Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, people give NG2 a hard time, but that so-called cheapness that comes from balance issues is really only a problem on the higher difficulty settings (which 90% of the people complaining about the game never even played). Acolyte and Warrior mode are very forgiving, for the most part, and most of the people complaining about the difficulty on those settings clearly didn't bother to learn how to play the game. There are still some glitches and crappy segments that were noticeable oversights by Team Ninja, but that has more to do with the rush to complete this game, rather than being incompetent developers.

That said, I do think that Itagaki could have benefited from making the game a bit shorter and more refined, like completely cutting out the weaker missions to improve the flow of quality throughout the game.

It sounds like Kojima did just that, which is a better decision (to me) than leaving in the weaker parts of the game just to make it seem longer.

talonmalon333

Actually, now that I think about it, I have seen fans who considering MGS2 to be some sort of masterpiece and work of art, and that it has some sort of deep meaning that we don't get.

Like, okay.

gunswordfist

There's always fans like that. Overall, I'm sure MGS2 is the least favorite out of the first 4. It's my least favorite so far and I like it more than many people.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 21, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
It sounds like Kojima did just that, which is a better decision (to me) than leaving in the weaker parts of the game just to make it seem longer.
Yeah, of the 19 main missions I've played, there's only been one I didn't care for. It's a shame that 13 of the 51 levels are missing, but the quality on display in the completed content is breathtaking... even if most of the side missions feel like filler.

talonmalon333

"5 Ways Konami Can Continue Metal Gear Without Hideo Kojima"
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/09/5-ways-konami-can-continue-metal-gear-without-hide.html

Excluding point #5 which is intended to be a joke, any thoughts on this article?

Spark Of Spirit

Konami will continue Metal Gear.

They will continue it the same way they continued Contra, Castlevania, Goemon, Gradius, Suikoden, and Silent Hill.

Welcome to the club, Metal Gear fans.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

#5 it is, then. :P

I guess a better way to address that article is: If Konami was still making real games, how could they continue the series without Kojima?

I know that's hard to imagine, but let's play pretend and think about it. :P

Foggle

Kojima has wanted Konami to continue the series without him since MGS3. They'd probably just keep reiterating the same formula from the most recent release (MGS5) until people grew tired of it.

talonmalon333

At the same time, though, didn't Kojima not work on Ghost Babel, Acid, Acid 2, Portable Ops, and Rising?

Foggle

Not only did Kojima not work on Ghost Babel, he reportedly planned to have its director (Shinta Nojiri) take over the series after MGS2.

talonmalon333

So there is still talent in there, then.

Also, any real thoughts on the article?

Spark Of Spirit

I wanted more Metal Gear games like Ghost Babel.

But judging by what they've been doing with their recent games outside of Metal Gear, they would have outsourced it for a few games, then filed it away in a vault never to be seen again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Rising was a fluke. It would have ended up like Lords of Shadow if it wasn't Platinum. Dull, slow, and quickly forgotten.

talonmalon333

But I was thinking that, if Rising 2 was made, it would be Platinum again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2015, 08:53:45 PMRising was a fluke. It would have ended up like Lords of Shadow if it wasn't Platinum. Dull, slow, and quickly forgotten.

If the game was good BECAUSE of who it was made by rather than by chance, then by definition it's not a fluke. :humhumhum: