The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, cartoonish tonal switches like that is hard to replicate in live-action without coming off as surreal or strange, and as good as these movies are there were I admit there were some moments that did feel off in live-action (most notably Kenshin's "Oro" verbal tick). I guess I didn't mind them so much just because I felt they got most everything else right, but I can see your point that it makes it less accessible to someone who isn't familiar with it than Marvel's films are. Though, I'd say for RK fans themselves these movies are still really enjoyable.

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Dragon Ball Super #57: "God with the Invulnerable Body - Zamasu's Advent" - 3
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid #13: "The Continuing Day By Day" - 8
Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal #4: "The Cross-Shaped Wound" - 11
Trigun #21: "Out Of Time" - 8

"The Continuing Day by Day" and "Out of Time" are tied. You guys know what to do.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Switch Trigun and Dragonball on my list. We already have two or three other Trigun episodes that already moved onto the next round, so I'm throwing FMP a bone here to keep it more varied and interesting.

LumRanmaYasha

"The Continuing Day by Day" and "The Cross-Shaped Wound" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

"Kagura's Wind" -
Spoiler
This episode stuffs a lot of different plotlines into a single episode, and I enjoy all of them for how they develop the characters. But the reason I love the episode is mostly for the second half, with Kagura slowly dying after finally achieving the freedom she longed for and Sesshomaru's battle with Moryomaru, and the pivotal moment where for the first time he feels anger and sorrow for another person, breaking the Tenseiga and rushing to see Kagura to try and save her before she passes away. This is an important moment in Sesshomaru's character development as the first time he truly does something selfless and has empathy for someone, and is what later allows him to use the full capabilities of the Tenseiga. My favorite scene in the episode, and the series as a whole, is Kagura's death scene. It's such a tragic and bittersweet end for her character, whose desire for freedom she was only able to obtain until death, but she still died content because she was able to see the man she loved one last time. It's such a powerful, emotional scene and it gets me every time I watch it. This episode is not going to pass this round probably because I'm the only person here who likes IY and whatever, but this episode comprises some of my favorite moments and my definitive favorite moment in the series which revolves around and gives excellent development to my two favorite characters from it.
[close]

"'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'" -
Spoiler
The crux of the episode is the relationship between Shinji and Kaoru, how Kaoru is the first person Shinji really feels comfortable talking to and be treated kindly without any stipulations, yet tragically he is an enemy he must destroy. There's more going on than that, but it's basically the final nail in the coffin that makes Shinji lose his faith in people completely, leading him to destroy the world and everyone in it besides him and Asuka in EoE. What sells the episode is mostly thanks to Anno's as-always masterful directing, and how he knows how to create tension and atmosphere by staging, composition, color, and timing which more than supplements the episode's more limited animation.
[close]

"Osomatsu-kun Returns" -
Spoiler
A great satire of modern anime cliches and pop culture presented as a classic cartoon trying to revitalize itself to be hip with a modern audience, going totally awry with too many ideas in the pot and that the characters themselves fundamentally can't change who they are without losing who they are "They aren't even any of Akatsuka's characters in this anymore!" which is another great commentary on how misguided some reboots can be. I especially appreciate this episode because of it's foundation as a Boy Over Flowers and later just general reverse-harem shojo manga parody and make fun of the cliches and premises of those kind of series, which to me is the funniest part moreso than the end where they start putting in more mainstream visual references to other popular series, which is the part more people seem to like probably because of easier recognizably. It's all great though and a brilliant premiere to one of the funniest anime comedies in recent memory.
[close]

"The Great Hinazawa Disaster" -
Spoiler
This is a suspenseful episode as you are trying to figure out what's going on like Satoko and are disturbed by all the dark twists and turns, despite knowing they're coming. This arc isn't one of my favorites in Higurashi, but it's sets a tone for the second season that carries through and makes you really want to see the characters overcome the timeloop, and this episode delivers on that through your realization of what's going on at the same time as Satoko perfectly.
[close]

VLordGTZ

"Osomatsu-kun Returns"
"Kagura's Wind"
"'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'"
"The Great Hinazawa Disaster"

Avaitor

I knew I forgot to do something!

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"Osomatsu-kun Returns"
"The Great Hinazawa Disaster"
"Kagura's Wind"
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

InuYasha: The Final Act #2: "Kagura's Wind" - 9
Mr. Osomatsu #1: "Osomatsu-kun Returns" - 12
Neon Genesis Evangelion #24: "The Beginning and the End, or 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'" - 13
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai #5: "Disaster Awakening Chapter Four – The Great Hinamizawa Disaster" - 6

"Osomatsu-kun Returns" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

"Mellow Maromi" -
Spoiler
A great dark comedy satire of the anime industry that somehow manages to say about as much about how harsh and difficult working conditions and office politics are in it's 22 minute runtime that Shirobako does in it's entire run.
[close]

"Land of Adults -Natural Right-" -
Spoiler
Kino's past as a child in the Land of Adults offers a great insight into her mature character and how her ideas of adulthood, humanity, and self-identity were inspired by her encounter with the original Kino.
[close]

"Les Diaboliques" -
Spoiler
Perhaps the funniest and most memorable episode of PSG, introducing the Daemon sisters as formidable foils to Panty and Stocking both comedically and in terms of an actual threat, while also providing the series' best fight scene with the battle between the Anarchy and Daemon sisters in the school. Great episode, but stiff competition.
[close]

"Bell Nuts - Passing of the Year Festival - Reconciliation" -
Spoiler
Touching episode where the Haibane of the Abandoned Factory forgive Reiki of her past altercations to help her find peace and move on. Of course, her inability to forgive herself and self-loathing prevent her, leading into the next episode. Personally, I'd single out episode 13 as the most emotional and cathartic peak of the series and I would've nominated that episode over this one myself, but this is still a really good episode with great character development and payoff on the relationships between Rokka, Reiki, and the Abandoned Factory Haibane.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Isn't anyone going to vote? This match has been up for like a week already.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm going to have to pass as I'm only familiar with one of these shows.