Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Season 4 of The Wire has been excellent so far!

Avaitor

Yeah, I think it's already shaping up to be my favorite. Even though season 3 was not a step down in any conceivable way, I actually prefer 2 a little, since I really liked the Sobotkas. But everything in 4 has been at its best thus far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

The big show right now is Hannibal. I have to admit that I was a little bit skeptical to give it a chance, considering the sequels, but the reception is strong all over the place. I'm going to have to add it to my list.

Let's just hope that the fangirls don't ruin this one for me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

Just finished season 4 of The Wire.

Yeah, if there was ever any doubt in my mind about this being the greatest television show ever made, it's gone now. Those last two episodes were almost too much. I fucking cried - multiple times. I never do that.

Seriously, if you haven't watched this series yet, you must. Just forget about any other TV until you do. Good lord.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on June 07, 2013, 03:19:47 PM
The big show right now is Hannibal. I have to admit that I was a little bit skeptical to give it a chance, considering the sequels, but the reception is strong all over the place. I'm going to have to add it to my list.

Yes, because fangirls can physically deteriorate the quality of a show with their vaginal fluids.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 07, 2013, 06:14:16 PM

Yes, because fangirls can physically deteriorate the quality of a show with their vaginal fluids.
It happened with Superwholock.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on June 07, 2013, 06:20:24 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 07, 2013, 06:14:16 PM

It happened with Superwholock.
Just ignore the fangirls then. I mean, I can give you the former two, maybe, but Sherlock is so damn good that no amount of fanbase annoyance could deteriorate it.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm trying to do that.

Strangely, I haven't been phased by GOT's following at all, even if the shitstorm from the Red Wedding made me laugh a little.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

On the contrary, Game of Thrones' quality has been physically stripped of any of the pristine quality that GRRM wanted merely because of the words of fangirls that I can easily ignore. No matter how good the acting of Jack Gleeson or Peter Dinklage is, the mere hint of conversation about them causes my anus cavity to shrivel. Hours of painstaking production from one of the most admirable crews on television cannot persevere from a single tumblr that probably isn't even that annoying except within the confines of my mind. No one else should be able to express their extreme opinions for a show other than me, and that is a basic fact.

Avaitor

Really though, one of the amazing things that Game of Thrones shares with The Wire and Mad Men is that their large cast is so well-defined and acted, it's entirely possible to have 4 or 5 favorite characters, while talking to others and find out that their list is completely different.

New blog!

Foggle

The Wire has like 100 characters and I love almost all of them.

Dr. Insomniac

I wish I had his facial expressions right now.

No-Personality

Decided to re-watch The Office again on Netflix: WI. Had a bad hiccup with my computer, but I literally got through about a season each day. Now I'm up to the Gettysburg episode of season 8. The only thing I want to say this time around is... I do not like Jim anymore. Especially in season 7, he's turned into... almost a jerk. I also want to say that the first time I watched season 8 was a disaster. For the first 10 or so episodes (except for the first episode, "The List" which is still the best of that season). But it's not nearly as bad the 2nd time around.

But, there is 1 problem. It doesn't make any sense. Episode 2, "The Incentive" is a good example. Andy tells the Sales' staff that Robert California tells them they have to sell more, etc. Everyone tells him that if they could boost their sales, they would have already. They told him it isn't possible. Without new leads, new clients to sell to, and new territories to find them in. Then, he says, "if you sell more, I have prizes." They say the prizes bite. Andy says he'll get a tattoo on his butt if they sell more and puts the "prize" on an extremely high number of points on high volume of sales and... they meet his quota in maybe a couple hours. But, how is that possible? They already told him they were basically out of new clients, etc. Where are they selling to make up this incredible new high volume?

And what about when Jim takes the Salesman job over Michael because Sabre has a policy of no caps on commissions and then when Jim is about to surpass his old cap, he keeps selling and discovers that Sabre has a cap on commissions. And the dialogue doesn't even mention the deal where Jim bothered to stay in Sales because the policy stated: no cap on commission. Something changed without an explanation of why.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Insomniac

New Arrested Development makes me wonder why I still have cable.

Avaitor

NP reminds me, I've been wanting to give The Office another chance. Of the "good" NBC single-camera comedies, it's the one I wasn't able to get into, but I think I'd like it more if I watch it all in order, with some time removed. I've gotta queue that up.

New blog!