Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I consider them to be more interactive stories (with branching paths) than games, but yes, I've played and enjoyed the first 2 episodes, and am eager to see where the story goes next.

Spark Of Spirit

Star Fox Wii U allows traditional controls.

Quote"Nintendo is planning on bringing Fox Mcloud out of retirement for a new entry on the Wii U. Fox will be able to fly his Arwing and seamlessly transform into a tank during certian sequences. Pilots can control the game either with their Gamepad's analog sticks or motion control. The game was very early in development and looked admittedly rought the last we saw of it, but we're hoping Fox gets the new, grand adventure he deserves."
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

talonmalon333

I'm a little cautious as we all know the history of this series since the Nintendo 64 days. However, Miyamoto is on this one, right? And if I remember correctly, he worked on 64 but none of the games after. I have hopes for this game and am looking forward to it.

Foggle

Not only is Miyamoto working on it, this is also the first Star Fox game since 64 to actually be developed by Nintendo and not outsourced.

talonmalon333

I wonder how they'll do it. The only thing we needed back in the 64 days were the flying portions, but Nintendo might think that can't sustain a full game by today's standards.

Foggle

I wouldn't mind land portions as long as they're actually fun and not headache-inducing like the ones from Assault. Though, really, as long as the game doesn't play out like creepy fanfiction for furries, I'll be happy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I feel like Star Fox has a similar problem that modern Sonic games have had to deal with. The type of gameplay that we love would only really sustain about one or teo hours worth of gameplay. Adding too much more without careful thought and creativity put into each level would just make the experience feel too repetitive. Now, back in the day just a couple of hours of story mode was the norm. We got our money's worth from replay value. Today's gamers are spoiled, and want quantity over quality for their expensive $60+ retail games. So instead of a tight 2-hour platformer or rail shooter, we get a ton of filler gameplay that is poorly designed, dreadfully boring, and has nothing to do with the iconic gameplay that either series is famous for in the first place, all in the name of giving gamers their 8-hour campaign mode, regardless of the lack of quality.

How do we fix this? Why not skip retail and make a fun, challenging rail shooter with some variety of vehicles, make it a downloadable game, and charge around $15 for it? People seem to have the misconception that if something is cheaper and not retail, that it's not on the level of quality of a full-priced game, which IMO is utter BS because the amount of content alone speaks nothing about how great a game can be. I'd rather have a high quality rail shooter like Star Fox 64 with multiple routes and high replay value over a full-priced retail game with more than half of the game just being shitty filler.

Spark Of Spirit

Sin & Punishment Star Successor and HOTD: Overkill proves a modern retail game based around arcade gameplay can work. Star Fox's problem was that they needed to stick to the Arwing and Landmaster gameplay and focus on branching paths instead of trying to change what works.

Also, a decent multiplayer mode probably wouldn't hurt.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of critics complained about Overkill being too short. You can only make an on-rails shooting game so long before the gameplay starts to feel stale.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 18, 2015, 03:56:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of critics complained about Overkill being too short. You can only make an on-rails shooting game so long before the gameplay starts to feel stale.
Yeah. It was a great, highly replayable 3-4 hours. Pretty much everyone was fine with the length... except critics, who bitched about it constantly.

talonmalon333

Nintendo needs to show players that a one hour game with replay value like Star Fox 64 can become eight hours. More, actually.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 18, 2015, 04:19:09 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 18, 2015, 03:56:24 PM
Yeah. It was a great, highly replayable 3-4 hours. Pretty much everyone was fine with the length... except critics, who bitched about it constantly.
They have done this with every arcade port since the PS1. I remember a bad review back in the day for Strider 2's PS1 port because it had no ten hour story mode and when I called the reviewer on it he basically said that the game should have been made differently then.

Game criticism, ladies and gentlemen.

talonmalon333

In general, I feel like gamers don't mind a short length as much as critics. There are a lot of things in games that critics will tear apart games for, believing such things actually matter. Things that gamers are smart enough to realize don't really matter.

Commode

Here's hoping the new Star Fox is good, but I don't really care for any of the games except for 64.  For one of Nintendo's more in demand series I don't really feel it has a good track record.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.