Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I'm watching an episode of Curb where Larry's dog is considered racist.

I hope this goes better than the KOTH episode.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Buffy season 7 is A LOT better than season 6 was, so far. It seems suitably strong and well-paced for a final season of the series. Hopefully the rest of the season is like this. If so, then I don't understand why I've seen people say that the last season is terrible.

Angel season 4 is great, too, especially with the epic return of Angelus. The whole love-triangle between Angel, Cordelia, and Connor seriously creep'ed me out, though. That's borderline Oedipus-esque territory. :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Holy crap....Did I just hear a direct DBZ reference in Buffy: The Vampire Slayer? Well, now I've seen everything.

Pharass

Five episodes into Breaking Bad's fifth and final season, this is definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen.
Pretty sure that Walter himself is the most evil character left in the series. Even Mike, ruthless killer though he may be, has a code of honor of sorts. Of course, this development was bound to happen since the entire show has been about Walt's turn to villainy.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It just hit me that I only have 5 episodes of Buffy left to go. Its been a fun ride through the series, for the most part. Hopefully the conclusion to this final season will be suitably well-done to send the series off on a high note.

Angel season 4 has been a bit too convoluted for my liking. It started out OK, but I've grown kind of tired of the "mystical pregnancy" plots in this show (it kind of bothers me that this is even a thing in this show, in the first place). Its like a pattern between Buffy and Angel for me, really. Its always one of them has the strong season while the other one has a weak season. On that note, I liked Angel season 1 better than Buffy season 4, Buffy season 5 better than Angel season 2, Angel season 3 better than Buffy season 6, and now I'm liking Buffy season 7 substantially more than Angel season 4, but on the whole I still really like both shows. I just can't wait for Angel season 5, since I know that's when Spike will join the regular cast.

Avaitor

I still wish Joss got to make that movie with Spike and Willow. Or the one with Giles that the BBC was going to fund.

Ah well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 14, 2013, 07:00:08 PM
I still wish Joss got to make that movie with Spike and Willow. Or the one with Giles that the BBC was going to fund.

Ah well.

Spike deserves his own freaking series, IMO. I mean, there's just so much that you could do with that character. I know that I'll probably be disappointed that he only gets 1 season on Angel (since it ends with season 5), being that I can only imagine how great his and Angel's chemistry would be together. I haven't seen season 5 yet, but I just feel like there's no way he couldn't be gold on that show. He's my favorite character in the entire Buffy-verse, personally. I mean, I really don't get how this guy apparently has a bunch of haters.

Avaitor

Spike kinda pussied out when he and Buffy got into their weird relationship. He still had his sense of humor, but he wasn't really the same, never mind the fact that the whole idea of them being together was stupid as fuck. And I say this as someone who never understood why Buffy and Angel had so many supporters either.

Spike's a lot more fun in his season of Angel. AndI do believe that he's had a canon series or two in the ongoing comics line.

Also, my favorite character in the Buffyverse has to be Giles. He nearly made my 10 favorite characters list, just missing by a slight hair.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 14, 2013, 07:46:45 PM
Spike kinda pussied out when he and Buffy got into their weird relationship. He still had his sense of humor, but he wasn't really the same, never mind the fact that the whole idea of them being together was stupid as fuck. And I say this as someone who never understood why Buffy and Angel had so many supporters either.

The relationship was stupid (season 6 on the whole was full of really idiotic sub-plots), but Spike was still legitimately funny and entertaining, IMO. He had plenty of good moments in that season. In season 7 they play his character a bit more serious what with him getting a soul back and all, but he still has plenty of bad-ass aspects to his character, so I still think he's entertaining as hell.

QuoteAlso, my favorite character in the Buffyverse has to be Giles. He nearly made my 10 favorite characters list, just missing by a slight hair.

Yeah, Giles is a great character, but that may have more to do with Anthony Steward Head's amazing performance of the character than the actual writing behind him, which on its own is decent enough, but probably wouldn't be nearly as special if it were delivered by any other actor.

Overall, though, Giles is probably my 3rd favorite character. My 2nd favorite is actually Xander, believe it or not, if only because I can relate to him the most. I did like Willow a lot as well, but season 6 REALLY dragged her character down for me....like, a lot.

Also, while we're listing off favorites, my favorite villain in the series was Angelus, followed closely behind by The Mayor. My least favorite villain in the series was Adam, who was just plain dull.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 14, 2013, 08:00:23 PM
Also, while we're listing off favorites, my favorite villain in the series was Angelus, followed closely behind by The Mayor. My least favorite villain in the series was Adam, who was just plain dull.
Not bad choices, but I'd switch the Mayor and Angelus myself.

I can see why season 6 ruined Willow for you, but she's still my favorite female on the show. I think Anya and Cordy are tied after that.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If we're specifically talking about Cordelia on Angel, then she's hands down my favorite female character in the entire Buffy-verse.

Also, as much as I initially disliked him, Wesley has really climbed up there for me, though I still wouldn't exactly call him a favorite.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished Buffy. The series finale was great, IMO, and overall I really liked the final season. I don't know why I've heard people say that its not that great. Sure, on the whole it wasn't quite as great as seasons 2, 3, and 5, but I personally liked it substantially more than seasons 1, 4, and 6, and even those seasons had plenty of great moments (and I certainly wouldn't call any of them downright bad), so on that end season 7 did its job just fine for me. Most of the characters got proper closure, and I LOVE that one scene before the final battle where Buffy, Xander, Willow, and Giles all stand together in the school hallway and have a conversation like its a normal day, and then we get Giles making that great callback line to the 1st season, where he says that "the world is most certainly doomed." It was also great to get a brief cameo appearance from Angel in the episode.

I think my only problem with the ending might be just that I know that Spike's sacrifice doesn't mean that much in the long run since I KNOW that he will be back in Angel's final season. But, that's not really a fault of Buffy as a show. I just find that since I already know the character will be coming back, it kind of cheapens the impact of his supposed sacrifice for me. Its the same with how Angel being killed off in the season 2 finale didn't really phase me that much since I knew that he'd be resurrected in season 3, and how Buffy's death in season 5 didn't mean anything since clearly the show wouldn't go on for 2 more seasons without her. At any rate, that whole Spike thing is just a nitpick on my part. Overall the series finale was great and I really did enjoy the series on the whole. I think season 7 was also the perfect spot to leave it off on, so even though the story supposedly gets continued in the comics, I really have no interest in reading them at the moment.

No-Personality

Not in the least inspired by a certain popular internet comedian-critic, I've decided to revisit the Americanized seasons of Sailor Moon which ran in 1995 & 1998 (choosing to skip anything 2000 and up, because... you just can't change Serena's voice a 3rd time).

Starting with the Allen and Anne episodes. Or Alan and Ann. Or Allen and Ann. Or Alan and Anne. Whatever combination is correct. I'm up to episode 6, "Kindergarten Chaos."
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 28, 2013, 03:28:42 PM
So, I recently just came to the realization that Angel is basically the closest thing that I'll ever see to a Devil May Cry live-action TV series. Sure, one is a TV series and one is a video game series with over-the-top action, but the basic concept is more or less the same. A demon of some sort (in this case Angel is a vampire, but he's still basically just a type of demon) that allies himself with humans and some other demons or supernatural forces, and goes out on case-by-case missions to fight other demons, who are evil n' stuff. Of course, being that Angel is a TV series and not an action game, it naturally has much better writing than any DMC game.

Anyways, I'm on season 5 of Buffy and season 2 of Angel. I fucking hate Dawn. I just want to put it out there. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking with adding in this character as a plot-point, and maybe she was deliberately meant to be annoying, but where in writing 101 does it say that adding in a character strictly as a plot device and making them as unbearable as possible is a good idea?

You know how Whedon loves to kill off characters just becuase? Well, now'd be a good time to keep with that principle of his. But, you know, I'm just say'n is all....

Angel is still great, though. On the whole, so far, I really do like Buffy as a series, but always felt that the teen melodrama aspects of it always held it back a bit. Angel as a series has all of the good elements with Buffy without the teen angst and with a bit more liberty in telling downright darker story-lines, so its just more up my alley as a show.
Do you have to throw DMC into every conversation these days? :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Let's see: I want to start The Wire and Breaking Bad, probably the Shield (Hmm, I think how much I like Lemonhead will make me bother), restart and finally finish Prison Break and its movie (PLEASE watch this show, Insomniac. I am going to watch The Wire, dammit), finish Human Target, catch up on Burn Notice and y'all are making Buffy and Angel sound real good so I might get into those two shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody