Boy/Girl Meets World

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 02, 2011, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

1 minute trailer.

After its premiere it will then take a time-slot of Friday, July 11 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT. Nostalgic time-slot for those of you who remember TGIF.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, at graduation today, I was talking to my friends and one of them brought up Girl Meets World and said how he can't believe that he's excited for a Disney Channel show. Then another of my friends chimed in and went on about how much he loves BMW. At this point I jumped in with surprise and asked: "Wait! You guys are fans of BMW too?" To which one of my friends puzzlingly looked at me and responded: "Isn't every guy who grew up in the 90's?"

How did I only just find this out now?

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it's actually quite surprising the amount of people who know about BMW. Even the staff and cast at the time didn't know how popular the show was until after it ended, but most everyone I talked to liked it. It's also never been off the air since it ended, which really means it's been on TV for over twenty years. I think part of the appeal was that it was one of the few shows everyone in the family could watch and enjoy- not very common nowadays.

Disney really made a smart move with the new show, in my opinion.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Avaitor

The weird thing about BMW is that the audience it was originally aimed for, people around Cory's age and slightly younger, never really cared about it, since there were a lot of other shows they could watch instead, like Home Improvement or Roseanne. The show didn't take on the afterlife it has now until it hit syndication (Disney Channel in particular), and younger people ate it up.

You can say the same thing about Fresh Prince as well. So few of its fans today watched it during its original run.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Kids loved Fresh Prince, though. At least where I lived. I'm not so sure about adults or teens, but kids were always talking about it when it was on.

As for BMW, I guess I can proudly state that I was a fan of its premiere on TGIF until the end of its run. It was always the highlight on TGIF to me and I guess most people agree because, outside of Full House, (and Family Matters, to an extent) none of the other TGIF shows have had nearly the amount of syndication traction it has had. Not even shows like Perfect Strangers, which everyone just assumed would have a long shelf-life in syndication.

Avaitor

It's just what I've noticed. A lot of people that I've talked to that were of the age when these shows were on just didn't care about them. But then again, you don't get to make it to 6 or 7 years without at least SOMEONE watching.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Premiere episode is up on itunes. Downloading it now.

I'm eager to see how it stacks up to the BMW pilot.

Spark Of Spirit

I watched it. I feel it's definitely going to fit in oddly in the Disney Channel lineup, because it really isn't much like the other shows (as far as I can tell) but definitely feels like a Boy Meets World for a new generation. Of course, it's a pilot, so it's not quite there yet. The writing is fairly solid as Cory and Topanga (what little there is of her) are pretty much older versions of themselves and Riley is surprisingly similar to both while being her own character. The characters themselves are established and pretty much that's all that happens- since, it's a pilot and all.

There's one character I'm sort of curious on because I feel he can go either way. Farkle, the nerd character, is like this odd combination of Minkus and Eric and has the potential to either be the best character in the show or the worst.

All in all, it's a solid beginner to a solid looking family sitcom. I do hope it can manage to change the way BMW did over its run, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. As it is, it's a pretty good starting point.

Avaitor

That sounds pretty decent, which is what I was expecting. I'll try to keep an eye out for it.

It would be nice if Disney found a slot for the original to air, so they could try to get kids acquainted with it beforehand. I know, old show and all, but if they're willing to make the show in the first place, why not?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

For the first season, I would have paired each new GMW episode with a season one episode of BMW in order to keep the same tone and inform the kids a bit more on who Cory and Topanga are.

Because, really, they're not really airing anything like it on the channel.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was about on par with a season 1 episode of BMW. The writers haven't quite found their footing with the characters yet, but they have a solid framework to build from in the coming episodes and seasons.

Also, just admit it, the Mr. Feeny cameo was the highlight of the episode. ;D

"Well done, Mr. Matthews" indeed. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Of course it's a highlight, I just didn't want to spoil it.  ;)

Of all the characters, Cory was the most dead on. The writers haven't forgotten how to write him at all. That gives me hope for later episodes, for sure.

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteWorld, meet girl!

After months of impatiently waiting, Boy Meets World fans are finally getting the chance to reunite with their favorite '90s couple: Cory and Topanga. 14 years later, Danielle Fishel and Ben Savage are back on the small screen, and now it's time for brand new generation to fall in love with the Matthews family with the series premiere of Girl Meets World.

We've already seen tonight's adorably awesome episode, (subtle brag intended!) and we're ready to spill five things that you absolutely need to know about the new Disney Channel series. Take a look at our video above for the inside scoop on Cory and Topanga's parenting skills, the return of Shawn Hunter's perfect hair and more!

Boy (and Girl) Meets World creator Michael Jacobs exclusively spilled to ETonline that he's thrilled for audiences to finally get a chance to see the series. "I think the new audience coming in is going to love this and love these girls." The showrunner said. "They?re just very real and very interesting."

But for those of you who think Girl Meets World is just a silly kids show?think again. "We?re not writing down to an audience, we?re always writing up," Jacobs explained. "We wrote up with Boy and we?re doing that with again with this."

However, Jacobs cautions that he does not want Boy Meets World fans to compare 157 episodes-worth of a series to this first half-hour introduction

"It?s not about 19-year-olds anymore, it?s about 12 year olds," the executive producer stresses. "The point is, Cory was just 11 years on Boy Meets World when the pilot started. We have to get you to fall in love with these girls, like you fell in love with Cory and Shawn and Topanga and then [the affection] will grow."

Not to worry, BMW fans, Jacobs promises that the new series "evolves very quickly" and if you hang in there for the first five episodes, you'll be "deeply and ritually rewarded."

Plus, did we mention that Rider Strong will be back to reprise his fan-favorite role as Shawn Hunter? Jacobs exclusively told ET that audiences will definitely get a love update from Cory's best friend. "We?ll see him in another episode later this season that actually sort resolves what happened between Shawn and Angela," he said.
Nice to hear.

But I still want to see Eric!

LumRanmaYasha