The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 07:45:36 PM
It's actually quite intuitive when you learn the controls, but it's still way too boring with no enemy variety and it's easy to die. The game gets insanely boring when you can fly.
Idk, it took me like 3 minutes to kill a single flying enemy.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 07:45:36 PM
It's actually quite intuitive when you learn the controls, but it's still way too boring with no enemy variety and it's easy to die. The game gets insanely boring when you can fly.
Idk, it took me like 3 minutes to kill a single flying enemy.
Yeah, it is hard, but you can do it pretty fast with enough practice since I played through it 3 times (since my friend lent it to me) but it really doesn't matter since every enemy is exactly the same. The only time flying was used well was in the demo level where you fly to different points far across the map which is very first mission with the pack. You never even do that at any other point in the game.

It could have been good if they didn't get lazy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

?Inafune tried to work with Capcom, despite leaving, to make sure Legends 3 was completed. Capcom turned down his offer.

Well damn...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 04, 2012, 07:05:19 PM
They've also flirted with Ubisoft-tier DRM for some of their digital releases. Bionic Commando Rearmed and Final Fight Double Impact both make use of it. Surprisingly enough, Street Fighter II HD Remix and 3rd Strike Online don't, but they make up for it with that last one by offering options as DLC.

You can also throw in their refusal to localize more Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright because they're not meeting their ridiculous sales expectations, like how they believe Dragon's Dogma will sell 10 million copies.
I'd like to see a list of these DRM games so I'd know what to avoid.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 05, 2012, 06:51:07 PM
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 04, 2012, 07:05:19 PM
They've also flirted with Ubisoft-tier DRM for some of their digital releases. Bionic Commando Rearmed and Final Fight Double Impact both make use of it. Surprisingly enough, Street Fighter II HD Remix and 3rd Strike Online don't, but they make up for it with that last one by offering options as DLC.

You can also throw in their refusal to localize more Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright because they're not meeting their ridiculous sales expectations, like how they believe Dragon's Dogma will sell 10 million copies.
I'd like to see a list of these DRM games so I'd know what to avoid.
The only ones I know of are the games RSW mentioned, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, and the PC ports of Street Fighter games.

Daxdiv

Don't forget it's mostly the PS3 versions of this game that have the DRM. That must have sucked when PSN got knocked out last year.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the DRM is only on the PS3 versions for some reason.

also, Final Fight Double Impact has the DRM on the PS3. I'm pretty sure gsf will care about that one!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
I thought Dark Void was horrendous. Using the rocket pack in dogfights was practically impossible due to intensely slippery controls. *waiting for gsf to enter and make fun of me*
Are you kidding me? That game is rotting in my room. Desen was right.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 05, 2012, 09:00:59 PM
Yeah, the DRM is only on the PS3 versions for some reason.

also, Final Fight Double Impact has the DRM on the PS3. I'm pretty sure gsf will care about that one!
Well then I just won't buy it on the PS3. :awesome:

Eddy

I picked up Dark Void Zero today for a penny from Play N Trade (they're having a sale). The PS3 version because they didn't seem to have the 360 version. I have to say, so far it seems alright... but I guess I'm still at the fun part.

Peanutbutter

I asked this in the Things That Bother You About Gaming Thread, but I should have asked here. Why is Capcom making all these decisions? Has somebody new taken over the company a couple years ago or something?

Rosalinas Spare Wand

It's just the direction they're going in, and from the sounds of a few interviews, its the type of direction they would usually take had developers like Mikami and Inafune not been there to push new products. Inafune even admitted there was a time at Capcom where any non-sequel had no chance of being greenlit due to the money franchises like Mega Man and Resident Evil were bringing in.

Keiji Inafune's also the one that pushed for a focus on the western audience and western style games. The problem is, they took to mimicking the same kind of practices publishers like Activision and EA had began to use.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Capcom was doing well this generation until Inafune left.

Clover closing had to happen (sorry guys, they made like 6 games, and 5 bombed hard) and that was a shame, but they started to learn. They began fresh with new IPs, some Mega Man, and revival of Street Fighter. Good compilations of classics, new experiences on the digital front, and even a few franchise revivals. Heck, they nurtured Dead Rising into a legitimate franchise.

But then suddenly, they slowly seemed to lose it. Outsourcing DMC (which was extremely successful, 4 was the highest selling one) to a C-tier studio for no reason, killing Mega Man without even trying, milking their fighters instead of offering content (MK already proved this could work), and then blaming the fans for their own missteps.... well, you know the rest.

It didn't start when Inafune or even Mikami left, it was sliding that way, but they made hard strides to prevent it. Once Inafune left it's like they just threw their hands in the air and gave up.

Spark Of Spirit

Apparently there was a leak of Lost Planet 3 at Captivate.

Lost Planet 3?!?

All those Mega Man games were canceled, and Capcom is making a Lost Planet 3 when 2 bombed worse than the original Legends games??? Yeah, I officially don't understand anything about this company.

Rynnec

There were people who justified the cancelation of Legends 3 because the first two didn't sell well.

Wonder what they have to say about this?