Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on December 26, 2014, 12:18:29 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 25, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
You could see through all their N64 games. They were getting more bloated and gimmicky, less focused on core gameplay. DK64 is sort of the end point of that, but since they never made another game like that afterwards, it's hard to tell what was going on.
Banjo-Tooie came out after Donkey Kong 64. It was the same kind of game, and it was amazing.
:humhumhum:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

You are not allowed to diss B-T in my presence. :devil:

Nel_Annette

*Opens mouth to say something.*

Quote from: Foggle on December 26, 2014, 12:23:12 AM
You are not allowed to diss B-T in my presence. :devil:

*Shuts up.*

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 25, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
You could see through all their N64 games. They were getting more bloated and gimmicky, less focused on core gameplay. DK64 is sort of the end point of that, but since they never made another game like that afterwards, it's hard to tell what was going on.

I'd say the first signs were even earlier, as far back as DKC3.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Daikun on December 25, 2014, 11:04:37 PM
(Also, Banjo would be in Smash by now.)

Every day I think about how Duck Hunt has a skin color that makes the Dog & Duck look like Banjo & Kazooie. This is why my fantasy dream game is a Duck Hunt reboot in the style of Banjo-Kazooie where the Dog is called Duck & the Duck is called Hunt. Also, get Grant Kirkhope to do the music. But, since the VC game came out, my dream is just that.

Also, I still find it interesting that Nintendo allowed Rare to have every character they created back, instead of sitting on them. I remember one former Rare staffer mentioned that when some Microsoft guys saw Donkey Kong stuff in their offices, they thought they had the rights to Donkey Kong. Makes me wonder how Nintendo would have handled Conker & Banjo-Kazooie. Especially considering nowadays since Nintendo did tell Platinum Games that Bayonetta didn't need an undershirt for her Nintendo inspired costumes.

I mean, I still find Viva Pinata to be a fun experience. It just suffers a bit for its art. Looks too kiddie for adults to take it seriously & the game is something I don't imagine giving to a kid due to some complex stuff. Nuts & Bolts probably would have not gotten as much hate if they didn't repurpose it as a Banjo-Kazooie & make it a new IP, even if it would have gone the way of Kameo & Viva Pinata.

Foggle

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

QuoteWelcome to Playtonic Games, home of an all new 'rare-breed' of game creators!

Playtonic is a new 'indie' studio formed entirely from veterans of the legendary game developer Rare Ltd.

Having helped create many hits, including the Donkey Kong Country & Banjo Kazooie series of games, we're now on a mission to bring you the video game stars of the future that are inspired by our past!

If you've made it this far towards our fine internet abode, then you've probably worked out that we're a new game developer, formed by some blokes who did those games you may or may not have liked as a nipper.

However, if you've stumbled here by accident in search of non-sexual relationship advice, allow us to explain what on Earth is going on...

Playtonic's the name, and fun games, unique characters and absolutely-frickin-amazing worlds to explore are our game. Or at least they will be, once we eventually get around to releasing our first project instead of faffing around on WordPress.

Ahem. Currently we're a sextet of artists, programmers and designers – sort of like The Pussycat Dolls with computer science degress – with one thing in common; we were all once core member of famous UK studio Rare, where we helmed franchises such as Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country and Viva Piñata.

We've got the bloke who programmed Donkey Kong Country, the character designer behind Banjo and Kazooie, and the artist who made your console fit to burst with lavish environments across a decade's worth of adventure games.

Together, our all-star ensemble is aiming to build its debut game, 'Project Ukulele', into a worthy spiritual successor to those fondly remembered platforming adventures we built in the past.

By now, you might be thinking, 'hold on mate, didn't you make similar claims after drinking too many shandies in the pub in 2012, you muppet?' Perhaps. But this time it's real! We're making a real, proper, actual game. Look: we even managed to trick convince Edge magazine to do us some pages!

You can read all about our venture and see the first artwork for our game in Edge issue 277, which is on sale from February 12.

Join us on our epic quest - Dream of a fun filled future of mega-awesome games! As we get back to our roots - creating unforgettable fun, unforgettable characters and unforgettable experiences, all sprinkled with a hint of magic dust from a golden age of gaming! Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates and opportunities to help shape our games!

AHHHHHHHHH I'M SO EXCITED :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

talonmalon333

We were just talking about something like this. Nice timing. :P

This is great to hear. Now all that needs to happen is they collaborate with Nintendo to make a Donkey Kong game. I doubt it'll happen, though. But I would be interested in seeing them make a DKC type of game without Donkey Kong. It'd be interesting to see it and how it compares to Retro's DK games.

Here's hoping for a great future for them, like the old days.

Foggle

Quote from: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=151438682Yes there is an interview with Playtonic, there's 6 full time staff now and they hope to grow to 15 staff. First game is a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie and they have funding but would like to work with a publisher if it is mutual. "There's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we've got the flexibility to do that." Game will come to Steam early access and certain consoles as soon as they can.

talonmalon333

By the way, this had me thinking. Did they change their name from Rareware to Rare when they were bought by Microsoft?

gunswordfist

i hope it's not a wii u exclusive.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I will keep my eyes on this. I have been waiting for them to do this for years.

Now if only they could get the ex-Free Radical guys as well.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 10, 2015, 12:19:48 PM
i hope it's not a wii u exclusive.
Only if Nintendo outright buys them or they have a relationship with them like Yacht Club Games. Either way I would expect at least a PC version.

"Over the coming months we'll reveal more about our project and future growth plans, and we very much intend to get you involved and listen to your views on our game's direction. You'll ultimately shape the destination of our project and we plan to continue exchanging sweet glances across cyberspace at you until we get there.

There's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we've got the flexibility to do that."- Playtonic
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Perfect dark and timesplitters 2 are my favorite multiplayer fpses so that would be lovely.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

talonmalon333

Rare should just give these guys the rights to Conker and Banjo. They aren't doing anything with those franchises, anyway, and they probably won't be.

Also...

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 10, 2015, 11:28:53 AM
By the way, this had me thinking. Did they change their name from Rareware to Rare when they were bought by Microsoft?

Avaitor

I can see them buy the rights to Banjo and Conker back if they make a successful game or two first. It does seem like a good idea for Playtonic to try their own IPs first, before dipping their hands back into the classics.

This is awesome, though!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/