Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And I just learned Satoshi Nishimura is directing Ushio & Tora. Now I have to watch it all.

Also, that OP is incredible on so many levels.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think that I can agree that Super is worse than GT, but it was definitely a very boring premiere. I'm all for trying to be more humorous like Dragon Ball, but whereas Dragon Ball actually had GOOD humor and a focused narrative to its story arcs, this premiere offers neither of those things.

Even DBZ's very filler-heavy premiere at least set up a new villain by the end of the episode. This show didn't even have that going for it (though, then again, the same could be said about GT). I'm thoroughly convinced that Toriyama's involvement in this project is more mininal than he lets on, and that Toei is just being cheap and lazy since this series will clearly make money for them no matter what they do.

LumRanmaYasha

The problem with Super is that it's story right now is literally just re-telling Battle of Gods and The Resurrection of 'F', but we've already seen the condensed versions of those stories and hence don't need to watch them again with less impressive animation and more padding. Apparently Super is being made with the idea of how Toriyama would have written the plots of the movies if he had done them in the manga right after finishing the Buu arc, and it shows, because the pacing of the episode totally feels like a chapter of the manga stretched out for 22 minutes with a bunch of filler added in. The show might pick up when they get to new material, but they probably will just ape the movies' plots for the first two cours (at least) and that's pretty lame.

Still, I can't not be interested in this week's episode. The comedic possibilities are too great for them to fuck it up.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2015, 01:26:33 PM
And I just learned Satoshi Nishimura is directing Ushio & Tora. Now I have to watch it all.

Yeah, with how great Hajime no Ippo and Trigun were as adaptions I have confidence that U&T will remain an entertaining show beginning to end. 

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 09, 2015, 01:26:33 PM
Also, that OP is incredible on so many levels.

Yup. Hands down the best opening of the season. It also probably has the best ending too, but I haven't watched them all yet.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Seeing as how HnI and Trigun are two of my favorite anime, I really should check out U&T.

As for DBS, it's Dragon Ball, so no matter how bad it might turn out (though I wouldn't outright call it bad, yet), I will shamelessly stick with it since DB is one of my favorite manga of all time, and if my nostalgic attachment to the franchise was enough to get me to suffer through all of GT, I don't believe that keeping up with Super would be a problem.

Still, I wish that it was a sequel to BOG and ROF, rather than a re-tread of them. I've already seen the former, and would rather see the latter as a film. I just want new stories.

Spark Of Spirit

U&T is going to be a 39 episode series cutting out all the filler and one-shots and instead adapting the major arcs. Normally I'd be wary when it comes to something like that, but not when it comes to Nishimura. Also from what I've seen compared to the old OVA, he has managed to distill the essence of the story very well. Will definitely be keeping up with it.

As for Super, well, I am disappointed that it's adapting the movies. That really isn't anything I wanted to see, and will be a waste of the 100 episode run if they're too draggy and filler-heavy. Maybe I'll catch back up when this movie stuff is done, but by then my interest might well be drained.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LordGoku

To be honest I liked Super. It's clear that either Toriyama or Toei is trying to tap into that cartoonish comedic side of Dragonball, and for me personally I think it did it pretty well. It was childish and it didn't really set things up aside from Beerus, but I think focusing on the going ons of the daily lives of the heroes is kind of what Dragonball needs for the moment. Because right now the public mindset for Dragonball is that it's 100% action all the time instead of the comedy that really made it good. So I feel being comedic for a little while then having the spectacular fights might be for the best. Plus while it's in comedy mode you can set things up for later down the line.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm actually all for DB being more comedic than action-driven again. My problem with Super's premiere is that nothing in it was particularly funny, IMO. I like the aspect of the heroes having down time and their own personal moments, but those only work as breaks after focused story arcs. Starting out a series that way just makes it feel like it could be a chore to watch, IMO.

LordGoku

In that respect I see what your saying. If the comedy doesn't work then neither does the episode. It does remind me of the recent Dragonball movies though. Also the scene with Videl, Goten and Trunks that was pretty heartwarming for me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I did like that scene, but something like that would work better if it came as part of a character arc rather than just as a moment in and of itself. What I mean is something like the heartwarming bonding moments between Gohan and Piccolo, both of whom had dual character arcs going on when Piccolo was training Gohan. We've hardly ever seen Goten and Trunks interact with Videl in any meaningful way in DBZ, so the moment doesn't come off meaning much other than being an admittedly cute scene for what it is, IMO.

LordGoku

I think it's too early to say conclusively, but this might lead into Videl having more time with the Son family, Goten in particular. She is getting married to Gohan so I would assume that she would be going along with their adventure to some degree. Plus, obviously, this will give Gohan some screentime.

Lord Dalek

Spark Of Spirit

The Death Note adaption looks like it was written by those fans who used to write essay length posts about how Light really was a good guy and just misunderstood. There's just something creepy about that section of the fanbase that I'm not really sure should be catered to like this.

Lord Dalek

LordGoku

Hey I was wondering, is anyone going to do a column on Resurrection F, and if not may I do it?