Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryPotter

Just got myself copies of DKC and DKC2 for the GBA.

While they're definitely inferior ports, I'm still having a blast playing them on the Game Boy Player.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: GaryPotter on July 03, 2013, 10:48:05 AM
His coconut gun can fire in spurts.

If he shoots ya it's gonna hurt.

This kong's got style, so listen up dudes.

talonmalon333

Donkey Kong 64 is what we in the industry call "a bad game".

Kiddington

The only thing it really did well was humor.

After that, it was a pretty by-the-book N64 platformer, and a lower trending one at that. I don't know what exactly happened to Rare by that point, but the cracks were already showing well before Microsoft scooped them up.

GaryPotter

Quote from: Kiddington on July 07, 2013, 04:19:26 AM
The only thing it really did well was humor.

After that, it was a pretty by-the-book N64 platformer, and a lower trending one at that. I don't know what exactly happened to Rare by that point, but the cracks were already showing well before Microsoft scooped them up.

DK64 was, like, an epitome of every single platformer cliche from it's era.

Avaitor

I have a friend that tries to tell me that DK 64 is Donkey Kong's equivalent to Mario 64.

Uh, no. It's just a banal collect-a-thon. Sorry.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

If Mario 64 was a bad game, I would agree with that statement.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 06, 2013, 09:38:53 PM
Donkey Kong 64 is what we in the industry call "a bad game".

Still better than half the so called Triple A titles being put out this generation.

Spark Of Spirit

I would rather play a bad collectathon platformer over another mediocre cinematic shooter, yes.

Quote from: GaryPotter on July 06, 2013, 09:15:42 PM
Just got myself copies of DKC and DKC2 for the GBA.

While they're definitely inferior ports, I'm still having a blast playing them on the Game Boy Player.
Check out the DKC3 port. The new world and soundtrack are worth experiencing at least once and add to the game quite a bit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 08, 2013, 04:06:53 PM
I would rather play a bad collectathon platformer over another mediocre cinematic shooter, yes.

I don't know. I'd easily take a "mediocre" collect-a-thon platformer over a mediocre shooter for sure, but when comparing a downright bad one to a mediocre shooter, I would probably pick the shooter because at least I know it'll be short and over with quickly, especially since it'll probably hold your hand the entire way through. It'll still suck, but when I think about it, it'd probably be much worse and much more frustrating to play a bad collect-a-thon game which would take a lot longer to beat and be really frustrating to get some necessary "pieces" of whatever you're supposed to collect. One experience just seems to be clearly more aggravating than the other.

That said, I would take a bad collect-a-thon platformer over annoyingly over-hyped "artsy" platformers, like Braid, Limbo, and Fez, just to name a few. Those games aren't really bad games (I certainly wouldn't call them good, either, though), but I am very biased and can't stand their creators or their fan-bases.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2013, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 08, 2013, 04:06:53 PM

I don't know. I'd easily take a "mediocre" collect-a-thon platformer over a mediocre shooter for sure, but when comparing a downright bad one to a mediocre shooter, I would probably pick the shooter because at least I know it'll be short and over with quickly, especially since it'll probably hold your hand the entire way through. It'll still suck, but when I think about it, it'd probably be much worse and much more frustrating to play a bad collect-a-thon game which would take a lot longer to beat and be really frustrating to get some necessary "pieces" of whatever you're supposed to collect. One experience just seems to be clearly more aggravating than the other.

That said, I would take a bad collect-a-thon platformer over annoyingly over-hyped "artsy" platformers, like Braid, Limbo, and Fez, just to name a few. Those games aren't really bad games (I certainly wouldn't call them good, either, though), but I am very biased and can't stand their creators or their fan-bases.
I probably wouldn't play either, honestly.  :sweat:

A good collectathon platformer like Banjo Kazooie or Jak & Daxter is tons of fun while the bad ones just sort of drag by forever making me detest the genre.

There's no excuse for why we can't have more Ratchet & Clank or Maximo-style platformers, though. Level-based, challenging, and with good pacing. Other than Sly 4 (and the recent Sonic and Mario platformers) we haven't seen a whole lot of them recently.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My biggest problem with the XBOX360 was the lack of 3D platformers; or platformers in general, but to be fair we did get quite a few classics re-released via XBLA. I love how refined 2D platformers are of course, but even with their numerous flaws, 3D platformers are just so different and so unique yet still tons of fun (I'd almost argue that they are a different genre from 2D platformers just based on how they feel, in general). With 2D platofmers I prefer light-exploration with a great sense of speed and agility. With 3D platformers I usually prefer a slower pace with more precision-based jumps and a lot more exploration.

Rynnec

I hope Naughty Dog's next IP goes back to their platforming roots. I really don't care for Nathan Drake or The Last of Us much at all tbh.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2013, 04:50:13 PMI am very biased and can't stand their creators or their fan-bases.

How come?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 08, 2013, 05:50:50 PM
How come?

The creator of Braid is a pretentious ass who thinks that his game is the embodiment of perfection, and looks down on other games that he considers to be "less intelligent" then his own (and I'm not exaggerating here, just look up some interviews with the guy; he's clearly way too full of himself). Most of Braid's fan-base, likewise, are people who only appreciate the "artistry" of the game (and this game is NOT high art, by any means), and consider it better than almost any other platformer while completely neglecting how bland the gameplay really is (and its not even that original; the resetting time thing has been done to death before in video games).

To be honest I don't know too much about the creators of Limbo, but I do hate its fan-base, mostly for the same reasons as I hate Braid's fan-base. Honestly, Limbo is just a mediocre puzzle-platformer at best. Its only about an hour long with absolutely NO replay value. Nothing changes. There's no alternate paths or cool secrets. Its just a linear game that has a very overrated and honestly boring art design. It looks cool at first, but what would work as the gimmick for a level or two, gets really old over the course of an entire game.

Fez's creator is the biggest dick of them all. Granted that, I'm pretty sure that he purposely made a lot of outrageous comments to attract more attention to himself and thus is own game, but really his game is nothing that special, yet he acts like its a masterpiece of the genre (and so do fans). Its supposed to be reminiscent of classic 8-bit platformers with some modern twists, but it doesn't get the first thing about the classics. The music is bland, limited, and forgettable, the puzzles get old fast, and the lack of enemies is obnoxious, not artistic (like I've seen some people claim), as it just makes an already bland game even more boring by being piss-easy other than the occasional genuinely tough puzzle.