Donkey Kong series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 02, 2013, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryPotter

In Donkey Kong Land Expresso could kill enemies by jumping on them. Too bad he was only in two levels.

Anyway, I'm playing the Game Boy Color port of DKC right now. It's pretty amazing that they could fit the whole game into such a primitive cartridge, however the mechanics make this whole thing way harder than it should have been.

Nel_Annette

I wonder if anyone was pissed when they bought that GBC port and the GBA port came out only 3 years later.

Which always used to confuse me as a kid.  :lol: Never remembered which it was ported to, and it turned out to be both.

talonmalon333

I always found it confusing why they did that. There was practically no reason to own the GBC copy.

I wasn't find of either port though. DKC is great, but without those nice SNES visuals and the beautiful soundtrack, it's no where near being the same to me.

GaryPotter

The one great advantage the GBC port has is that it's very fast and you can easily pick up and play it. The music, while somewhat primitive, also has a certain charm.

The GBA port is too bogged down with pointless background animations, loading screens, minigames that suck, and an overworld screen that too big for it's own good. The music also has no 8-bit Nintendo charm and just sounds like a lousier version of the original.

Eddy

I'm part of the popular opinion in that I really don't care much for DKC3. And it's not like I gave up halfway, I saw the game through to the end. But nothing about it every matched up to DKC1 or 2 for me. The atmosphere felt dull, the enemy design felt dull, the animals sucked, and it had too many gimmicky levels. Oh, and it had Kiddy Kong. No one ever wanted to be Kiddy Kong. But I will say it's a lot better than DK64. Of course, what isn't?

So I'd rank them:
DKC2 >>>> DKC1 >>>> DKC3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DK64

Really, DK64 just sucked. I really haven't played much of DKCR to accurately judge it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Eddy on September 21, 2013, 02:21:46 PM
I'm part of the popular opinion in that I really don't care much for DKC3. And it's not like I gave up halfway, I saw the game through to the end. But nothing about it every matched up to DKC1 or 2 for me. The atmosphere felt dull, the enemy design felt dull, the animals sucked, and it had too many gimmicky levels. Oh, and it had Kiddy Kong. No one ever wanted to be Kiddy Kong. But I will say it's a lot better than DK64. Of course, what isn't?

So I'd rank them:
DKC2 >>>> DKC1 >>>> DKC3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DK64

Really, DK64 just sucked. I really haven't played much of DKCR to accurately judge it.

I pretty much agree with this 100%, except for the stuff about DK64, since I never actually played that game and can't judge it.

Spark Of Spirit

DKC3 is waaaay better than DK64.

Kiddy might be bad, but he also doesn't rap.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2013, 10:59:49 PM
DKC3 is waaaay better than DK64.

Kiddy might be bad, but he also doesn't rap.

That rap was the only fun part of DK64.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2013, 11:18:11 PM
Quote from: Foggle on September 22, 2013, 11:16:29 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 22, 2013, 11:03:59 PM
This x1000.
That's why the game is garbage.
HIS COCONUT GUN CAN FIRE IN SPURTS
IF IT SHOOTS YA
YA GONNA GET HURT
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 22, 2013, 11:27:14 PM
This x1000.
IF IT SHOOTS YA
YA GONNA GET HURT

THIS KONG'S ONE HELL OF A GUY.

Nintendo being edgy in the late 1990s. I wonder if that lyric is the reason why they only use the SSB Melee version nowadays (Donkey Konga, etc.).

Spark Of Spirit

This x1000.
IF IT SHOOTS YA
YA GONNA GET HURT
From the series that brought you Hot Head Bop, Stickerbrush Symphony, Fear Factory, Aquatic Ambiance, and Gangplank Galleon.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2013, 11:44:22 PM
This x1000.
IF IT SHOOTS YA
YA GONNA GET HURT
From the series that brought you Hot Head Bop, Stickerbrush Symphony, Fear Factory, Aquatic Ambiance, and Gangplank Galleon.

That's why you should be glad they didn't put lyrics on those songs.

Foggle

This x1000.
You're right, it was just the opening song, not the horrible item collection, awful mini-games, garbage camera, lame boss fights, banal level design, and recycled gameplay from 80's arcade titles. :sly: