Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

I've finally gotten around to watch Better Call Saul and from what I've seen so far, its definitely living up to my expectations (to be honest, I like it more than the first season of Breaking Bad). Jimmy makes for a very good lead and most of the supporting characters are interesting as well, particularly Chuck. Oh, and of course, its always great to have more Mike.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I was feeling down, since The Americans is done for the season, but then I skimmed some of the reviews for OITNB, and I can't wait for it to hit Netflix.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I finished season 4 of OITNB. I'm mad about a certain character's death, and I'm surprised that the white supremacists weren't knocked down yet, but it was still a good season.

This was better structured than the last season, and it gave us some insight into characters who needed time, like Maritza and Lolly, as well as explained why Susanne and Soso are here. Plus, less Chapman and more Nicky.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

A friend of mine shared this list, and I have to say... huh. I can't really agree with the placements for a lot of shows here.

#1, for starters, is way too milquetoast for my tastes to earn its position. And I can name way too many series that deserves a spot here before Full House.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Breaking Bad is only one spot too low....

You know, up until last season I could have easily supported Game of Thrones being ranked in the top 5, but I have a really sour opinion of this season. On the one hand, I could forgive the glaring plot-holes and just enjoy the great acting and spectacle, and to an extent I have. It's certainly not bad TV for the most part. However, I'm one of THOSE people who ended up getting into the books after getting hooked on the show, and I fell in love with George R. R. Martin's writing and themes. I don't blame the show for not being able to translate all of that, because quite frankly it's impossible. However, I felt that what made the first four seasons work so brilliantly is that they managed to capture the spirit of the books, however that started fading away with the fifth season, and this season has almost none of that spirit left. It feels part grimdark brutality for the sake of it, and another part fan-service in how many "crowd-pleasing" moments it has, regardless of whether they make sense or not.

To be fair, though, judging the show as a whole, the good still far outweighs the bad, so I suppose that the ranking is still somewhat justified.

Foggle

Why is The Wire below Big Bang Theory

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Because stereotypes are popular and HBO GO/NOW didn't exist a decade ago.

Avaitor

The Emmys were revealed, and here are the important nominations:

Best Drama Series-
The Americans

Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series-
Matthew Rhys, The Americans

Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series-
Keri Russell, The Americans

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series
The Americans- "Persona Non Grata"

New blog!

Pharass

Quote from: Avaitor on July 14, 2016, 11:07:45 AM
The Emmys were revealed, and here are the important nominations:

Best Drama Series-
The Americans

Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series-
Matthew Rhys, The Americans

Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series-
Keri Russell, The Americans

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series
The Americans- "Persona Non Grata"

Yes! This pleases Pharass.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch the fourth season yet, but The Americans is definitely among my favorite shows and Russell and Rhys are both great in their roles.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Season 4 is the best yet!

I'm actually really disappointed that Alison Wright didn't gain a nomination herself, since she pulled off a hell of a final act.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I watched Stranger Things on Netflix. Did anyone else see it? It's pretty great.

It's like a much better version of Super 8.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

5/8ths through the show right now. Some of the character dynamics I like, especially with Hopper. But then shit like Nancy's love triangle with Jonathan and Steve hampers some of it down.

Spark Of Spirit

That has a pretty good pay-off, I think, but I don't want to spoil it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Watching the sixth episode. I like that they're giving them reasons for being assholes instead of just being that out of nature, but now I don't like Lucas. He's in a situation he has no idea about, and thinks he has the right to judge Eleven? I know he's rightfully paranoid, but going it alone is just making it worse.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just started Deadwood and Star Trek TNG (since my brother told me that it's the most accessible series for a newcomer of the franchise). I've only seen the pilot episodes of each, so I can't really say much about them quite yet.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 25, 2016, 09:35:54 AMI watched Stranger Things on Netflix. Did anyone else see it? It's pretty great.

It's like a much better version of Super 8.

It was a nice surprise, and probably one of the best shows of the year so far. That said, I'm not really sure where the story can go from here with a second season. It'll be interesting to see what other bizarre stuff they can come up with to keep the story going, since the Eleven storyline has been pretty definitively wrapped up, with Hopper being the only real loose-end still attached to it (and maybe Will to some extent).