Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I always speculated Lanky was related to Swanky. Lanky "has no style", Swanky has a lot of style.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm replaying DKCR on my 3DS. Some impressions:

World 1, 2, and 3, are good starter worlds. Nothing really amazing in them, but they're fun.

World 4, though. Retro dropped the ball hard. Whoever decided a world of nothing but rocket barrels and mine carts would be a good idea was crazy. Currently trying to slog through this world.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I don't mind the cart levels, but the rocket barrel ones are terrible.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

I actually loved the mine cart stages in DKCR despite how hard they are. The rocket barrel levels are fucking awful, though. They were also probably the only thing I disliked about TF (the swimming levels get a pass for the music and dat boss fight).

TF > 2 > R > 1 > 3, I'd say.

talonmalon333

I flipflop on DKC and DKCR.

Spark Of Spirit

Getting 100% in some of the mine cart levels is annoying because of the momentum you keep from jumping out of the carts. This is also the only DKC game where you don't get two hits in mine cart levels. Anyway, the worst level (BY FAR) in this world is Crowded Cavern. The boss is pretty lame, too.

On to World 5. This is when the game hits its groove. World 5, 6. and 7, are all excellent.

Spark Of Spirit

I beat World 5. Excellent stuff. The K level was kind of annoying since it doesn't give you a DK barrel at the start if you die and the bigger challenge in that level is not getting hit. Otherwise, that was the best world so far. Retro really hit their groove here. Also, no rocket barrel levels here.

Okay, I beat World 6. You know, you'd figure with a potentially boring setting like cliffside this world would be boring, but it's not. It contains the best mine cart level in the game and no rocket barrel levels. The level design in this world is even better than World 5! Can't wait for the next one, I remember it being my favorite.

Now for World 7!

Foggle

Rocket barrel levels aside, the whole game is amazing IMO. But World 8 contains some of the most rage-worthy level design I've ever experienced...

Spark Of Spirit

Yep, World 8 I don't remember liking much at all. Especially the final boss. A rocket barrel level right before and if you lose Diddy and die, you don't get him at the checkpoint for some dumb reason.

Oddly enough, the rocket barrel level in World 7, Gear Getaway, might be the best one in the game. It might be because of the music or its relative shortness, but it is relatively clever compared to the other annoying levels.

talonmalon333

I wish the final boss got a better soundtrack. It was certainly no Gangplank Galleon.

Foggle

World 8 is just too frustrating to be fun. The people who complained about Tropical Freeze being too hard clearly never beat Returns.

Spark Of Spirit

I think Retro tried too hard to make it feel like a "last world" that they sufficiently sucked the fun out of it. I still don't get anyone who thinks Tropical Freeze is too hard, that game had the best balanced difficulty in the series.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 25, 2015, 09:32:13 PM
I wish the final boss got a better soundtrack. It was certainly no Gangplank Galleon.
Or Crocodile Cacophony.

The only original track in Returns I liked was Gear Getaway. I'm still thankful we got David Wise for Tropical Freeze.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 25, 2015, 09:47:11 PM
I think Retro tried too hard to make it feel like a "last world" that they sufficiently sucked the fun out of it. I still don't get anyone who thinks Tropical Freeze is too hard, that game had the best balanced difficulty in the series.
Agreed! It has some of the best difficulty balancing in any game. :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

So, Nintendo just released DKC1, DKC2, and DKC3 on the Wii U Virtual Console. Buy one and get a 10% discount on buying Tropical Freeze. On the 3DS you can get DKL1, DKL2, and DKL3 on the VC. Buying one will get you the same deal on DKCR3D.

So, I guess I know what I'm playing after I beat DKCR3D again.

Oh yeah, I also beat World 7. That boss is pretty frustrating, but otherwise I think it's the best world in the game. On to, sigh, World 8.