Ushio & Tora

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 10, 2015, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Also, I am glad that they clarified what happened with the keystone. I thought Hakumen was lying for a minute lol That adds so much more to this conflict.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that it's safe to say that this is a definite top 10 anime for you, Desensitized, and myself.

Spark Of Spirit

No question. This type of show is the reason I became an anime fan in the first place.

I just wished we lived in a world where we could get more from Kazuhiro Fujita. Whether having his other manga adapted, or just getting the manga officially released here. This anime clearly shows he's an excellent storyteller.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I am sure it is! I think UT just bumped past Jojo for me and is in my no. 3 spot.
Spoiler
One more thng! You could tell Nagare's death was tearing up Tora. But of course he could not bring himself to admit it. He even brought out his signature laugh to hide it. I am sorry but I think I laugh a little when he did the laugh lol
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

And now we know where Tora comes from.

I do enjoy how Fujita actually explains why Tora is the way he is. There's a reason he's the only Azafuse who retained his personality. There's a reason he has a particular grudge against Hakumen no Mono (who apparently is an actual demon in physical form). There's a reason he hates people, and a reason he seemingly can't die. And there's a reason Nagare's death hit him so hard. His background is suitably tragic, given how long he went bathed in misery and hate. His time with Ushio was really the first time he'd ever had anything resembling a normal life.

It should be fun to see how Ushio gets back in the game. Tora's not going to be able to beat Hakumen on his own.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm curious, does the manga actually continue past this point? If so, I wonder what could possibly have been added to the story after this arc. Everything that we saw early on in the series came back in a big way, and these last few episodes have been answering lots of questions and wrapping up various plot threads with a great sense of finality to all of it. This does suitably feel like we're in the full story's end-game territory.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2016, 12:41:01 PM
I'm curious, does the manga actually continue past this point? If so, I wonder what could possibly have been added to the story after this arc. Everything that we saw early on in the series came back in a big way, and these last few episodes have been answering lots of questions and wrapping up various plot threads with a great sense of finality to all of it. This does suitably feel like we're in the full story's end-game territory.
The anime's ending is confirmed to correspond with the manga's ending. So, it's pretty much the same.

The only thing the anime is missing are standalone stories and a few side arcs earlier in the story. Oddly enough, most of the cut material was between episode 13 and 14, and episode 26 and 27, including the arc that introduced the Kansai Yokai army which is now on Ushio's side. So, between the ED switches is where most of the missing material is.

As much as it is sad they couldn't adapt every story, I am impressed at how well they adapted the main story. It doesn't feel like anything is missing.

gunswordfist

Words cannot express how I feel right now...I thought Ushio & Tora could not surprise me anymore after what was revealed in Hyou's last episode. The wait for Tora's origin was worth it. Him not openly getting along with Ushio or humans makes since now, finally, since learning about why he's full of hatred.

gunswordfist

Wait, did Hakumen know Tora was there and just ignored him on purpose during the Jie Mie past episode? I can't wait to rewatch all of this series sometime after it's complete so I can pick up on more things like that.

Spark Of Spirit

Tora wouldn't have been an Azafuse at the time the Beast Spear was made: they didn't exist yet. Hakumen wouldn't have recognized him.

gunswordfist

Oh, good point lol I need to rewatch to also wrap my mind around the show's timeline.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Remember when Tora said whoever took the spear from the rocky peak should have just minded their own business? lol

Spark Of Spirit

I just noticed that the spot in Tora's shoulder that Hakumen burst out of, is the exact same place he was pinned with the Beast Spear for all those years. Nice touch.

But speaking of the episode, wow. Tora's been just as handily defeated as Ushio was. The final battle ain't slowing down for nothing, though this episode showed that things aren't quite so hopeless after all. Every single person Ushio and Tora helped out along the way are there to back them up.

Only four episodes left!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn! Tora got wrecked! Hopefully he can make a full recovery somehow, or at least enough to get back into fighting shape once Ushio and the others arrive.