Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I never really got far into them beyond the fact that Grohl was the drummer on SFTD. There were a lot of fun beats on that album.

Even if No One Knows was the only song that worked well, in my opinion.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Dave's a lot of fun when he goes back to drums. His Killing Joke album was one of their best, too.

Honestly though, I don't even hate QOTSA. Homme's tone is still present and there's credible songwriting throughout, but i don't think they're the second coming of whatever critics are claiming them to be. I remember when EW reviewed 13 a few months ago, they said that instead of listening to Sabbath's new stuff, you should check out ...Like Clockwork instead. That's where I draw the line.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

They were hailing them as the "real" return of proper rock music when the garage bands were out, too. Saying that they were the "real" deal.

I don't get the comparison at all.

I just hear a decent band.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

...I think Drama is the best Yes album.  :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

I like Safe & Sound.

I don't know if that's unpopular or not, but it uses varied instruments which a lot of mainstream dance music doesn't.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 06, 2013, 04:24:34 PM
I like Safe & Sound.

I don't know if that's unpopular or not, but it uses varied instruments which a lot of mainstream dance music doesn't.
By Capital Cities? I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I love Capital Cities.

Spark Of Spirit

Nel_Annette

I don't think it's unpopular. I love Capital Cities, and most people I know seem to quite like the song.

No-Personality

Hearing people basically say rock is the best genre of music makes me want to argue that it is not, regardless of how often rock instruments factor into dance and electronic music (and regardless of whether I actually believe it is not).

I feel there is an inherent emphasis on male and heterosexual (and sometimes white) influence in rock over female-dominated or just purely sexually / racially ambivalent genres, styles, sounds, etc. (And often women in rock as well.)

Personally, I've felt at times the need to compromise my own comfort listening to music and ability to admit love for a variety of music because other people imposed their own discomfort over / into their reasoning for why certain music "sucks."

Being online is great in that there is less pressure to conform but there is still a strong anti-Non Rock sentiment that makes me feel a lot of very effective music is being shafted because the loudest, most prevalent voices are from rock fans.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I definitely gravitate towards music with traditional rock instruments more than most else, but I also listen to a LOT of jazz, and there's plenty of pop, R&B and rap that I'm also quite fond of.

While I do feel that usually, rock fans become critical of other popular styles of music because they feel isolated from the norm, now that only the lamest acts make any impact on the charts, it does seem like there is some sexism going on with pop critics in particular. Since let's be honest, for the longest time, pop has been a ladies' game. And while some of the artists attacked do require criticism, many do not deserve the death threats they receive from losers online.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I like the sound of brass, drums, guitar, piano, and bass. It doesn't have to be rock for me to like it, but those instruments always sound good to me. Even hip hop that samples said instruments I could like depending on the lyrics. Old school instruments are my preferred instruments.

Peanutbutter

A lot of Top 40 is more listenable the last few years than in a long while. Especially with the amount of Indie Pop, Indie Rock, and even a couple of Indie Techno hits making it to the charts.

Commode

Eh, I guess.  I do listen to a decent amount of Top 40, via Sirius's Hits 1 channel, and I do hear things I like such as "Royals" and "Summertime Sadness" and "Still Into You" and "Clarity".  But at the same time they still play the stuff like "Roar" and "Applause" and "Wrecking Ball" that I've always disliked.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I actually don't like any of those songs, haha. I've been particularly avoiding the radio lately, especially now that the rock station doesn't play the full version of "God is Dead?" anymore.

New blog!