Final Fantasy

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 02, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryPotter

The problem with IX is that the pre-rendered backgrounds are very busy, with lots of movements and the occasional FMV clip. On a CRT in 2000 it looked spectacular, but on an HDTV or PC Monitor it's terrible. Those games were best experienced in their proper time. Playing them today as new games probably wouldn't be very enjoyable.

gunswordfist

Meh, I don't see how a FF IX remake would be that much better than the original.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

I never bothered to try to get into FFIX. Graphically speaking, it looks gorgeous, but I don't know. Kiddy protagonist is something I've been against for quite some time now. Kinda the main reason why I don't like the Kingdom Hearts games. If I were to ever get back into playing the JRPGs I'd probably try it out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on June 29, 2013, 05:05:35 PM
I never bothered to try to get into FFIX. Graphically speaking, it looks gorgeous, but I don't know. Kiddy protagonist is something I've been against for quite some time now. Kinda the main reason why I don't like the Kingdom Hearts games. If I were to ever get back into playing the JRPGs I'd probably try it out.

Zidane is 16 years old. He's just short and looks more like a kid than most other FF characters.

I actually like its characters specifically for the reason that they didn't come off like over-angst-driven teenagers. That's an element that I can't stand about the other 3D FF games that I have tried.

That, and I also like that its battle system didn't come off as convoluted as in FF VIII, which is honestly something I just didn't get.

That said, I'm not really a huge fan of FF IX, but being that I'm flat-out not a fan of most RPGs (including JRPGs), this is one of the few that surprisingly held my interest for a while in terms of story and gameplay.

Grave

Great, another Luffy... (I mistook him for being a child)

Like I said, if I were to ever get back into the JRPGs I'll give it a whirl.

I definitely understand what you mean about FFVIII's battle system. It took me 2 playthroughs (roughly 2 years) to fully understand it, not to mention I was following a guide as well. Thinking about it now, I still wouldn't be able to explain it all that well.

Nel_Annette

Why aren't they just calling Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII-3? This is just getting confusing and stupid.

Oh, and the pre-order's stupid too. Put Lightning in Cloud's uniform! Hurr!

Rynnec

If it were Cloud's Kingdom Hearts outfit, I'd be a little more interested.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on July 02, 2013, 10:41:11 AM
Why aren't they just calling Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII-3? This is just getting confusing and stupid.
Getting? :lol:

Oh, and the pre-order's stupid too. Put Lightning in Cloud's uniform! Hurr!
Well, they do have the same face.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on July 02, 2013, 11:12:23 AM
Getting? :lol:

:hayguyz:

I'm just glad they changed Versus and Agito's names. Holy fuck this is convoluted.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on July 02, 2013, 11:15:08 AM
I'm just glad they changed Versus and Agito's names. Holy fuck this is convoluted.
Yeah, thank god. I'm honestly surprised they didn't call FFXIV Final Fantasy Online XIII.

GaryPotter

I went to Square-Enix's website for the first time in a long time, and noticed that they got rid of all their old video game websites.

I'm sort of not happy, honestly. I used to have loads of fun on the Chrono Cross site back in the dial-up days.

Spark Of Spirit

What Final Fantasy is: by Toriyama

Quote"Let me start with how we used to define Final Fantasy. When the games consoles were almost everything that mattered, in those days we aimed to make the most out of the specs of the popular consoles to be able to offer cutting edge, supreme gaming experiences to our users. That was what we were looking for.

Since then though, I think the environment in which gamers play has experienced quite a drastic change. Now, we need games angled towards more casual gamers as well as those for more high-end players, like Lightning Returns. But what all these different types of Final Fantasy games have in common is that they offer players deep and engaging immersion in a fantasy setting. That?s what we always think of when we?re creating a new Final Fantasy."
Funny. Especially when there were only 3 games in the series that were lauded for graphical capability the first of which came after six installments of the series had already been released. Final Fantasy was not always about that, Toriyama. You might want to go a bit further back to figure out how it lasted six highly popular installments despite not being driven by graphics.

It's not that the gameplay was "too complex"- the gameplay is the only thing about this series that still is good. If you water that down for casuals with everything else in the series that has been watered down you'll be left with nothing that made the series popular. The gameplay was the one thing everyone praised from Final Fantasy XIII, now imagine if that was weak too. I don't see dumbing that down improving the series popularity.

How did these people end up in charge of the series?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Compared to other RPG's during the 16-bit era, FF looked no different. It was Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG that were lauded for their graphical capability.

What is he even talking about in that second paragraph? If RPG's are the most casual genre out there gameplay-wise, if he really wants to attract "casual" gamers along with "hardcore" ones, then SE should go back to the old-school FF gameplay sans random encounters, that's as casual as FF gets.

Spark Of Spirit

Or they could just make a new Mystic Quest game.

It's exactly as linear as FFXIII and has the old-style battle system.

But that didn't sell sooooooooo... maybe he should actually remember that gaming didn't begin with the PS1. He seems to be having the same problem that EA has.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun