Do you read manga in English or in Japanese?

Started by Markness, May 26, 2020, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markness

Just asking out of curiosity. I own a lot of manga and it's mainly from Viz, Kodansha Comics, Dark Horse, Yen Press, Seven Seas, etc. I wish I could read Japanese but I can't so I have to either read officially published English translations or fan translations. How is it for others here?

Avaitor

Just English for me. I haven't learned any Japanese yet, but since I am interested in visiting someday, maybe I should learn a little bit of the language.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've dabbled in Japanese, but am nowhere near even basic reading comprehension. I know my Kana well enough to be able to sound out words but can only recognize some very basic Kanji at this point, nor do I know their various pronunciations which change by context of the word. It'd take me at least two solid years of constant practice to even get to the point of considering being able to read anything in Japanese seeing as how at best I only recognize some words and very few phrases.

So yeah, I've always read manga and continue to read it in English. I would one day like to read an entire manga in Japanese, though.

Markness

I also prefer reading manga physically over online unless I can't get it in English officially. However, it seems like a lot of people on manga forums hate Viz and other American publishers. I don't think Viz is all that bad and some of their translation issues like with Zoro being called Zolo and edits to Dragon Ball are due to things beyond their control.