Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Speaking of Disney, out of the "Big Three", I'm starting to wonder if I really consider Disney dead last back in the 90s. I think when it just comes to cartoons, Nick was overrated back then. I only think Hey Arnold!, Doug and Rocko are the only good toons they had. I never got into Ahhhhh Real Monsters, on Angry Beavers they were practically were speaking a foreign language and I lost interest in Rugrats when I was like 8. I of course almost never had Disney channel and the only show I remember seeing a good amount of episodes of is GoofTroop but thinking about this makes me wonder...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 05, 2012, 06:17:39 AMI think when it just comes to cartoons, Nick was overrated back then. I only think Hey Arnold!, Doug and Rocko are the only good toons they had. I never got into Ahhhhh Real Monsters, on Angry Beavers they were practically were speaking a foreign language and I lost interest in Rugrats when I was like 8.

The only head-and-shoulders above average Nicktoons from that era IMHO were The Angry Beavers, KaBlam! (until Sniz & Fondue left, those shorts were awesome), and Rocko's Modern Life, which I still contend is the single greatest thing Nick has ever put on the air. Doug was too squeaky-clean for my tastes, Hey, Arnold! alternatively bored and annoyed me and I could never get into the Klasky-Csupo shows. But yeah, the Nicktoons as a whole were overrated; I thought that even back then.

As for Disney, I liked some of the Disney Afternoon shows more than others (I couldn't get into Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers or Timon & Pumbaa, Duck Daze/Quack Pack was ambitious, but a confused mess, and given its' tumultuous history, it's no wonder, and Tale Spin looked really good, but the stories were just 'eh'), but looking back on the Disney shows now, seeing as how currently Disney seems to believe that the classic shorts and features characters are only good for entertaining toddlers (all the shows starring Disney's iconic characters automatically go to Disney Junior), the Disney Afternoon seems like a Golden Age in comparison. Sure, it's great that Disney is still doing stuff with Mickey and the gang and some of the movie characters, but I think they could be doing more than entertaining wee tots.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

Whoa, they put their best characters on Disney Jr? :wth: I didn't even know there was a Disney Junior. Again, I have barely had the channel. Even during these days. :D

I feel the same way about Doug and Arnold themselves but their supporting casts are so fun and colorful, which is what made me go back to those shows again and again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

SWAT Kats has aged well. In terms of its dialogue and animation of the first season, it holds up just fine. The second season's animation can sometimes look a little stilted, but the writing is even better than the first. To me, there's a difference between a series holding up well and some fans just outgrowing in favor of other works over it.

Avaitor

Disney Channel didn't have any original animated series until the early aughts, so until then, their cartoon department relied on Disney Afternoon repeats and Ink and Paint Club classics, if you were lucky to catch some of those. There's some good stuff in there, and I did like the channel when it was on, but I still sided with CN and Nick. Cartoon Network had the best of all worlds, while Nick's originals were a hell of a lot more creative than what they spit out today, even if their shows aren't perfect.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 05, 2012, 10:11:01 AM
SWAT Kats has aged well. In terms of its dialogue and animation of the first season, it holds up just fine. The second season's animation can sometimes look a little stilted, but the writing is even better than the first. To me, there's a difference between a series holding up well and some fans just outgrowing in favor of other works over it.

I suppose that's true. I guess I've just never really been in Swat Kats' power (of the 2 TBS Sunday Mornings in Front of the Television shows, I liked 2 Stupid Dogs a little more. (But I'm generally more into comedy that action overall.)

And I guess I have to backtrack on a previous statement a bit: some classic Disney shorts do still air on Disney Channel; they air as fillers between shows under the umbrella title Have A Laugh!. It just strikes me as curious how there haven't been any mainstream new general audience TV shows starring any Disney shorts or features characters since House of Mouse. The current and upcoming shows starring those characters (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Sophia the First and 7D, which won't debut until 2014) are all slated for Disney Junior (though Sophia the First is supposed to get a sneak preview on Disney Channel proper). You'd think with the advent of all the various cable channels Disney owns, they'd be willing to try something along the lines of the Disney Afternoon nowadays on one of them.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I've never really liked What's Opera Doc, honestly.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I don't understand the love for Gravity Falls. I mean I saw a few episodes and it was good, but it seems about as average as CN's Monday night comedies. I get the ironic factor for My Little Pony, and the pre-installed fanbase for the Legend of Korra, but Gravity Falls just strikes me as another case of a decent cartoon stuck on the Disney channel and hyped by fans because its the only thing the channel has going for it.

Dr. Insomniac

Gravity Falls has Wendy and incest pairings. There's your explanation.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on October 05, 2012, 10:22:39 PM
I don't understand the love for Gravity Falls. I mean I saw a few episodes and it was good, but it seems about as average as CN's Monday night comedies. I get the ironic factor for My Little Pony, and the pre-installed fanbase for the Legend of Korra, but Gravity Falls just strikes me as another case of a decent cartoon stuck on the Disney channel and hyped by fans because its the only thing the channel has going for it.
I think it has potential that shines through in some episodes, but some of them (mostly all pairing based) really don't impress me all that much. I do like the paranormal bent, and the humor that comes from it, but the parts that take place outside of the paranormal stuff that don't deal with the kids or Gideon kind of annoys me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Quote from: Avaitor on October 05, 2012, 08:57:54 PM
"Rabbit of Seville">"What's Opera, Doc?"
I'm not sure that's really an unpopular opinion, it seemed to be the general consensus back at GAC at least.

I like What's Opera, Doc?, but it's at the point in Jones' career where he was starting to go downhill.  I don't really like the style in which Bugs and Elmer are drawn, and unfortunately that's the way Jones took the characters from that point on.  Cartoons like "Rabbit of Seville" and the Hunting Trilogy are perfect though, classic Jones design, story, and wit all the way through.

And futhermore, while Gene Deitch's Tom and Jerrys are known as mediocre cartoons, I like them quite a bit more than I like Jones' T&Js.  I don't think many of Deitch's cartoons are that much worse than the later run of the MGM cartoons, and they have a certain charm to them.  Jones' T&Js are just ugly and boring, and the music is aggravating.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I get what you mean. Jone's artwork became increasingly more cutesy and kitschy when he went along.

For another UO, I can't stand "The Dot and the Line". I think it's as dull as dishwater.

As for Gravity Falls, I think what sells it for me is that it doesn't contain Adventure Time and Regular Show's obnoxious bro-humor or MLP's horrifically irritating pre-school morals of the day (there are still lessons, but no one writes to Princess Celestia), and is more of a concise laugh-fest. It does share some elements from these shows, like an interesting mythology, but for some reason Falls speaks to me more than any of these.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on October 06, 2012, 12:09:43 PM
As for Gravity Falls, I think what sells it for me is that it doesn't contain Adventure Time and Regular Show's obnoxious bro-humor or MLP's horrifically irritating pre-school morals of the day (there are still lessons, but no one writes to Princess Celestia), and is more of a concise laugh-fest. It does share some elements from these shows, like an interesting mythology, but for some reason Falls speaks to me more than any of these.

Everything said here, basically, on top of the fact that it has nice character development (there's a lot more to Stan than just "greedy old uncle", for example; the second episode with the lake monster especially proves this), a touching brother and sister relationship that's a refreshing change of pace from most brother/sister tropes where they both hate each others guts... and hey, it's just damn funny. You find me another kids cartoon on TV right now with writing this solid, and I will eat my hat.

I unabashedly love the show in its current state (only two things I don't like about it are Pacifica and Robbie, both minor annoyances at best), and until the episode quality begins to suffer, will continue to do so. It's a great show, and for me, easily one of the best things on television right now.

SSJ Jake

Mmkay

-I don't like The Emperor's New Groove. Not even Patrick Warburton and Ertha Kitt could save the movie for me. On it's own it's an average movie at best, but then make David Spade the main character and you've got a piece of crap, in my opinion at least. Can't say I like the guy.

-I don't get the appeal of The Thief and the Cobbler. Even if it was finished the way it was originally intended it still would have been a dull, though admittedly visually stunning, movie. It's basically a long Pink Panther cartoon.

-I think Pelswick isn't as bad as many make it out to be. I used to hate it but now that I know more about it's creator I have more respect for the show.

-I don't really mind Bronies as much as some do. Just a bunch of geeks having fun.

-I like The Looney Tunes Show.

-I hate The Clone Wars, that is the CGI series currently airing, not Tartakovsky's miniseries.

I'll explain the last two more later.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND