DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And we can't get a Superman movie that looks anything like that, why?

Seriously, very good first episode. It's very clearly got that Arrow and Flash touch to it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'm watching Supergirl now, and it's pretty good thus far. Not without its problems, like a too obnoxiously-aggressive boss, and some iffy performances from the supporting characters.

Kara is great, though, and I already like her character. I'm definitely going to stick around for this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not really feeling Supergirl, going by the premiere. There's certainly potential, here, but at least half of the supporting actors suck, hard, and the writing seems more along the lines of your standard network-fare, like Gotham, which is certainly not a good thing.

On the plus side, I find that, despite a shaky start, Kara's actress has the chops to grow into the character, and Jimmy Olson is a decent supporting character, as well. I also like how this series isn't at all shy about getting straight into the whole Kryptonian mythology right from the start, so that leaves all sorts of possibilities open for great future story-lines.

As of now, though, the writing and acting are in dire need of improvement. Watching this back-to-back with The Flash and Arrow highlighted just how much better those shows are than more typical network television, and it's a level of quality that Supergirl should strive for, as a show.

On another note, The Flash was really good this week,  but Arrow was fantastic. I can't wait for the next episode. While I didn't care for Constantine as a show, I did really like the character himself and the guy who played him. I'm glad that they at least managed to save him and integrate him into the Flarrow-verse.

Avaitor

The most important thing about this week's episode is the foreshadowing for Wally West's arrival.

But it and Arrow have been off to a good start so far. I do agree that Supergirl isn't on their level yet, but I'm optimistic enough to stick around.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

When it comes to Supergirl, you also have to remember that it was the first episode. None of the DC shows have had an amazing first episode yet. I'd wait a few to see how good it will or won't be, but I do agree that it wasn't amazing much more than it was just enjoyable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Like I said, there's definitely potential with it, so I'll be sticking around.

Spark Of Spirit

Season 4 of Arrow is great so far. Both Constantine and HIVE have been great additions so far, but man, Laurel has been at her worst these last few episodes. I'm not even a hater of the character, but she really was pretty unbearable during this whole Sara fiasco.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's one strange thing about Arrow and The Flash. Whenever one show is doing better with something, the other seems to be doing worse. With Arrow, Laurel's character is really aggravating right now. But having really hated Iris during season 1 of The Flash, I've found that the writers listened to criticisms and are actually improving her character for this season.

Anyways, it was great to see Matt Ryan return as Constantine. Like I said, the show itself was sub-par, but his portrayal of the character was great, and this crossover episode was better than any given episode of the actual show that he starred in. It just goes to prove that he could make for a great character if given good material to work with in the first place. I REALLY hope that they can bring him back again and make him a permanent supporting character in the Flarrow-Verse. I understand that they can't do that so soon, but personally I think that he'd make a great addition to the crew for Legends of Tomorrow if that ever gets future seasons.

I also appreciate how they used his theme music from the NBC series.

Avaitor

Never having seen Constantine, I thought that his appearance was solid, and he had good chemistry with Oliver, probably better than some of the main cast even. I'd totally be down to see more of him on the show.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He probably won't be featured at any point later in this season since he was only contracted for this one episode, and he's also apparently working on a Broadway play,  currently, so he's probably got his hands full. That said, I've heard that he's expressed interest in continuing the role based on various interviews, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the showrunners bring him back for future season appearances.

Spark Of Spirit

Well.

Spoiler
Barry got the stuffing knocked out of him and nearly broken in half. What in the world is Zoom made of, anyway?
[close]

I'm wondering if this version of Zoom has some flavor of The Rival in him from the comics. Some of his lines seemed to hint at some relation to it.

Did anyone notice The Arrow's entire Earth 2 history was just parsed out in a flashback to Harrison Wells before his daughter was kidnapped? That was really clever. I wonder if they'll do anything else with it.

Avaitor

CBS is swapping episodes of Supergirl out.

Well, technically, since the episode meant to air tomorrow isn't scheduled to air at another time yet. But hey, Livewire will be in this episode! That's okay.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That Livewire episode was the best one so far. Cat Grant is definitely up there as one of my favorite Arrowverse characters.

In other news, the CW's ratings are at an all-time high:

QuoteThe CW outran Fox and ABC in the Nov. 10 ratings race, scoring a third-place finish among English-language broadcasters in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. For most of the other networks, that would mean room for improvement. For the CW, it represented a historic high. The network had not finished above fourth place on a night in which all the English-language broadcasters aired only original episodes since 2008.

Whether it can duplicate the feat Tuesday night will depend on whether its strongest show can maintain its momentum and how well its competitors can recover after stumbling in the first months of the season.

The CW's isn't built to challenge the Big Four on a nightly basis. Its primary focus for advertisers has been on the 18-34 demo; its business model is based largely on a lucrative licensing deal with Netflix. But it leaped to the middle of the pack for one night last week thanks to its hottest and most consistent performer: "The Flash."

From the time it premiered in 2014, "The Flash" has been the highest rated show in the CW's nine-year history. On Nov. 10, the DC superhero show drew a 1.5 live-plus-same day rating among viewers 18-49, good enough to finish third in the 8 p.m. time period behind NBC's "The Voice" and CBS' "NCIS."

More importantly, it was the fifth highest rated show of the evening out of 14 broadcast episodes. No Fox or ABC show outperformed "The Flash."
Not bad.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 19, 2015, 10:48:41 AM
That Livewire episode was the best one so far. Cat Grant is definitely up there as one of my favorite Arrowverse characters.

In other news, the CW's ratings are at an all-time high:

QuoteThe CW outran Fox and ABC in the Nov. 10 ratings race, scoring a third-place finish among English-language broadcasters in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. For most of the other networks, that would mean room for improvement. For the CW, it represented a historic high. The network had not finished above fourth place on a night in which all the English-language broadcasters aired only original episodes since 2008.

Whether it can duplicate the feat Tuesday night will depend on whether its strongest show can maintain its momentum and how well its competitors can recover after stumbling in the first months of the season.

The CW's isn't built to challenge the Big Four on a nightly basis. Its primary focus for advertisers has been on the 18-34 demo; its business model is based largely on a lucrative licensing deal with Netflix. But it leaped to the middle of the pack for one night last week thanks to its hottest and most consistent performer: "The Flash."

From the time it premiered in 2014, "The Flash" has been the highest rated show in the CW's nine-year history. On Nov. 10, the DC superhero show drew a 1.5 live-plus-same day rating among viewers 18-49, good enough to finish third in the 8 p.m. time period behind NBC's "The Voice" and CBS' "NCIS."

More importantly, it was the fifth highest rated show of the evening out of 14 broadcast episodes. No Fox or ABC show outperformed "The Flash."
Not bad.

Not surprised, Flash and Arrow have been CW's best shows in years, and they aren't melodramatic ABC Family teen drama knock-offs that Dawn Ostroff dumped on them (TMC is still a nimrod but he was correct about how stupid that woman was). This is still great news to hear.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It also helps that they essentially have no competition from other TV networks.

Constantine was canceled by NBC and they got the rights to the character. Supergirl is a CBS show, but it's not competition since it's by the same production company and set in the same fictional Universe, hence it has a different air date that doesn't conflict with either of the CW shows. And then there's FOX's Gotham and ABC's Agents of SHIELD, both of which are absolute jokes, and FOX's Lucifer looks like garbage as well. The only other network show worth a damn is Agent Carter, which is actually great thanks to Kevin Feige's direct involvement, but it airs during the break-time of all of the other big comic book shows, so once again, it's not direct competition for the CW shows.

And of course the Netflix Marvel shows are their own thing and by nature don't directly compete with any network shows.

So, yeah, I don't see anything dethroning Arrow or The Flash anytime soon.