Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

From what Shout has divulged it seems that Nick really doesn't care enough about this kind of stuff, so even if they had it they won't actively search for it and use it. They'll just stay wherever they are and rot.

Nick doesn't really have any respect for its origins.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I had the first DVD set at one time, but I sold it due to lack of interest.  I bought it, watched it all the way through once, and decided I didn't want it anymore.  But I do remember some edits that Nick made that were reinserted on the set, such as Ren's creepy ass rant as to how he was going to torture Stimpy and Sven in "Sven Hoek", but it was a rough insertion, and you could easily tell.  I think it even had time stamps on it.

I've toyed with the idea of rebuying the set, but I still don't quite have the interest.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

I own the first set; bought it some time ago (at that time, I was still having nostalgic feelings for this show, before fully realizing that, even with nostalgia in its corner, some things just don't age well). I haven't touched it in some time, though. I remember watching the entire thing once, and just thought to myself "wow... this show really isn't a good as I remember it to be".

I never bothered with the other two sets, though. John K. had already moved on by that point, and I've heard enough horror stories to steer clear of those (and, having watched a couple of Games-era episodes on Nicktoons before, I thought they were all terrible). It wouldn't be worth the money... not for me, anyway.

...and as far as the missing footage goes, I've never been enough of a fan to pay attention to what was supposedly taken out. For those "in the know" on this; are the sets really that much of a hack-job? I've never really noticed anything myself, but then again, I haven't watched 'em in quite a while.

Spark Of Spirit

The Games episodes as a whole probably contain the most pedestrian, uncreative, and bland cartoons I've ever watched in my life. They aren't generally awful, but they aren't really anything special or worth rewatching.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

The sets tried to add in some edits that Nick made, but at the same time took out just as much, if not more footage, since John K just took from the Spike TV airings, which cut out a lot to make room for more commercials. So as a whole, they're pretty disappointing.

I don't know what the TeenNick run would be like if they do go with the show. Maybe they'll air the DVD edits, or the Nick edits, or whatever. And I know that while I wouldn't mind the show airing at some point, I probably won't vote for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on August 11, 2011, 11:50:15 PM
The Games episodes as a whole probably contain the most pedestrian, uncreative, and bland cartoons I've ever watched in my life. They aren't generally awful, but they aren't really anything special or worth rewatching.
Heh, I just got done reading your review on here for the Games era episodes not that long ago. And I agree wholeheartedly; by that point, the only thing the writers were interested in doing was grossing out the audience as much as possible. Not that the John K. era is exactly a shining example of how an animated series should be done in my eyes, either... but at least the show still felt fresh, at that point. Once he left, it was in full autopilot from there on out.

Lord Dalek

You know its funny... what I still consider to be the single greatest episode of Ren & Stimpy ever is a Games episode.

Kiddington

Which episode, if you don't mind me asking?

Lord Dalek

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, there definitely are some great ones buried in there. they're just buried in there so well.

Avaitor

In this week's classic Nick update, Rugrats won last week's poll, and there's another one with a lot of the same Nicktoons up this week. Plus they've been promoting Double Dare a little, and an episode of Hey Dude is watchable on the site.

I think anything's fair game, but Arnold and Rugrats have a pretty good chance of being next up on the block.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Both fine additions, IMO.

Wonder when the changes will finally take place. They've be running the same four shows for close to a month now, so I'm thinking things will be shaken up sometime soon.

Avaitor

I do hope it comes soon. Like, next week soon. I love the shows on now, but I wouldn't mind a change, and it seems like a lot of followers were starting to get tired of the lineup by the second week.

Although I know Clarissa will be one of the shows gone, and I'm probably going to miss it the most. It holds up way more than it probably should, IMO.

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, I'll be sad to see Clarissa go as well. The show really hit its stride in Season 2; too bad the rights for that weren't included in the Shout Factory deal.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say Doug will also be on the outs, with All That and Kenan & Kel sticking around for the foreseeable future. Going even further, I wouldn't be surprised if All That was a permanent fixture, given that the central theme of the block is heavily centered around that show.

Avaitor

That, plus Kenan's the unofficial host. I think either Doug or K&K are likely to go soon as well. Maybe Doug. And the lineup's staying the same next week. Ah well.

Oh, and the first episode of each of the shows on the block (or the season 2 premiere, in All That's case) are free on iTunes now, while the shows are discounted in price. I'm hitting up the free eps now (Clarissa aside, since I own the DVD), even though I never use iTunes.

New blog!