The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Didn't I make a joke post about this last year? :lol:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 09, 2013, 04:07:59 PM
We may have dodged a bullet here.
Mega Man would have a new human sidekick, a Bruce Willis-like police officer. :shit:

Looks like it could have been a good game, just not a good Mega Man game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If they wanted to make a new Mega Man X game, they could have just made Mega Man X 9 in the 16-bit graphics style (akin to how they did a new 8-bit Mega Man game back with MM9), but then I remembered that an idea like this would make far too much sense, hence Capcom would never do it.

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 09, 2013, 06:13:10 PM
Looks like it could have been a good game, just not a good Mega Man game.

Pretty much this.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 09, 2013, 07:03:53 PM
If they wanted to make a new Mega Man X game, they could have just made Mega Man X 9 in the 16-bit graphics style (akin to how they did a new 8-bit Mega Man game back with MM9), but then I remembered that an idea like this would make far too much sense, hence Capcom would never do it.
That's not the point. They wanted to make a FPS Mega Man...sure that's not a good idea but still.

I hope Capcom continues to announce projects that we care about and then canning this has little to do with that
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

I don't know, I think a first person Mega Man could have been good. People thought they were nuts when Metroid went first person and Metroid Prime is one of the most celebrated games of all time. And Maverick Hunter had people who worked on Prime on board.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on April 27, 2013, 02:35:03 PM
I don't know, I think a first person Mega Man could have been good. People thought they were nuts when Metroid went first person and Metroid Prime is one of the most celebrated games of all time. And Maverick Hunter had people who worked on Prime on board.
Agreed.

Rynnec

I'm not completely against an FPS Megaman, but I am against the art style they used. Making it a reboot would be pointless too since the last X game was a remake. A MMX FPS with the traditional artstyle and set in the same continuity would be fine.

Spark Of Spirit

Platforming and difficulty isn't central to Metroid's design though.

Unless it played like Mirror's Edge with shooting like DOOM or Serious Sam then it wouldn't be Mega Man. I don't see Capcom putting the thought or time into something like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 29, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Metroid Prime is fookin' tough though!

And I would definitely argue that platforming is a key component of Metroid's design. And Prime has a lot of it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 29, 2013, 04:17:20 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 29, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Metroid Prime is fookin' tough though!

And I would definitely argue that platforming is a key component of Metroid's design. And Prime has a lot of it.
But Metroid isn't Mega Man. (I also don't think it's very tough compared to Mega Man  :P)

Mega Man is linear in level design (other than choosing a boss), fast-paced, intensely challenging, and simple. Metroid is based on exploration, slower paced, not all too hard (clunky Metroid 1 aside), and pretty broad.

I don't think making a Mega Man game like Metroid is the way too go.

Eddy

I still say with the right approach it could be done well. Based on the few videos of Maverick Hunter footage I saw it looked like there was a bit of platforming in it.

I can see why the redesign of X would rub some people the wrong way but at least it didn't look as bad as the "gritty" Bomberman Zero.

Daikun

talonmalon333