Kill la Kill

Started by Foggle, October 03, 2013, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Kill la Kill is now on Netflix.  :)

Daxdiv

Wow, Aniplex sure is stepping up their anime game on Netflix recently.

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 22, 2014, 04:23:07 PMWow, Aniplex sure is stepping up their anime game on Netflix recently.

Sub-only, I take it?

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 22, 2014, 07:11:11 PM
Quote from: Daikun on May 22, 2014, 06:51:14 PM

Sub-only, I take it?

Of course.
Still waiting for the eventual "Bryce Papenbrook as Ryuko" announcement.

Lord Il

First premiered at Anime Boston 2014 and won the category of Best Action AMV. It was shown at Anime North and floored me to the point needing to see it again. And again. And ag- .. well, you get the idea! :e_love:

Posting here because it's way too relevant not to do so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ralsTpUbYsw

LumRanmaYasha

English dub trailer.

...Not a fan of Senketsu, Mako, and Satsuki's voices. Ryuko I'm not sure about yet, but the Elite 4 sound pretty good, though. But "Senketz" and "Makanshok?" Doesn't sound right to me Not sure about the acting yet, but this trailer didn't really give me much hope this'll be a much better dub than most other Aniplex properties.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the inevitable problem with dubbing  KLK. For lack of a better word, it's a very...."shouty" anime. It's a quirky way of speaking that works well for the Japanese language. Trying to convey that in almost any other language is going to be hard as hell, because when the VAs try to mimick the quirkiness of the Japanese seiyuu, it just sounds ridiculous even by this series' standards. However when they try to sound more subdued, it doesn't fit in line with the over-the-top, lively animation of this series (this is how Ryuuko came off to me....that, and she sounds just like English dub Luffy, who has the exact same problem).

In a way I feel sorry for the English dub cast, because it's a daunting task no matter how talented the VAs are. This anime just doesn't sound very natural in any other language than it's own original. Having said that, I noticed that the voice-acting for the minor supporting characters surprisingly seems to work, going by this trailer. Satsuki I'm iffy on, but I don't think of poorly as it as CX does because at least the VA has her tone down right. Ryuuko and Senketsu are honestly my biggest problems, though. Every other voice in this trailer could possibly grow on me, but those 2 voices just sound really off the mark, IMO. It's like their VAs are afraid to embrace the crazy and absurd nature of these characters, which is an absolute must for a series like this, IMO.

Daxdiv

Well, I liked the voices for the Elite 4, Satsuki, Ryuko and Mikisugi. Senketsu and Mako sound a little... different from what I would imagine. I do recall Foggle saying how casting Mako would be different/difficult, since those kinds of characters are hard to translate into English.

Waiting to see who they get for Nui and Ragyo.

Rynnec

Satsuki and the Elite 4 sound close to perfect, while Ryuuko and Aikuro sound okay. Mako and Senketsu are the only ones I'm not sure on. While Mako's could grow on me, I think Senketsu was miscast.

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 28, 2014, 11:55:56 PM
Waiting to see who they get for Nui and Ragyo.

I swear I'm gonna call BS if Cristina Valenzuela isn't Nui.

Foggle

Like all Aniplex dubs, this just sounds lame to me in comparison to the original voice acting. Not a fan.

...Though I could at least tell the difference between the characters by their voices, unlike Fate/Zero.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on May 29, 2014, 01:20:48 AM
Like all Aniplex dubs, this just sounds lame to me in comparison to the original voice acting. Not a fan.

B-but...Patrick Seitz. :(

Eddy

I love Satsuki and Nonon sounds perfect to me. Senketsu is the most jarring, to me.

I don't think the trailer will be enough to judge the show as a whole on. So I guess we'll see.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on May 29, 2014, 01:29:28 AM
Quote from: Foggle on May 29, 2014, 01:20:48 AM

B-but...Patrick Seitz. :(
I love Patrick Seitz. I'm also a big fan of nearly every single VA from the Fate/Zero dub. I just don't think Aniplex USA has good voice directors or localization writers.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hence why all voice-casting should be left to the senior directors from FUNimation who have the best experience with this sort of thing. They usually do a great job of taking talented VAs and using them to their full potential in whatever role they are cast in (and usually it's the right one for them). They are also way better at scripting more natural sounding English dialogue without botching the intent of the original Japanese version, which is a huge plus for me.