Resident Evil: A thread for the undead!

Started by Eddy, April 10, 2012, 09:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 16, 2015, 05:29:27 PM
They should have done this remake before Claire Redfield changed voice actors. I think she might have been the only character in the series with a truly good voice actor/actress. Everyone else always sounded like they were just phoning it in or hamming it up.
You know, I've always seen people say this, and I just can't agree. I don't mean this as an insult toward her actress, since it's mostly bad voice direction that ruined the post-RE1 performances, but I never thought her acting was particularly good outside of maybe DSC. Besides, the hammy acting is a big part of what makes Resident Evil so great (RE2 Chief Irons, RE5 Wesker, and everyone in RE4 are top tier B-horror cheese).

But yeah, Alyson Court will be missed in the remake. As will Paul Mercier and Sally Cahill. And the fucking guy who played Chief Irons... his performance makes me die laughing every time.

talonmalon333

I don't mean in RE2. She did sound awkward in that game. But I think she sounded natural in everything after it. She's done a decent amount of work, so she has the experience.

And yeah, RE4 Leon does sound pretty natural, too, but that's almost different since he was practically winking at the camera at all times. He was awful in that CGI movie, though that might have been caused by bad direction.

Quote from: Foggle on August 16, 2015, 07:53:32 PMBesides, the hammy acting is a big part of what makes Resident Evil so great (RE2 Chief Irons, RE5 Wesker, and everyone in RE4 are top tier B-horror cheese).

To an extent, yeah. But I think that became less of the case with each game after RE1, though it did become an attractive feature again in 4.

talonmalon333

So I only just heard about the existence of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Corps

Also, this:

QuoteCapcom have also given an apparent update on Resident Evil 7, with Umbrella Corps producers, Masachika Kawata and James Vance revealing to Gamespot that projects are being worked on that fit with the mainstream version of the franchise.

"Resident Evil still means survival horror to most people, but it's also a brand that has evolved over time," Kawata commented.

"It's been around for 20 years, and over that time it's seen a variety of spin-off and side titles. We think it's important to have a variety of experiences within that single brand.

"I think some people might have been surprised that we came out with a third-person shooter like this. But creating experiences that branch out from the core, mainline franchise has always been part of the Resident Evil series.

So I guess that "Guys please trust us we're going back to horror this time we swear" was another empty promise? Can't say I'm surprised.

gunswordfist

Why's this not in the Death of Capcom thread?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Peanutbutter

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 23, 2015, 12:45:27 PM
So I only just heard about the existence of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Corps

Also, this:

QuoteCapcom have also given an apparent update on Resident Evil 7, with Umbrella Corps producers, Masachika Kawata and James Vance revealing to Gamespot that projects are being worked on that fit with the mainstream version of the franchise.

"Resident Evil still means survival horror to most people, but it's also a brand that has evolved over time," Kawata commented.

"It's been around for 20 years, and over that time it's seen a variety of spin-off and side titles. We think it's important to have a variety of experiences within that single brand.

"I think some people might have been surprised that we came out with a third-person shooter like this. But creating experiences that branch out from the core, mainline franchise has always been part of the Resident Evil series.

So I guess that "Guys please trust us we're going back to horror this time we swear" was another empty promise? Can't say I'm surprised.

Doesn't sound like it necessarily to me. Though I can't really tell until some footage of RE7 releases.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that the bigger problem, here, is whether Capcom can even make an actual GOOD RE game, anymore. People hated the last few not just because they weren't scary, but also because they weren't even good at being action games, but were just mediocre games altogether, survival horror or not (at least as far as the majority of people feel).

talonmalon333

I've heard good things about the first Revelations game, so I think they could potentially still pull it off. At this point, they just seem to be more interested in making low tier action games.

If they need to get those action games out of their system, they should at least make a new franchise and then try to steer Resident Evil back to its roots.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

talonmalon333

Recently, I finally got a chance to play through 7. Overall, I loved it. They really did a wonderful job of not only returning the series to form, but surpassing the classics in many ways. This was one of the scariest games I ever played (never got to play P.T., since Konami took it off). And as a true survival horror, it not only doubles down on the horror, but also the survival element. I really felt like I was just barely scrapping by on supplies for most of the time, and I mean that in the best way. They did a good job of scaling down the storytelling and stripping away the traditional Resident Evil characters (which I enjoyed playing as in the past, but am mostly ready to move away from). All in all, I would probably call this the second best game in the series, after 4.

Spoiler

My only issues with it came in the last few hours, when it started to connect itself more with the rest of the series. Jack's giant monster form was too cheesy and comparable with the stuff from 5 and 6 (I actually laughed out loud when he cursed me out :D), and the decision that immediately followed it to choose between saving your wife or someone you met on the phone a few hours ago was just too easy. After that, I really enjoyed playing as Mia and losing all of the items I got as Ethan, but once the story became about Eveline it kind of lost me. Returning to Ethan and having both his and Mia's weapons made me feel a bit too powerful, thus stripping away the feeling of helplessness, and the last fight with monster Eveline was, again, over the top.
[close]

Ultimately, I found those issues with the ending to be minor compared with how good the game was, as a whole. I've since watched the trailer for 8 and am very excited for it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still need to get around to more RE games. I absolutely loved RE4 back when I played it nearly a decade ago and I have had the RE Origins collection for years now but still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I was planning to start earlier this month in the spirit of Halloween but got preoccupied with other games and kind of missed the boat on that. :sweat:

Still, I'll be sure to get around to it at some point and then play through the mainline games. Right now I'm playing all of the main Zelda games that I've never played before, and am almost done with Twilight Princess. After that I still have Majora's Mask (3DS version; I used to own the N64 version but don't have it anymore, and I got half-way through but never beat it), The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Zelda II, and Skyward Sword. I have all of those (Zelda II in the Switch's NES library) except for Skyward Sword since I don't own a Wii. I'm excluding the Four Swords and Triforce Heroes games since I don't have any friends who like gaming to play them with. You'd think that Nintendo would have re-released them with online multi-player by now, but then you remember that getting Nintendo to pay any official attention to their post SNES-era or portable classics is like pulling teeth.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 31, 2020, 03:31:43 PM
I still need to get around to more RE games. I absolutely loved RE4 back when I played it nearly a decade ago and I have had the RE Origins collection for years now but still haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I was planning to start earlier this month in the spirit of Halloween but got preoccupied with other games and kind of missed the boat on that. :sweat:

If you've got access to every game in the series, I think most of them are worth playing. If you were to narrow things down, I think that in 2020, the must-play games are Resident Evil 1 remake (I have a lot of nostalgia for the original, but at this point can totally admit that the remake was a perfect improvement), 2, 4, and 7.

That being said, I'm just starting the remake of 2 now, so that's exciting.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 31, 2020, 03:31:43 PM
Still, I'll be sure to get around to it at some point and then play through the mainline games. Right now I'm playing all of the main Zelda games that I've never played before, and am almost done with Twilight Princess. After that I still have Majora's Mask (3DS version; I used to own the N64 version but don't have it anymore, and I got half-way through but never beat it), The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Zelda II, and Skyward Sword. I have all of those (Zelda II in the Switch's NES library) except for Skyward Sword since I don't own a Wii. I'm excluding the Four Swords and Triforce Heroes games since I don't have any friends who like gaming to play them with. You'd think that Nintendo would have re-released them with online multi-player by now, but then you remember that getting Nintendo to pay any official attention to their post SNES-era or portable classics is like pulling teeth.

Nice, you finally got to Twilight Princess! I loved it, even if it feels a bit long at times. I actually like Breath of the Wild more, though. Looks like you've got a lot ahead of you, but hopefully you enjoy playing/replaying those games! It goes without saying that I've always loved Zelda, but I don't think I ever played a game in the series I disliked (I can even appreciate II for what it is, even though it's a tad rough going back to nowadays).

Daikun

Mustang

I'm sure everyone's seen the Resident Evil Village showcase by now.

I've never been a fan of the RE games, but my God this game is gorgeous (visually). Just watching this showcase is making me think about revisiting DMC5 just to see the RE engine at work. And then this Lady Dimitrescu or whatever her name is. Everybody knows my favorite character is Vergil (Sephiroth being the next), and while everyone is talking about how "THICC" this lady is (whatever on that though), her demeanor is catching me and then the way she was designed, so good. Capcom might've outdone themselves on this one. Like I said, I'm no fan, but I might get this to just to support Capcom for the effort put into it.
3S - Ken, Yang, Makoto
USF4 - Yun, Ibuki, Decapre, Poison
SF5CE - Ken, Karin, Chun Li, Laura, Poison
SF6 - Ken, Juri, Jamie, Chun Li