Whatcha Bleedin' Watchin'?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, January 10, 2011, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I want to take the shootout from this week's episode and put in Benny Hill music.

talonmalon333

A few things I've been watching lately.

Breaking Bad

This was a long time coming, but I've been watching this lately. I wanted to start it a while ago, but I specifically wanted to watch it with one of my friends, and we've finally gotten around to starting that. A few episodes in. The series has such a high quality feel to it, like the production values are good. Nothing spectacular yet but the series does a great job of engaging within only a few episodes. Some of the characters are frustrating me, but in a good way in that they aren't bad characters, but rather, I really want to see what they do next. I'm legitimately looking forward to seeing where it goes next. But now, I'm just trying to carve out time lately so we can watch it more often than we currently are.

Grimm

I've been following this one for a while. It's a good example of a show that you really have to accept the flaws of to appreciate. Particularly, you have to get past the first batch of episodes in season 1 which are mediocre and forgettable, and you have to accept the cheap CGI which never improves. But after the beginning, the overall show picks up a lot. The main plots of episodes, which are standalone murder cases, are about as good as an above average Saturday morning cartoon. I really don't have much to say about any of them. It's the main characters that make it work because they are all incredibly likable. The most engaging part of any episode is the character arcs that expand across multiple episodes. It seems like a show that shouldn't work, but it does because it doesn't take itself too seriously and carries with it a really strong fun vibe while using seriousness only when necessary. I'm nearing the end of season 4 and it's better than it's ever been.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, nice to see you finally watching Breaking Bad. It gets better with each season, though season four is my personal favorite.

I also recommend the spin-off show, Better Call Saul, after you manage to finish this series.

Avaitor

I'll try to start the Wet Hot American Summer show over the weekend. As much as I enjoy the original film's laid back approach and varied chemistry, it seems like a weird concept, but it looks like fun! Plus they literally got everyone back, and even added more people in, so let's see how it good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Oh man, so who saw the Daily Show finale?

It's crazy to think that it's really over.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Watching this season of Fargo. Amusing to see Meth Damon hiding yet another body.

talonmalon333

So, Ronda Rousey lost a match, and she is no longer the UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship. This is such a surreal feeling.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

It's strange, isn't it? She is so absurdly good that it's easy to start believing that she'll never lose. And, if she ever does, it would be after a long and close match... But instead, it really wasn't. Holly Holm took her out in the second round, and frankly, it wasn't even a close match. She just chipped away at the champ, and Ronda was clearly getting thrown off her A game more and more and comparatively looked reckless. It was easy to doubt Holly's credentials, but she's a legit striker, big time. You can really see how she went into that fight knowing exactly who she was fighting, and how to win it.

I just hope this doesn't effect Ronda's life poorly. She had a lot of momentum, not just in UFC, but in various other opportunities. Hopefully, this loss won't slow her down.

Avaitor

Man, and I was hoping that she'd keep her undefeated streak going after she and Mayweather could get their match approved.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 15, 2015, 04:37:07 PM
It's strange, isn't it? She is so absurdly good that it's easy to start believing that she'll never lose. And, if she ever does, it would be after a long and close match... But instead, it really wasn't. Holly Holm took her out in the second round, and frankly, it wasn't even a close match. She just chipped away at the champ, and Ronda was clearly getting thrown off her A game more and more and comparatively looked reckless. It was easy to doubt Holly's credentials, but she's a legit striker, big time. You can really see how she went into that fight knowing exactly who she was fighting, and how to win it.

I just hope this doesn't effect Ronda's life poorly. She had a lot of momentum, not just in UFC, but in various other opportunities. Hopefully, this loss won't slow her down.

Exactly how I feel.
Quote from: Avaitor on November 15, 2015, 11:53:47 PM
Man, and I was hoping that she'd keep her undefeated streak going after she and Mayweather could get their match approved.
:srs:

talonmalon333

Quote"I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support. I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I'm fine. As I had mentioned before, I'm going to take a little bit of time, but I'll be back."

gunswordfist

I read that. :) Also, hopefully she changes camps. Her coach fucking sucks.

talonmalon333

Sounds like she is taking a break, which had already been her plan even before losing.

I think it's funny that everyone, including myself, thought that the match between Joanna and ValĂ©rie would be the show stealer, and that Ronda's match would be a spectacle but would just be another instance of Ronda winning within seconds. Turns out, neither of those things happened. It's incredible just how well Holly  went into that match and put on a technically perfect performance, and how well prepared she was. She even said beforehand that no one had yet to hit Ronda hard enough to throw her off her A game. It can't be emphasized enough, Ronda didn't stand a chance.

When they have their rematch, I wonder what will happen, and how Ronda will prepare now knowing what she's up against.

gunswordfist

I did think Holly had a bigger, if not much bigger chance of winning than Valerie Letourneau did. I'm still surprised she did it though. I just got around to watching the fight.