Greatest Villain Tournament 2014 Edition: Nomination Thread

Started by Pharass, March 07, 2014, 05:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

So did I.

Oh, well. He's back again:

Manjoume (20th Century Boys)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Valmont (Jackie Chan Adventures)
Shendu (Jackie Chan Adventures)
Tarakudo (Jackie Chan Adventures)
Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)
Jack Spicer (Xiaolin Showdown)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Raven (Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force)
Gunther Prozen (Zoids: Chaotic Century)
Hiltz (Zoids: Guardian Force)

Rynnec

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 10, 2014, 07:48:39 PM
Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)

Which reminds me:

Chase Young (Xiaolin Showdown)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on March 10, 2014, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on March 10, 2014, 07:48:39 PM
Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)

Which reminds me:

Chase Young (Xiaolin Showdown)
Already nominated.  :(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, can't forget:

Prince Baka (Level E)

I defend that you can classify him as a villain on the same grounds that you can classify Cartman as a villain. He's not evil in the traditional sense of the word, but in his case he gets so much delight out of mentally torturing and driving his "subjects" insane (in a way that turns out to be completely humorous to the viewers), is constantly breaking intergalactic laws and regulations, and  since it's a Togashi character, he can write him without feeling any signs of remorse or having any indications of having a lighter side. This guy is just plain twisted (in the most chuckle-worthy way possible, but still)

Also:

Doctor (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Because we can never have enough Togashi villains.

gunswordfist

Ah, Chase Young. His first episode was the best thing about that show.

Constantine Drakon (DC. Hmm, he was apparently in Arrow. And so was China White and Bronze Tiger. I'm impressed. Still have never seen the show though.)
Kat (Courage The Cowardly Dog)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 10, 2014, 08:37:29 PM

I defend that you can classify him as a villain on the same grounds that you can classify Cartman as a villain. He's not evil in the traditional sense of the word, but in his case he gets so much delight out of mentally torturing and driving his "subjects" insane (in a way that turns out to be completely humorous to the viewers), is constantly breaking intergalactic laws and regulations, and  since it's a Togashi character, he can write him without feeling any signs of remorse or having any indications of having a lighter side. This guy is just plain twisted (in the most chuckle-worthy way possible, but still)

By similar logic then, I'll nominate...

Nabiki Tendo (Ranma 1/2) - She's not evil or actively antagonizes her family and Ranma, but she delights in conniving people out of their money and exploiting them through underhanded means. She also practically sold Ranma into prostitution at one point in the series, not to mention gambled the family into debt just to win a battle with a similar money-tight character. On a moral level, she's worse than Happosai, who at least has compassion for other people's problems sometimes.

Shampoo (Ranma 1/2) - Aside from being an actual villain in her first appearance, she tries to murder Akane and Ukyo at several points later in the manga just to get them out of the way so she can marry Ranma, and is unapologetic in using trickery to get what she wants.

Ran (Urusei Yatsura) - Ran's role in the series is basically to antagonize Lum to get revenge on her for causing all the traumatic experiences in her childhood, and she goes to great extents to do that. She is still technically Lum's friend, but that doesn't mean she wont' try to kill her on the drop of a hat too.

You get the picture, I won't explain the rest of these:

Ryoko Mendou (Urusei Yatsura)
Pantyhose Taro (Ranma 1/2)
Happosai (Ranma 1/2)
Ryu Kumon (Ranma 1/2)
The Girl Gang (Sugar, Ginger, and Pepper) (Urusei Yatsura)

And then, on the traditional side:

Jakotsu (InuYasha)
Renkotsu (InuYasha)
Hisoka (Hunter X Hunter)
Illumi Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)
Shaiapouf (Hunter X Hunter)
Welfin (Hunter X Hunter)
Elder Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Yomi (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Father Mozgus (Berserk)
Kars (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Hoppered the Gauntlet (Trigun Maximum)
Midvalley the Hornfreak (Trigun Maximum)
Leonof the Puppetmaster/Emilo (Trigun Maximum)
Grinpatch (Toriko manga)
Chiyo (Toriko manga)
Creed Diskenth (Black Cat)
Copy Rezo (The Slayers)
Duclis (The Slayers Revolution)
Zumma (The Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R)
Lust (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Hannibal Roy Bean (Xiaolin Showdown)
Saddam Hussein (South Park)

VLordGTZ

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

Speed of Sound Sonic (One-Punch Man)
Sea King (One-Punch Man)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

It's wonderful to see Elder Toguro and Yomi get nominated. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

Pharass

Before I start working on listing all the contenders I'll have to ask Foggle and Homura Akemi to replace the following of their choices:

Steven Moffatt (Dr. Who)
Vladimir Putin (I, Putin: A Portrait) (I checked and apparently,I, Putin: A portrait is a documentary).

I'm also on the fence on whether or not I should allow Captain Janeway and Space (Gravity) to be included in the tournament. My exposure to Voyager is fairly limited, but I don't think Janeway was ever portrayed in a villainous or antagonistic manner (at least not intentionally). As for Space, I haven't seen Gravity so there's a chance I could be mistaken, but I get the feeling that it would be like calling the iceberg in Titanic a villain.

I know I said that people may have different opinions on whether or not a character was really a villain, but when I said that I was referring to characters who are morally gray and who straddle the line between good and evil. Perhaps I could've been clearer on that.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.