Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Just finished watching Battlestar (well, I haven't watched The Plan yet, but it's The Plan, so...) for the second time. Held up really well for the repeat viewing, and I found myself appreciating many of the subtleties and nuances a lot more this time around. It was also quite nice seeing the extended versions of several episodes, as I had only seen the broadcast versions before.

I still stand by my opinion that Daybreak was a great episode. They could have handled the ending better, sure, but aside from the fact that the whole "harbinger of death" thing amounted to absolutely nothing and a few select scenes where Ron Moore attempted to use Baltar as a vehicle to preach his religious views, it was excellent. The flashbacks were wonderful and the huge battle at the Cylon Colony was awesome and IMO easily rivals any similar scene ever put on film.

Personally, I would have ended the series with Starbuck accidentally jumping the Galactica directly into the Sun, but I'm a sadistic bastard and can't resist a good kill 'em all ending.

Avaitor

I found this list on Community's FB page, and I'm surprised with how many of these shows I'm familiar with.

10- So yeah, you all should know that I'm hugely obsessed with this show, and I don't think it's lost a bit of its power in recent years at all. It remains as consistently hilarious and heartbreaking now as it did since the very beginning, and I think it'll stay that way until the very end. I'd put it higher myself.
9- Okay, this one I'm not really familiar with at all. But word is good from what I've seen.
8- Also haven't seen this one. To be honest, I tend to avoid Abrams-like epics, and this doesn't seem that different from the lot of his shows.
7- I wrote about this show elsewhere, but I agree that it's really something special. I think after I'm done with Doctor Who, I'm going to marathon all that's aired so far and make a thread for it.
6- I love what I've seen, although I haven't had the time to watch it regularly. Sooner or later though, I plan to change that.
5- I disagree with this one entirely. Super obscure references =/= intelligent humor. Or actual humor.
4- See: #6
3- A little too high for my taste, but it still has its moments of brilliance, sure.
2- Unsurprising. I don't watch either show regularly, but I really like them both from what I've seen.
1- I actually bitched about this show the other day on here, but really, they're spot on here. It really is that emotionally and humorously challenging, in an often rewarding way. Even though the shipping aspect is weird, the characters are still dynamite.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Pharass

Almost done with season 3 of Buffy, I think this is my favorite season, out of the ones I've seen so far. Of course, a lot of that has to do with it's main villain, Angelus was great as the sadistic friend-turned bad guy (although, chronologically he was evil before turning good),but I'd say that Mayor Wilkins has him beat when it comes to sheer entertainment value. I just love this guy.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I finally started watching Sherlock, and I'm wondering why I've taken so long. I don't think you guys know this, but I'm a really big fan of the character and Doyle's original stories, and I think this is an ace, if far from perfect, modernization of Holmes.

I really do hope that CBS doesn't go with their Americanization, btw. I think the world needs to be spared seeing Holmes in New York. We're still trying to get over Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Watching Slings & Arrows. And liking it a bit. A little too much like Six Feet Under, but it's still good.

Foggle

I don't really see much in the way of similarities between the two. The first two episodes, maybe a bit. Everything after that? Not at all.

Foggle

So I just watched the first episode of a 90's sci-fi show named Lexx. It was... really fucking weird, but I liked it. I think. I laughed at a lot of the jokes and was intrigued by the strangeness of it all, so I guess it was good? I'm not really sure. Will continue watching, but it's a bit of a trip. Imagine if both versions of Battlestar Galactica did a bunch of recreational drugs, had sex, and produced a mentally unstable child. That's what this series reminds me of.

Foggle

Second episode was pretty cool. Tim Curry was deliciously evil (as always) in his guest star role. Wasn't as good as the first episode, but I heard the series becomes truly great in season 2 (and there's only 4 episodes in the first one!).

Dr. Insomniac

Where Modern Family satisfies my need for crazed parents on TV, Outnumbered does it for children. Love it whenever Karen talks.

Angus

Watching first season Supernatural back when it was just hashing out classic horror stories of the week.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

Quote from: Kiddington on September 29, 2011, 05:34:20 PM
So I finally caught Ted Danson on CSI last night. You know, being a big Cheers fan and all, curiosity got the better of me.

Uhh... yeah, still sucks. And now, they're officially desperate.

Funny you mention him when they added Elisabeth Shue as well. Miami's gotten some fun with the corrupt lawyer throwing in monkey wrenches on the team.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

Quote from: Angus on April 02, 2012, 04:07:43 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on September 29, 2011, 05:34:20 PM
So I finally caught Ted Danson on CSI last night. You know, being a big Cheers fan and all, curiosity got the better of me.

Uhh... yeah, still sucks. And now, they're officially desperate.

Funny you mention him when they added Elisabeth Shue as well. Miami's gotten some fun with the corrupt lawyer throwing in monkey wrenches on the team.

Yeah, I see Marg Helgenberger left now as well. There's almost nobody left from the original cast, as far as I can tell.

I called this like five years ago, and as it'd happen to turn out, I was right. Basically, CSI is the new Law & Order; a simple concept crime procedural with an interchangeable cast of thousands that leave and come back every five years. Can't say I'm surprised, either; once this took off and became a "hit", it was only a matter of time.

Avaitor

I feel compelled to try some Quantum Leap out. Not every episode is on Netflix instant though.

New blog!

Angus

When I read the first episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho (and Bleach), I thought about Quantum Leap.  Could have been one way to go with the show, if they didn't want all the fighting action.