Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Portable Ops is "canon," but Peace Walker contradicts it multiple times and MGS5's audio logs recap all the important bits (of which there are few). It's also not fun at all to play.

The MGS5 story leans heavily on Peace Walker's, but it's probably still understandable without playing that game. It's part of the HD Collection, though, meaning you can get it for the PS3 or 360. Aside from the Chapter 4 final boss and the grind to unlock the true ending (which I suggest just watching on YouTube), the game is very easy and can be beaten in a couple afternoons if you ignore the side missions and cassette tapes. Even if you don't want to play PW, I still suggest buying the HD Collection, as it contains the very best versions of MG 1 & 2 and MGS 2 & 3.

I would like to stress again, though, that the best way to play MGS5 is to do the Prologue and Episode 1 of the Phantom Pain first, then Ground Zeroes, then the rest of TPP. This appears to be the intended order and will improve the pacing & learning curve exponentially.

Quote from: Daikun on September 03, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
Portable Ops shows how FOXHOUND was founded, and the events of the game get a passing mention in MGS4. It's not really necessary to play.
IIRC Foxhound is literally founded through a throwaway line in one of the ending cutscenes.

Daikun

Quote from: Foggle on September 03, 2015, 07:13:13 PMIIRC Foxhound is literally founded through a throwaway line in one of the ending cutscenes.

No, the entire game shows the foundation of FOXHOUND. We see Big Boss meet Col. Campbell for the first time. We see them collecting the soldiers and their rebellion against the rogue soldiers of FOX.

Foggle

Yeah, but Big Boss leaves Foxhound immediately after its actual foundation, and Peace Walker seems to imply that he took the recruited soldiers with him to form MSF. So it mostly amounted to Big Boss coming up with a name and leaving Campbell to just do stuff on his own.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 02:16:27 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge

I guess this list is outdated?

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Foggle on September 03, 2015, 07:13:13 PM
Portable Ops is "canon," but Peace Walker contradicts it multiple times and MGS5's audio logs recap all the important bits (of which there are few). It's also not fun at all to play.

The MGS5 story leans heavily on Peace Walker's, but it's probably still understandable without playing that game. It's part of the HD Collection, though, meaning you can get it for the PS3 or 360. Aside from the Chapter 4 final boss and the grind to unlock the true ending (which I suggest just watching on YouTube), the game is very easy and can be beaten in a couple afternoons if you ignore the side missions and cassette tapes. Even if you don't want to play PW, I still suggest buying the HD Collection, as it contains the very best versions of MG 1 & 2 and MGS 2 & 3.

I would like to stress again, though, that the best way to play MGS5 is to do the Prologue and Episode 1 of the Phantom Pain first, then Ground Zeroes, then the rest of TPP. This appears to be the intended order and will improve the pacing & learning curve exponentially.

Quote from: Daikun on September 03, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
Portable Ops shows how FOXHOUND was founded, and the events of the game get a passing mention in MGS4. It's not really necessary to play.
IIRC Foxhound is literally founded through a throwaway line in one of the ending cutscenes.

Okay, so the audio tapes are all I need to understand the story. I already own GZ, but due to circumstances with my home it's currently in a box sitting in our garage. Haven't gotten it out yet. I can just rewatch all the cutscenes of GZ on Youtube when I get done with Episode 1. If I still feel too lost I'll just binge through Peace Walker's cutscenes on YouTube.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 03, 2015, 09:22:47 PM
I guess this list is outdated?
Very. Despite having not yet finished playing TPP or replaying MGR, I think I can safely say that my current list is:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge

Haven't played the original Snake Eater, and I skipped VR Missions on my replay, so I don't know how well it holds up.

talonmalon333

Foggle

I love the Tanker section way more than anything in MGS1. Just all-around great gameplay, and lots of it. Tanker >>> MGS1 >>>>>>> Plant IMO. The only games I actually dislike are the bottom 3, btw.

gunswordfist

I need to replay MGS 2, 3 and 4. It's been around 7 years since I played MGS4, 9 or more since I played MGS3 and up to 12 years since I last played 2. I also have played literally none of the others outside of maybe a little bit of Metal Gear 10 or so years ago. I forget and don't even ask me which version I played, if I did in fact play it.

Edit: With that said, my Best list based off of what I remember and have played.

Best indoors gameplay: Metal Gear Solid 2, easily. Pranking guards claymores and C4 on/in floors and lockers during their extra serious Clearing sequences is what made me fall in love with the series.

Best bosses: MGS3, of course

Best motorcycle sequence: MGS3. Volgin has my pick for best use of motorcycling in any video game ever. I still don't know how a PS2 pulled off something so epic without blowing up.

Best wilderness gameplay: MGS3, duh.

Best story: See above

Best urban gameplay: Hands down, MGS4.

Best stealth overall: MGS4

Best music: Either 4 or 3. 2 is not too behind.

Best weapons: 4.

Best final boss fight: 4 but, not counting Ocelot, 3's is pretty close.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 04, 2015, 04:47:15 PM
Best indoors gameplay: Metal Gear Solid 2, easily. Pranking guards claymores and C4 on/in floors and lockers during their extra serious Clearing sequences is what made me fall in love with the series.

Best wilderness gameplay: MGS3, duh.

Best stealth overall: MGS4

Best music: Either 4 or 3. 2 is not too behind.

Best weapons: 4.
You're going to love MGS5. :)

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

MGS3's final boss is my favorite thing in the whole series.

Quote from: Foggle on September 04, 2015, 04:11:26 PM
I love the Tanker section way more than anything in MGS1. Just all-around great gameplay, and lots of it. Tanker >>> MGS1 >>>>>>> Plant IMO.

I agree. But since that only amounts to 5% of the whole game, I just can't put MGS2 above MGS1.

Quote from: Foggle on September 04, 2015, 04:11:26 PM
The only games I actually dislike are the bottom 3, btw.

Twin Snakes escapes? :P

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 05, 2015, 12:00:07 AM
MGS3's final boss is my favorite thing in the whole series.
It's amazing, but I think The End battle slightly surpasses it for me. They're my two favorite boss fights in the whole series.

QuoteI agree. But since that only amounts to 5% of the whole game, I just can't put MGS2 above MGS1.
Hmm... I'd say more like 15-20%... and 50% of the total gameplay. :lol:

Twin Snakes escapes? :P
It's not horrible. I mean, it's still basically MGS1, just a much worse version of it. :P

gunswordfist

The End..I forgot about him somehow. Easily the stealth game boss GOAT imo

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 05, 2015, 01:31:41 AM
It's amazing, but I think The End battle slightly surpasses it for me. They're my two favorite boss fights in the whole series.

The Boss, The End, and The Sorrow are some of the greatest boss battles ever, so there's a lot to consider. I go with The Boss because it rivals The End in terms of how there are varied ways to fight her, but it's also phenomenal in terms of atmosphere. And of course, the character arc between Snake and The Boss just escalates it to a whole other level. I might call it my single favorite video game final boss fight.

Hmm... I'd say more like 15-20%... and 50% of the total gameplay. :lol:

I was just going under the assumption that it's about an hour length.

Still, it's such a tease. Basically what everyone wanted from a game titled "Metal Gear Solid 2".

It's not horrible. I mean, it's still basically MGS1, just a much worse version of it. :P

A parody. :P