Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

On an impulse, I bought all five seasons of Babylon 5 for $20. On the one hand, this is a really good deal, since it's still likely to find some of these sets for this price, but on the other, I just haven't had the time to watch much lately, especially in binge format.

But I can finally get to it when I have the chance.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on November 23, 2018, 09:08:08 PM
On an impulse, I bought all five seasons of Babylon 5 for $20. On the one hand, this is a really good deal, since it's still likely to find some of these sets for this price, but on the other, I just haven't had the time to watch much lately, especially in binge format.

Where'd you find that deal? I wanna get them too!

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on November 24, 2018, 03:19:07 AM
Quote from: Avaitor on November 23, 2018, 09:08:08 PM

Where'd you find that deal? I wanna get them too!
A local pawn shop had the series. It was probably a bit less than what they wanted, but they took my offer anyway, even after designating it to layaway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

It's around that time of year when I play catch-up on some of the programs that aired this year, and I started off with Killing Eve. I was liking its MI5 setting and the earlier cat and mouse chasing, but I wasn't feeling the back half as much. Most of the twists and revelations fell flat for me, and while I admire its sexuality, I didn't really buy the pending relationship at the end. I'll stick around for the second season, but it's not my favorite.

Next up is My Brilliant Friend.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Watched the first two episodes a couple days ago. Villanelle reminds me too much of Ruth Wilson in Luther, and every other "cute girl who turns out to be a psychopathic murderer" character. It's like watching a generic anime character in live-action, which is jarring to say the least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just finished The Haunting of Hill House. I've always found Mike Flanagan's works to be somewhat interesting, but none really managed to stick with me. That said, this series actually did manage to win me over. I have some issues with how self-indulgent the writing can get in later episodes, but it did manage to hold my interest the entire way through and genuinely surprise me in good ways with it's storytelling. The directing was the real star here, though. Were that not handled as well as it was in most episodes, this show would be just another American Horror Story to me.

I will say that I don't find it to be scary, though. Judged purely on horror, it's not really that effective, but I tend to view it more as a psychological suspense thriller with horror elements, myself.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, that's another show I meant to get to. I will soon, but I'm not sure when. I kind of wanted to read the original novel first, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for that. I have seen the 1960's film and parts of the 90's remake, but I'm not 100% sure if those are the same thing.

I got around to My Brilliant Friend, which I really liked. It reminded me of a more female-centered Italian new wave film, right down to its occasional sadistic moments. I really liked the friendship between Elena and Lila, but the rest of the cast was surprisingly solid as well, and had plenty to offer. I'm definitely curious to see how the next season goes, but I may also end up reading the books, if my mom still have them.

Also, RIP Bob Einstein

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, while technically based on the original novel, it has about as much in common with it's source material as Blade Runner does with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, so it's best treated as it's own original series that takes some inspiration from the novel and the classic movie adaptation.

Dr. Insomniac

Started the first season of The Americans, and I'm four episodes in. The cat-and-mouse game is fun, but I'm waiting for the show to go beyond "Elizabeth and Philip put on wigs and murder people".

Avaitor

If I recall right, it does take a little bit for the ball to start rolling, when it starts questioning Phillip and Elizabeth's duty to each other, and it becomes more apparent that Stan isn't going to find much out anytime soon. Not because he isn't smart enough, but he's going to have enough shit to take care of.

I finished The Terror the other day, which is pretty damn cool, and makes me want to read more about the lost Arctic expedition. Even on its own though, it builds such great tension that kept me drawn throughout.

I also saw the first episode of Deadly Class, which was meh. It felt more like a celebration of the stock high school and superhero archetypes on screen than a deconstruction, and a cool soundtrack couldn't save an average script and camerawork. I'll probably give it a little more of a shot, but I might just stick to the comics instead, as I got the first volume for dirt cheap a while ago.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

The Good Place will end with this coming season.

I've been enjoying the show (although season 3 did drag at times- it got better after they left Australia, mostly), but this is for the best. Such a high-concept show can't run forever, and I'm hoping they found a good place to end.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Chernobyl was pretty good. Tense in all the right moments. Haunting atmosphere. Relevant message in light of recent talks about the world's future. And it came from the guy who wrote those awful spoof movies like Scary Movie 3 and Superhero Movie.

Mustang

Any sports fans? NBA? Free Agency has been crazy. I'm laughing at Knicks fans, hoping they don't commit suicide (praying for Stephen A Smith). I'm actually shocked the Pistons was able to land Derrick Rose. I heard talks about it, but I didn't think it'd actually happen. So, while it's nothing big I am happy that Detroit actually did something (I wouldn't exactly call D-Rose a nobody, but he is a shell of his former self, but he changed his game and I like what I saw from him last year) Any other time they do nothing or make a silly decision (Reggie Jackson)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Insomniac

I've been watching the first season of The Good Place. Wasn't really expecting this show to be so serialized. Feels like a show that was meant to be binged on Netflix, but somehow got stuck on NBC. It's a pleasant surprise though.