Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Foggle

If it doesn't include the Wii game, I hope the Wii U version can at least be played using the Wiimote. I kind of lost interest in the title once I heard about how the controls work.

Nel_Annette

Huh. I usually only see NIS titles on PS3 (you know, anime-weeaboo RPG type stuff). Intrigued.

Foggle

As much as I didn't particularly care for Arkham City, Arkham Asylum is still one of my favorite games from last gen, and I think Arkham Knight looks pretty great. It's also rated M. That's new.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Arkham Asylum benefited from being to the point with its gameplay. It wasn't a very big or long game, but it knew how to pace itself and keep just enough variety so that the game felt fresh throughout the experience. And since the game world was more enclosed and not overwhelmingly big, it was actually encouraging and purposeful to explore it.

Arkham City was basically just bigger for the sake of being bigger. The game world was bigger, but the city outside of the inside facilities was incredibly repetitive with lots of clone buildings and few real highlights. There were more sidequests, but it only served to highlight the lack of gameplay variety since they were all shittier versions of main story missions and never had any worthwhile rewards for completion, or even a proper boss fight (conversely,  look at Darksiders 2 for an example of a contemporary game that at least knows how to do sidequests right). Basically, they added way more content without doing much of anything to add any substance to the gameplay mechanics, and it only highlighted how shallow it all was. That's why I didn't like AC. Unless AK has managed to avoid that same mistake, it'll end up being the same problem all over again.

Foggle

I would say AK seems to be adding more substance to the open world/side content, but we'll have no way of knowing until it comes out.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I actually got a complete bundle of Origins/Blackgate/story DLC for around $8 from Steam about a year ago, but I've still yet to play it. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't heard much good about Blackgate. Considering they're ex-Retro guys, that's pretty bizarre.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I'll give it a fair shake one of these days. But perhaps, much like the developers of Sonic Boom and Naughty Dog, there's a reason these guys don't work for Retro anymore...

Nel_Annette

From what I remember of seeing Blackgate on YouTube, one of the big complaints I noticed just by watching was that the map was really confusing to navigate. Like, you play in 2D but the map of the building is shown in 3D, so it's like having to navigate through layers of 2D maps, as if there were several backgrounds and foregrounds you could move to. In addition, the blandness and darkness of the rooms you explore make it a bit hard to see exactly where you can exit to other rooms in the background.

Spark Of Spirit

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Peanutbutter

I just now learned from AlphaOmegaSin that thanks to Square Enix's Collective, Gex and Fear Effect could both get a comeback.  :shakeshakeshake:

Never played Gex, but I LOVE Fear Effect. I hope this becomes reality.

Foggle