Greatest Animated TV Series (Nomination Thread)

Started by LumRanmaYasha, October 10, 2013, 06:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I've been enjoying the competitions on this board, and even though we still have two currently still running, I thought that now would be as good a time as ever to host one myself.

I'm surprised that no one has made a general greatest animated tv series competition until now, even though a competition exists for live-action tv shows. I guess the reason was that, with AR's Top 65 Cartoons list already existing and all, no one thought it would be worthwhile to do before. However, with the discussion about how that list could be potentially changed a few weeks ago, I think that a fun competition like this for animated tv shows has some merit to do now, if only to see which is currently the most popular animated series among AR's userbase.

Just to clarify, I will allow theatrical cartoon series like Looney Tunes to be nominated, because this is just a fun competition, but only if they are series that have been rerun on television under a specific packaging umbrella and not the general body of work of a studio. So, you can't nominate "Disney cartoons" and "MGM cartoons," but you can nominate the Silly Symphonies and Tom and Jerry, etc. Also, even though the greatest anime thread was a relatively recent thing, I do think anime series should still be allowed to participate, but you can only nominate anime series not featured in the Greatest Anime Competition at this point in time. If there comes a need for more nominations, only then will that restriction be lifted. Other than that, any foreign animated tv show is eligible as well. Keep in mind, though, that they must be tv series or OVA series that have been broadcasted on television. Finally, short series under 5 minutes in length, webseries, and basically any animated series that has not been broadcast on television are ineligible to be nominated. And of course, neither can animated films, but that should be obvious.

I advise people to not nominate only series that they think will win, but instead simply nominate your most favorite animated series you would like to see represented in the competition. Besides, as we've seen in the Greatest Manga series thread, sometimes series can surprise you in how far they may or may not go.  ;)

For now, the minimum number of entries I'll start the competition with is 64, with a maximum of 100, but if the need arises, I can easily adjust the max limit higher. However, I would like to start the competition as soon as possible, so I will only leave approximately a day's worth of time for people to get their nominations in, unless the minimum is not met, where instead I will extend the time limit until 64 series have been nominated. Each member may nominate up to 10 series at this point in time, but I can extend that limit if we need more nominations. That pretty much covers how this'll go down for now, so here are my nominations to get the ball rolling:

South Park
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
The Simpsons
King of the Hill
American Dad
Futurama
Maison Ikkoku
Looney Tunes
Urusei Yatsura
Ranma 1/2

Let's get this thing going people!   :e_hail: :el_hail: :shakeshakeshake:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If I could make a suggestion, maybe we should exclude anime from this competition. The only reason I say that is because we already had a greatest anime competition last year, so a lot of the anime entries on this thread would just be redundant of that other thread. But, since it's your competition, it's your call. I'm still going to refrain from nominating any anime series that were already in the previous competition thread myself, though.

Gargoyles
The Spectacular Spider-Man
Batman: The Brave & The Bold
Batman Beyond
Megas XLR
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Yu Yu Hakusho

I avoided nominating obvious stuff like Batman: TAS, and while I have other favorite cartoons, I primarily wanted to have a good sense of variety to my nominations, as I find competitions with more variety to be generally more interesting.

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm...honestly, I wanted to leave anime in, since I wanted the competition to include just any tv animated programs for a more interesting and diverse competition, and mostly because many of my favorite animated series are anime as well. However, I do see the issue of redundancy, so here's what I'll do: You cannot nominate any anime series that competed in the Greatest Anime Competition. I think that'll solve the redundancy problem of having the same series compete against each other, while allowing me to keep my underrated favorites in this competition as well.  :sly:

However, if the need arises for more nominations, I will allow those series to be eligible for this competition.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 10, 2013, 07:07:11 PMHmm...honestly, I wanted to leave anime in, since I wanted the competition to include just any tv animated programs for a more interesting and diverse competition, and mostly because many of my favorite animated series are anime as well. However, I do see the issue of redundancy, so here's what I'll do: You cannot nominate any anime series that competed in the Greatest Anime Competition. I think that'll solve the redundancy problem of having the same series compete against each other, while allowing me to keep my underrated favorites in my competition as well.  :sly:

Sounds good, but in that case I'm pretty sure that Trigun was in our anime competition thread from last year. ;)

However, Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't, because I excluded it from the competition last time. I think I'll edit that into my nominations.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 10, 2013, 07:12:43 PM

Sounds good, but in that case I'm pretty sure that Trigun was in our anime competition thread from last year. ;)

However, Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't, because I excluded it from the competition last time. I think I'll edit that into my nominations.

Fixed that. Trigun and Dragonball are out, Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are in.  :il_hahaha:

Go ahead and nominate Yu Yu Hakusho as well!  ;D

The Shadow Gentleman

Hey, I was thinking about something like this just the other day!  :)

Lets see:

Ed, Edd, n Eddy
Archer
Rocko's Modern Life
Superman: The Animated Series
Freakazoid!
Tron: Uprising

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Ctrl+F Archer

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on October 10, 2013, 09:29:18 PMArcher
GOOD MAN

Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
The Boondocks
Black Dynamite
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt :blush:

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 11, 2013, 04:13:39 PM
King of the Hill.

I already nominated it.  :sweat:

Anyways, since it's almost been 24 hours now and we haven't reached 64 entries, I'm allowing unlimited nominations until midnight tonight. With that said, here are six more nominations from me:

Classic Cartoons:
Silly Symphonies
Tom and Jerry

Non-Anime Foreign Cartoons:
6teen
Totally Spies

Anime no one else would nominate  ;) :
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
School Rumble

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 11, 2013, 05:12:26 PM
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Actually, I would have, but I thought Lupin was already nominated on the Anime Tournament?

LumRanmaYasha

The Lupin series nominated in the Anime Tournament was the 2nd anime, the Red Jacket series, and that series alone. The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is fair game for this tournament.  ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here are a few more from me:

Batman: The AnimatednSeries
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Justice League/Unlimited
Hajime no Ippo
Digimon Adventure

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 11, 2013, 05:45:05 PM

Digimon Adventure

Sorry E-K, but I'm afraid that Adventure was in the Greatest Anime Tournament, so it is ineligible for this competition, at least right now.  :(

For future reference, here is the list of series that participated in the Anime Tournament and hence cannot be nominated:

1. Hunter X Hunter (1999)
2. Hunter X Hunter (2011)
3. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Trigun
6. Black Lagoon
7. Digimon Tamers
8. Kids on the Slope
9. Dragon Ball
10. Gundam 0080
11. Akagi
12. Baccano!
13. Darker Than Black (first season and OVA only)
14. Ergo Proxy
15. Fate/Zero
16. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (first two seasons only)
17. Hyouge Mono
18. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
19. Kaiji
20. Neon Genesis Evangelion
21. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
22. Serial Experiments Lain
23. Crest of the Stars
24. Macross
25. Yami no Matsuei
26. Outlaw Star
27. Kare Kano
28. Monster
29. Gankutsuou
30. Fullmetal Alchemist
31. Kino's Journey
32. Paranoia Agent
33. Fruits Basket
34. Bubblegum Crisis
35. Great Teacher Onizuka
36. Martian Successor Nadiesco
37. Samurai Pizza Cats
38. Durarara!!
39. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (A's included)
40. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
41. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
42. FLCL
43. Death Note
44. Digimon Xros Wars (ep 1-54)
45. Digimon Adventure
46. Gunbuster
47. Hellsing Ultimate
48. Ouran High School Host Club
49. Lupin the 3rd (Red Jacket)
50. The Big O
51. Space Runaway Ideon
52. Twelve Kingdoms
53. Future Boy Conan
54. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
55. City Hunter
56. Master Keaton
57. Kemonozume
58. Ghost in the Shell: SAC (including 2nd Gig)
59. Ronin Warriors
60. Sailor Moon
61. Level E
62. Dragon Ball Z
63. New Dominion Tank Police
64. Eden of the East

Spark Of Spirit