Remakes/Ports Discussion

Started by talonmalon333, July 31, 2013, 11:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I just kind of figured they put it on Steam or something, since Microsoft does PC as well as XBox.

EDIT:

Hey Foggle, I've got a Silent Hill question for you. How are the PC ports of Silent Hill 2 and 3? I ask because, as I recently mentioned, my PS2 is slowly dying. When that time comes, I'll want to be able to still play most of my favorite games from the console on other consoles. I feel like I remember you saying the ports of SH 2 and 3 are solid, but I can't be sure.

Also, I figure this topic can undergo a chance in title, so it can be more based on general discussion on ports and remakes.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 17, 2015, 06:24:17 PM
Hey Foggle, I've got a Silent Hill question for you. How are the PC ports of Silent Hill 2 and 3? I ask because, as I recently mentioned, my PS2 is slowly dying. When that time comes, I'll want to be able to still play most of my favorite games from the console on other consoles. I feel like I remember you saying the ports of SH 2 and 3 are solid, but I can't be sure.
The PC ports are easily the best way to play SH2 and 3 if you have a controller and are willing to mess around a little to get them working correctly. I can help if you have any problems getting either of them to run properly.

gunswordfist

i want to see battletoads get ported as well.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 17, 2015, 08:21:15 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 17, 2015, 06:24:17 PM
The PC ports are easily the best way to play SH2 and 3 if you have a controller and are willing to mess around a little to get them working correctly. I can help if you have any problems getting either of them to run properly.

Thanks! I'm probably not going to get them for a while. My PS2 is still mostly functional, and those ports seem kind of expensive. However, I definitely hope to get them eventually! I hear they have better visuals than the PS3 version.

Nel_Annette

The HD collection? Don't get that. This is one of those sad cases where the HD rerelease actually completely fucks up the tone of the game.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 17, 2015, 10:01:45 PM
The HD collection? Don't get that. This is one of those sad cases where the HD rerelease actually completely fucks up the tone of the game.

We were talking about the PC versions, released about ten years prior and yet supposedly are somehow graphically superior.

Nel_Annette

Which is absolutely correct.  :D

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 17, 2015, 08:52:26 PM
Thanks! I'm probably not going to get them for a while. My PS2 is still mostly functional, and those ports seem kind of expensive. However, I definitely hope to get them eventually! I hear they have better visuals than the PS3 version.

Meant to add this to my response...

Other than visuals, in what ways are the PC versions the best?

Foggle

Just graphics and frame rate, really.

Spark Of Spirit

5 Games Made Better By Their Remakes

Agree/Disagree?

Personally, I'd put in Double Dragon Advance and Metroid: Zero Mission, but otherwise think it's a pretty good list.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I still think OoT3D messed up the aesthetic of the original by having inferior lighting, and that REmake made a few rushed and questionable changes. But that's just me. :light:

I do think Super Mario Bros. 3 for the SNES might be better than the NES version, or at least equal.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm always going to prefer the 3DS version to the N64 version. I'm sure Majora's Mask will be the same way, too.

SMB3 doesn't make any difference to me. I've beaten both versions countless times that I hardly notice any difference between them anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

The only real difference between versions of SMB3 is the addition of the save state.  There's something about trying to finish the NES version in one sitting without saving that I'll always find fun.  I can't play the All Stars version of SMB1 though, the remake of the game completely changed the physics of the game.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

SMB3 also improved the graphics and sound quality. It's not as drastic as SMB1 and 2, but it's still a noticeable leap.

talonmalon333

How come they won't port Castlevania: Bloodlines and Rocket Knight Adventures?