The Greatest Comic Tournament

Started by Pharass, November 27, 2016, 04:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Hello and welcome to the Greatest Comic Tournament. The rules are the same as they've been in previous tournaments, so let's just get this show on the road. Here we go:

Round 1, Match 1:

Scalped by Jason Aaron & R.M. Guera

Vs.

Finder by Carla Speed McNeil

Vs.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure by Hirohiko Araki

Vs.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa

Vs.

Death: The High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman & Chris Bachalo

----------

My Votes:

Finder
Scalped
Death: The High Cost of Living
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Well, I'd say this tournament is off to a good start.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

How long will each match be up? I need to read some of these.

gunswordfist

5 per round? Imma need some time. lol Already ordered Jojo but still need to get the other 3.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on November 27, 2016, 11:34:59 AM
How long will each match be up? I need to read some of these.

I was thinking two weeks. You guys let me know if that's not sufficient, I'm always open for suggestions.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Pharass on November 28, 2016, 08:34:26 AM

I was thinking two weeks. You guys let me know if that's not sufficient, I'm always open for suggestions.

Sounds good to me!

I'm going to post now, but if time permits I may change my rankings if I manage to read more than what I currently have of these:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure -
Spoiler
JoJo's is everything I've ever wanted in a battle series. Fights aren't determined by who is stronger, but by who an use their powers more cleverly, and each encounter feels more like a mystery than a brawl. It's also great to follow the characters and Joestar lineage through the generations, and with each part, the series constantly evolves in it's storytelling, reaching one hell of a climax in SO that still boggles my mind to reflect upon. My favorite Shonen Jump series and one of my all time favorite manga and comics in general.
[close]

Death: The High Cost of Living -
Spoiler
Sandman's Death is possibly my favorite interpretation/personification of the concept and a infectiously endearing and thoroughly fascinating character in her own right with her friendly and bubbly personality contrasting an underlying existential longing. Contrasting her zeal for life and the ability to be among the living for a day with a boy disillusioned with life and suicidal and how she manages to change his perception and ideas on what it means to live makes for a great and honestly uplifting short story.
[close]

Finder -
Spoiler
I read Voice, which I know is a volume pretty late into the series, but it was the only one I could find at my comic shop. That said, I didn't really have a problem following the story, and I found it a really interesting commentary on gender and race relations, the connections between family and social status, the values of classifying and associating ourselves with groups and how we identify as individuals, race relations and prejudices, and just a generally well-constructed social commentary. I definitely hope to read more of the series when I get the chance, because the subject matter is really up my alley and in line with stories I think of and write myself.
[close]

Scalped -
Spoiler
Good crime thriller and interesting native american social and racial commentary. Profanity reads as excessive at times, but I can easily picture this series as a great live-action drama on AMC or HBO and am kind of surprised it hasn't been tapped for adaption already.
[close]

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck -
Spoiler
I unfortunately couldn't find a copy of this. I've read other Don Rosa Scrooge stories and I do really enjoy them, but until I can actually read this particular story I can't rate this higher than series I've both read and enjoyed.
[close]

Avaitor

I want to look for some of Finder and Scalped before I vote. I'll try to come back before the deadline.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I have Death. I can probably get Jojo this week too.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Pharass

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Whoa, thank you! Voting tonight, once I finish.

Dreamer2

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Death: The High Cost of Living
Finder
Scalped
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

gunswordfist

Pharass

Having counted all the votes twice, I am pleased to announce the results. Voila:

Scalped: 14 pts
Finder: 15 pts
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: 15 pts
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck: 14 pts
Death: The High Cost of Living: 18 pts

As you can see, Finder and Jojo are both tied. Now, I know that usually two of the contestants advance to the next round, but I was thinking about only having comic from each match move on. However, I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter. So, are you guys fine with that?

If not, then we'll proceed as we usually do.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Jojo
Edit: Whoops, sorry. I didn't read due to trying to secure the Jojo victory asap. I prefer the two comic books move on method, either way. And I am still picking Jojo fir the tiebreaker.