Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 26, 2024, 01:09:42 AM
Spoiler
And I guess Reynolds squashed the beef with Wesley Snipes.
[close]

Spoiler
They had a beef? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Tell me more, plz.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On a personal level I prefer the first two Deadpool movies (the second being my favorite), but on a level of pure fun I can't deny that this mostly nailed it for me. It's the kind of movie that I can see possibly feeling dated not that long from now, but at least in the here and now it felt like the cinematic equivalent of a massive euphoric sugar rush (and I do mean that in a good way). It helped that I saw it in a crowd that was really into the movie.

Spoiler
People absolutely lost it when Chris Evans yelled "Flame On!" and revealed he was reprising Johnny Storm.

I am curious how Deadpool was able to interact with Happy in the MCU's 616 since last I checked he didn't have the means to hop between realities at that point.
[close]

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on July 26, 2024, 04:09:40 AM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 26, 2024, 01:09:42 AM
Spoiler
And I guess Reynolds squashed the beef with Wesley Snipes.
[close]

Spoiler
They had a beef? This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Tell me more, plz.
[close]
Spoiler

Avaitor

I'll see Deadpool and Wolverine later this week, it's been hell working a movie theater for it though.

As for the casting... yeah, this seems desperate, but I mean, RDJ is an insanely charismatic actor. If anyone can make lightning strike twice, he can. I'm still burned out on the MCU, although not to the extent certain parts of Twitter are, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not at least somewhat curious.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

So that new Crow movie looks disgustingly bad and did as well as I expected. Like someone took a gander at Jared Leto Joker and wanted to accentuate all the worst parts of him. Makes you wonder why it's so hard to make another good Crow film. It shouldn't be hard to take "a guy dies in tragic circumstances and comes back as a vengeful spirit" and make it work again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not sure why this is even being reported as news given the nature of his take on Batman. Like, was anyone actually expecting Killer Croc in the next movie?

Dr. Insomniac

On one hand, I can kinda get it because people were looking for a different take and not "We're imposing the same rules that Nolan did". I saw a lot of Clayface fans for instance mad at the article. But given the appeal of the Reeves movies is that it's Reeves calling the shots and not him listening to some execs on filling enough quotas for a cinematic universe, I can't be mad. I'd rather he have the freedom to do what he wants with Batman instead of being forced to use Bat-villains he doesn't care for.

Besides, I find "No, he's gonna make it just like the Nolan movies!" to be an odd criticism. Because The Batman was tonally different from those films, and why is it a bad thing to make movies that feel like a critically successful trilogy where even the worst one is still fun to watch?

Avaitor

Like you said, the Nolan movies were more realistic than Burton or Schumacher's, but still indulged in some pulpier elements, like the Al Ghul family. Reeves is going even more down-to-earth than that, and I don't see how audiences could think otherwise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Shit, Reeves thinks the name "Cobblepot" is too silly.

Avaitor

I won't lie, I'm still not opposed to Reeves going for realistic, but this is a little disappointing.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, it's one of those name changes that ultimately doesn't matter, but also makes you go "Then why do it in the first place?" Plus, "Oz Cobb" sounds cornier than "Oswald Cobblepot".