The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2015, 10:23:07 PM
Why do you say that?
Well, it used modern RE's third-person camera, for one.

Wait, it did? I saw the remake and I don't remember it having that.

But that's not something I personally mind much. Wouldn't be surprised if the official remake uses it.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 10:31:02 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2015, 10:23:07 PM
Why do you say that?
Well, it used modern RE's third-person camera, for one.
I might get to play it then.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2015, 10:32:48 PM
Wait, it did? I saw the remake and I don't remember it having that.
It originally offered an option for both viewpoints, but eventually they scrapped the classic camera angles entirely.

QuoteBut that's not something I personally mind much. Wouldn't be surprised if the official remake uses it.
I personally would not want to play an RE2 remake that didn't play like classic Resident Evil. It should be done REmake-style or not at all IMO.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 18, 2015, 10:41:01 PM
I might get to play it then.
Cinematic camera angles don't mean tank controls. REmake HD has an option to switch to a more user-friendly control scheme, as do Silent Hill 2 and 3 (the PC versions, at least). Look at it this way - would you have been happy if Metroid: Zero Mission was first-person like Metroid Prime? Sure, it probably still would have been a great game, but it isn't what most of the older fans would want.

talonmalon333

That could be nice, but ultimately, we just don't live in the same game world we did in the 90s. Fixed camera angles and aiming isn't the norm now.

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 10:45:43 PMSure, it probably still would have been a great game, but it isn't what most of the older fans would want.

Over the years, I've actually heard much support for RE4-style remakes of the old games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Silent Hill 2 also has the option to switch to analogue controls instead of tank controls on the XBOX version. I know this because I watched a friend play part of this game once, and when he started a new file it asked him which control scheme he wanted to use between classic (tank) or modified (analogue) controls.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 18, 2015, 10:52:00 PM
That could be nice, but ultimately, we just don't live in the same game world we did in the 90s. Fixed camera angles and aiming isn't the norm now.
It's not, but if they're straight-up remaking a game from a time period where that was the norm, it would only make sense.

QuoteOver the years, I've actually heard much support for RE4-style remakes of the old games.
So have I, and most of those people hadn't actually played any Resident Evil games pre-4.

I'm not trying to be an elitist, but seriously, putting a third-person camera in RE2 would render an already-easy game virtually impossible to lose. If they wanted to do it properly, they'd have to completely redesign everything to the point where it probably wouldn't even resemble RE2 anymore. Knowing modern Capcom, the moment they implement a third-person camera will be the moment they introduce RE6 gameplay and destroy what made Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 2.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 18, 2015, 10:54:14 PM
Silent Hill 2 also has the option to switch to analogue controls instead of tank controls on the XBOX version. I know this because I watched a friend play part of this game once, and when he started a new file it asked him which control scheme he wanted to use between classic (tank) or modified (analogue) controls.
Ah, yes! I think the PC release is actually a port of the Xbox version.

Peanutbutter

The bad camera angles didn't add anything special to the originals, and those parts just don't hold up anymore. If they want to leave that stuff in as an option fine, but Revelations used RE4's camera work and still very much felt like I was playing one of the originals. Atmosphere is what counts most in survival horror games.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 11:00:59 PM
if they're straight-up remaking a game from a time period where that was the norm, it would only make sense.

I mean, I suppose now more than anytime in the last ten years, and possibly the next ten years, it's possible that Capcom will decide to go wild and make it in the same style as REmake. After all, I think we can easily imagine that this remake was at least partially inspired by the recent HD release of REmake.

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 11:00:59 PMSo have I, and most of those people hadn't actually played any Resident Evil games pre-4.

So you admit to asking for RE4 style remakes of the old games? :P

Quote from: Foggle on August 18, 2015, 11:00:59 PMI'm not trying to be an elitist, but seriously, putting a third-person camera in RE2 would render an already-easy game virtually impossible to lose. If they wanted to do it properly, they'd have to completely redesign everything to the point where it probably wouldn't even resemble RE2 anymore. Knowing modern Capcom, the moment they implement a third-person camera will be the moment they introduce RE6 gameplay and destroy what made Resident Evil 2 Resident Evil 2.

I feel like it's a bit of an injustice to RE2 to define it on those things. I do think it's possible create a modernized remake while staying true to the spirit of the original. That's the important part. The spirit. Like, I think that, if they made an open world re-imagining of RE3 that opens up the entire world of Raccoon City to allow free roaming, it could be mind blowing.

And I thought RE5 did a decent job of pulling off a modernized classic RE feel with its prequel chapter. Also, I feel confident this remake won't be like RE6. Capcom themselves seems to realize that they've gone too far from their roots.

Foggle

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 19, 2015, 09:52:11 AM
The bad camera angles didn't add anything special to the originals, and those parts just don't hold up anymore.
The camera angles certainly did add to the atmosphere in REmake and RE0. The levels were designed around the camera in every single game up to and including RE4, and - without major tweaks - changing RE2 to third-person would make the game itself impossibly easy and the areas within it a lot less interesting. And it's not the camera that doesn't hold up - it's the tank controls. Which an RE2 remake would almost certainly not have.

QuoteIf they want to leave that stuff in as an option fine
I am not asking for them to not have a third-person camera at all, but if they want the support of longtime and older fans, completely changing the gameplay style will do them no favors.

QuoteRevelations used RE4's camera work and still very much felt like I was playing one of the originals.
Only maybe 1/3 of the time, and even then, its puzzles somehow managed to be even more rudimentary than those of the original games. After a certain point (and in cutaway levels, as well), it was basically just RE5 with no 2-player option.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 19, 2015, 10:23:31 AM
So you admit to asking for RE4 style remakes of the old games? :P
That's not what I said, but yes, I have. However, that was before Capcom released RE6 & Revelaitons 2 and started teetering on the line of bankruptcy. This was because I wanted to get my friends who couldn't handle the PS1 games into the series... but now, there's really no point, because they all think Resident Evil is a laughing stock sans 4 and REmake.

QuoteI feel like it's a bit of an injustice to RE2 to define it on those things. I do think it's possible create a modernized remake while staying true to the spirit of the original. That's the important part. The spirit. Like, I think that, if they made an open world re-imagining of RE3 that opens up the entire world of Raccoon City to allow free roaming, it could be mind blowing.
I don't disagree, but I also don't think 2015 Capcom is capable of doing that. I fully believe that RE2make will be a 1:1 remake with third-person camera only, no puzzles, RE6 gameplay mechanics, forced co-op, and microtransactions. I hope they prove me wrong.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, for me, I enjoyed what I played of Revelations and 4. I did not enjoy what I played of 1 and 2.

There was only one reason for my lack of enjoyment in the older games. If that was changed, I would play them. It's pretty simple as that as far as I go.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
Well, for me, I enjoyed what I played of Revelations and 4. I did not enjoy what I played of 1 and 2.
Revelations 1 is a pretty good game. I just don't think it's that close to classic RE in terms of gameplay or spirit.

I suggest trying out REmake HD with the new analogue control scheme. Makes it play just like MGS 1, which I know you like.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 19, 2015, 03:17:09 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
Revelations 1 is a pretty good game. I just don't think it's that close to classic RE in terms of gameplay or spirit.

I suggest trying out REmake HD with the new analogue control scheme. Makes it play just like MGS 1, which I know you like.
Next time I get a PSN card I'll give it a shot, then. I was going to wait for Gradius V to be put up, but that's probably never going to happen at this point.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2015, 03:18:56 PM
Next time I get a PSN card I'll give it a shot, then. I was going to wait for Gradius V to be put up, but that's probably never going to happen at this point.
Cool! Maybe wait until a sale, though, just in case you still don't like it. But I know for a fact that it's more the tank controls that bother people than the camera angles, as a lot of my friends have problems enjoying classic RE but still love SH2 and 3 (which have the analogue movement option). :)