31 Nights of Halloween

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 01, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Cinemassacre has Monster a Madness, we have 31 Nights of Halloween.

Here we can talk about the horror movies that we chose each night of the month, and if you haven't seen some of these films, then consider them good recommendations to watch before Halloween is over. Contrary to the title, however, I'll be trying to post most of the discussions up in the daytime so that people have the rest of the day to view the movie and share their thoughts on it. I will also try to link to any review of the film which I feel adequately describes what's in store for those who either haven't seen it or need a bride refresher. With that said, let's begin with:

NIGHT 1:

Review (Spoiler-Heavy): http://youtu.be/1Vhj17YN904

So, I'm sure most people know about these films as they were insanely popular in the 90's, but for anyone who doesn't, Scream is one of the most popular films and subsequent franchises to be spawned by famed horror director Wes Craven (already a recognizable name in the horror genre from iconic films like The Last House on the Left and A Nightmare on Elm Street). Scream was also responsible for the great revival of the horror genre in the 90's, with the genre dying out during the middle of that decade, and Scream reigniting interest with a new spin on it. This spin was that of a satirical approach. To be clear, the movie played it straight like any other horror film, however it was also made with a very self-aware attitude that it was a horror film, and most of the dialogue from the characters, who are all actually familiar with horror films, both pays tribute to and simultaneously mocks all of the tropes of the genre. It's actually ridiculous how many horror references and jokes are crammed into this movie.

Knowing people on this board, I'm sure that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do feel that the first film, at least, has earned its strong reputation and following by doing something different for its time. As for the sequels, I'd actually argue that the second film was even better, and the third was atrocious. I haven't seen past the first 10 minutes of the 4th film, but I must say that the intro to that movie is one of the most legitimately hilarious things that I have seen out of any horror comedy.

Anyways, feel free to discuss this movie and the series. And, if this one doesn't float your boat, then there are still many more nights to come, so stay tuned! :thumbup:

Daikun

I love the Scream movies. I used to rent multiple horror movies at my Blockbuster and other mom-n-pop stores in my area, and a lot of them were plagued with cliches that were either laughable or cringe-worthy. I finally gave Scream a rent in 2000 (the first three movies were already out by then) and it felt so cathartic to see them pointing out all the bullshit. I enjoyed all four movies.

I also liked its parody, the first Scary Movie. Hated the sequels, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Scream was really great for its fresh take on the genre by both mocking it and reveling in the cliches at the same time. Randy was also a great character, as the surrogate horror movie fan who handled most of the exposition in the films regarding what cliches and tropes to watch out for in each movie.

I also thought it was clever how each film also satirized a specific kind of film in a series. Like, the first one was generally satirizing slasher flicks, the second was more specifically referencing sequels, the third was about the final film in a trilogy, and the fourth was about all of the modern reboots and remakes that we are getting, and how the rules of horror have changed since the original trilogy.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm watching it right now. It's a good horror movie that's smartly written and directed but I don't care too much for the sequels. The opening alone pretty handily skewers the whole slasher genre. I'd probably like the others as much if I was anywhere near as invested in this types of movies when Halloween is about the only one I like.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think the 2nd was the best in the series, personally, but I was never too big on the 3rd one, if memory serves. And, I still have yet to see the 4th one, outside of the opening scene, though I've heard mixed opinions on the movie.

Personally, I think that the first movie at least works both ways in regard to whether you like slashers or not. If you do, then you'll appreciate all of the homages and references, as well as celebrating all of the tropes, and even if you don't like this genre of horror, you would still most likely enjoy the dumb tropes of it being mocked just as well as the people who do like it.

My only real gripe with the movie is that it does feel a bit too cemented in the 90's with its dialogue and depiction of high school students.

Spark Of Spirit

My favorite part is where
Spoiler
Billy and Stu keep stabbing each other.
[close]
Too funny.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 01, 2014, 10:08:20 PMMy only real gripe with the movie is that it does feel a bit too cemented in the 90's with its dialogue and depiction of high school students.
Well, that's kind of unavoidable.  :sweat:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's also this little gem of a scene.

Spark Of Spirit

That was a good one. Randy's freakout in the middle of the video store is pretty funny, too. His passion for such a trivial thing is ridiculously over the top.

The entire climax of the film after the killer is revealed is hilarious. Wes Craven probably had a blast making this movie and playing with the tropes of a far beyond worn out genre of horror.

Good pick for the first night.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ironically the person who actually picked it is nowhere to be seen on this thread, so far. :humhumhum:

Randy was easily my favorite character in the film.

Spoiler
It's just a shame that they ended up killing him off in the second movie, though to be fair he got A TON of great lines in it.
[close]

I also love the ending scene of the first movie. It's comedy gold, and unlike a lot of crappy slasher films, this was actually intentional for once.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't watch a lot of horror movies, so I was thinking of making use of this thread and check out the movie of the day each night of the month. So, I just finished Scream, and I enjoyed it. I didn't find any of it particularly scary, but it was good at being suspenseful, and had a great sense of humor and actually got me to laugh quite a few times. Probably my favorite part of the movie was the beginning scene, which I thought set up the tone of the movie really well. The stuff after the killer was revealed was great as well, especially the
Spoiler
part where Billy and Stu keep stabbing each other and when Stu starts crying at the thought that his parents will get mad at him when they find out what he's done
[close]
I liked how the movie played the horror tropes mostly straight but with a certain self-awareness that lended itself to humor as well, making it work both as a straight horror film and as a comedy. Overall, I thought it was a fun flick. Will check out the second movie sometime if it's really as good or better than it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like the second movie better, myself, but others have mixed opinions on it.

If you haven't watched An American Werewolf in London, then I HIGHLY recommend that film, which is tomorrow night's movie, although unfortunately it's no longer streaming on Netflix, so it may be a bit tougher to find unless you go for the DVD or Blu-Ray. It's the best horror comedy that I've ever seen, personally.

Also, The Thing (John Carpenter version) is one of the best Sci-Fi horror movies ever, so definitely give that one a watch as well if you haven't seen it.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 01, 2014, 11:03:05 PM
Ironically the person who actually picked it is nowhere to be seen on this thread, so far. :humhumhum:
I will post about An American Werewolf In London tomorrow when I finally watch it. :sly: Don't really have much to say about Scream that everyone else didn't already mention.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NIGHT 2:

Review (Minor Spoilers): http://www.happydragonpictures.com/americanwerewolflondon

And also, Cinemassacre's Monster Madness video (Minor Spoilers): http://youtu.be/YERgTS6jEs4

It's time to go backpacking on a trip to London, go hiking with your best buddy, enjoy the sites, and also deal with the impending doom of slowly transforming into a werewolf on the side in tonight's classic horror comedy, An American Werewolf in London. Directed by John Landis, who previous to this was famous for directing classic comedies like Animal House and The Blues Brothers, we get his take on a horror film which still refuses to let go of his comedic roots in the slightest.

Actually, what works about this film is that, much like Scream, it IS played up completely straight, yet it has so much humor just in the dialogue and the way that certain characters act. For instance, when David first sees Jack's ghost, the first thing that Jack asks him is if he can have a piece of toast, with the straightest of delivery, and then goes on to talk about how he caught his girlfriend cheating on him after his own funeral. It's pure comedy gold, and probably wouldn't work if the movie didn't have the right balance of serious delivery yet humorous pros with the dialogue. I just love how casually he seems to take his own death. The rest of the film is excellent as well, with fantastic performances all around. A fun fact is that this movie would have originally been set in America, but Landis decided to move it to England since country tax laws for filming were more lenient over there than in the states, which made it cheaper to shoot there.

Anyways, this movie is a proven classic, so hopefully we get a lot more discussion this time around.

talonmalon333

A personal favorite and, to me, the best werewolf movie there is. You've pretty much addressed why it's so likable (I love David's reaction when Alex says out on the street "David, please be rational!"). I also think we can't get through this day without discussing that phenomenal werewolf transformation. Still the best ever on film, and unfortunately we'll probably never see anything like it again with practical effects being less prominent these days.

Before this month ends, I wouldn't be surprised if I feel the need to watch this move again.

LumRanmaYasha

Watched it last night. Loved the humor in the film and the actors did a good job with both playing some things straight and adding witty dialogue to most conversations. The parts with Jack's ghost are especially hilarious. David's visions were also cool for the what-the-fuckery of them and for building the tension of what's going on with him and his increasing paranoia and mental instability. I also loved the special effects, which were really top notch. David's transformation sequence is absolutely incredible.
Spoiler
I did find it odd how the movie just stops after David is shot dead. It feels like there should how been some denouement or something. It is kinda funny how it cuts immediately to the credits with that upbeat song though. And in a way, it does make a bit of sense, since this is David's story and it would make sense for it to end once David died. It just felt a little abrupt to me, but maybe that was the point. Also, am I the only one who felt that the movie was implying that the werewolf stuff was all in David's mind? Especially in the ending, where he's shot dead and we see his human body, it just felt like that was what was going on. Of course, having looked it up, it seems that interpretation is incorrect and he actually did become a werewolf, but I do feel the movie does at least keep you guessing as to whether it's all in his head or not.
[close]
Overall, I really enjoyed the film. Perhaps my favorite horror comedy that I've seen so far (though admittedly, I have seen fairly few).