Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 26, 2014, 12:09:06 AM
Tell the aficionados that I said they are incredibly pretentious and need to look at a dictionary sometime. :>
Oh, I agree with you. "Survival horror" is really just a buzzword (buzzphrase?) Mikami and/or Capcom came up with to advertise the original Resident Evil anyway. It does seem kind of snobbish of people to think they can say what does and what doesn't belong to the survival horror genre.

QuoteWell, I'd argue that RE4 still had a suitable portion of puzzle-solving and non-action focused segments. And while it does have more action than previous R e games, I've actually seen people call all of the classic RE games more action focused than Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, which I think is hilarious considering his much less combat those games have than most horror games these days.
This is all true. I've long been a proponent of RE4 not actually deviating that much from the intent of the original games. I mean, RE3 was already pretty action-focused, and 4 still included puzzles as well as, well, horror. Anyone who says they weren't scared of the Novistadors or Regenerators or Garradors or Verdugo or Oven Man on their first playthrough is lying. Honestly, I think 4 is much scarier than all of its predecessors except for REmake. All the original 1 has is the dogs through the window and itchy tasty, all 2 has is the interrogation room mirror and Mr. X, and all 3 has is Nemesis. 0 and CV don't even have any notable scary parts.

QuoteEven so, the ability to do so is still present, and like I've said, the developers did intend for you to fight more than flee in those games. From what I've heard, they made the AI smarter in RE4 and designed them to lunge at you because they knew people had a tendency to skip fights, and the developers didn't want them doing that anymore. It just makes a stronger case that they still wanted actual combat to happen in the previous games as well.
Hm. Good point.

QuoteWell, in that regard, I did also point out how RE4's gameplay dealt with "surviving" situations which were also intended to be scary. It's action, yes, but it's still also a form of survival, especially with some fights where you had to mix shooting with also knowing when to run away.
I've made this argument before against other RE fans who were bashing 4. It didn't go well. :'(

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 26, 2014, 12:17:38 AM
Actually, the important thing is that TEW is basically the long awaited RE5 that took nearly 10 years to come out.
Exactly. Though it might actually be RE6 depending on how you view Shadows of the Damned.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, so we can all agree that the genre elitists are pretentious nit-pickers. :thumbup:

As for SotD, while I still haven't played it, I always viewed it as more of Grasshopper game than a Mikami one, and at that it was horror with a comedic edge (and I mean actual "intentional" humor, as opposed to classic RE's "golden" writing and voice acting).

Foggle

I'd argue that RE4 had a bunch of intentional comedy as well, though of course that was more Bruce Campbell style one-liners than actual goofiness. Then again, Wikipedia tells me that Mikami was only "creative producer" on SotD, so who knows how much involvement he actually had in its creation.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Vague Wii-U release schedule.

It does at least confirm that we are getting those new Zelda and Star Fox games next year (at least assuming that thy don't get delayed).

It looks like next year would be the perfect time for me to get a Wii-U and have a reasonable backlog of good games to play as well as a decent amount to look forward to.

talonmalon333

I may get one at the end of next year for those games, as well as any I need to catch up on.

Foggle

Next year (and the rest of this year) is going to be awesome for video games in general. Even the Bone is looking to get some fantastic exclusives by the end of 2015.

Unless you're planning on getting into PC gaming. If the whole 4GB VRAM and i7 base system requirements template actually catches on for upcoming games, then - for the first time - the market really will be closed off to everyone who isn't super rich. I'm legitimately considering quitting the PC outside of old games and indies.

talonmalon333

Will that really be more expensive than consistently buying the new consoles?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 28, 2014, 07:23:40 PM
Will that really be more expensive than consistently buying the new consoles?
A 4GB VRAM card alone costs more than the Wii U did at launch. New consoles are only released every 6-8 years, and with that new hardware usually comes the only significant jumps in PC requirements, meaning you'd only really need to upgrade your gaming computer at the beginning of each gen. But instead of the console hardware being behind the curve like it's always been in the past, this time Sony and Microsoft went out of their way to have excellent specs. Merely upgrading my PC isn't even an option at this point; I'd literally have to buy all new components. Which would easily cost more than both the Wii U and the PS4 combined... and those are the only systems I want, anyway. With The Witcher 3 coming to consoles and Devolver Digital now publishing games on the PS4, I honestly can't see there being any PC exclusives I'd care about anymore, either.

I love my Steam and GOG sales, but I'm pretty much done with PC gaming at this point. I have lower standards for what constitutes good graphics and performance than most people, and these days I don't have as much free time to futz around with incompetent port jobs, so I'd rather just go back to playing on home consoles like when I was a kid.

talonmalon333

People have believed gaming should just move to PC completely. If you're right, I wonder if that's going to change.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 28, 2014, 07:39:21 PM
People have believed gaming should just move to PC completely. If you're right, I wonder if that's going to change.
Well, within 3-4 years, the hardware prices will drop and PC gaming will probably be more cost effective than console gaming again. And by then they'll have components that'll make the PS4's graphics and frame rate look like old hat.

PC gives the user more personalization options and is - of course - an open platform, but not everyone wants that. At this point, I just want to play video games. Nothing has actually changed except for hardware costs (temporarily) and my own attitude toward gaming.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Best of luck getting used to console FPS controls! :>

talonmalon333

We can play them with Wiimotes/PlayStation Move. :happytime:

Foggle

I'm probably just going to stop buying new FPS at this point, honestly. With Monolith gone from the shooter development scene and Gearbox having earned my indefinite ire, I can only really see myself picking up FPS made by Valve, Flying Wild Hog, and Croteam from now on.

I will always love F.E.A.R. and all those old 90's shooters, though.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 28, 2014, 08:25:03 PM
We can play them with Wiimotes/PlayStation Move. :happytime:
I really need to upload a vomiting emoticon.