What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Too bad Gaiden is nowhere as good as Sweet Home.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Resident Evil Gaiden is one of the worst video games I have ever played.

gunswordfist

It's a good thing I've never played it. We need a worst video games thread. I could use the laugh.

Foggle

Playing Umbrella Chronicles for the first time. Good game (though the retellings of 0 and 3 are beyond inept), but by god does it make me realize just how awful I am at rail shooters. I mean, I thought I must be at least decent judging by the fact that I can hold down a goregasm for the majority of any given HotD Overkill stage, but I'm getting seriously butt-fucked by normal zombies in this game on Easy mode. Took me three tries to unlock Ada's level (on Easy mode) while using a ranking guide. I'm so awful. :cry:

Spark Of Spirit

Unfortunately, Overkill is actually easy for a rail shooter (though that's because it wasn't made difficult to suck quarters and have to continue a lot, here they WANT you to push on) especially compared to the arcade games. Have you played 2 & 3 on the Wii? They're much harder.

Overkill's difficulty comes from having levels that are at least twice as long as your average rail shooter level and sustaining combos.... Now I want to play it again. I really hope we get a sequel someday.

Or at least G and Washington in the new Sonic & Sega All Star Racing game in the ice cream truck.  ;D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 16, 2012, 11:32:46 PM
Have you played 2 & 3 on the Wii? They're much harder.
Yeah, beaten them many times, in fact - both Wii and PC versions (though PC is pretty different since you use the mouse to aim). Did so before Overkill even came out, actually. I've also beaten HotD 1 in the arcade once, but I've never touched 4.

QuoteOr at least G and Washington in the new Sonic & Sega All Star Racing game in the ice cream truck.  ;D
That would be so awesome!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 16, 2012, 07:11:00 PM
Resident Evil Gaiden is one of the worst video games I have ever played.

I'm ashamed to admit I played some of it.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 16, 2012, 11:27:56 PM
Playing Umbrella Chronicles for the first time. Good game (though the retellings of 0 and 3 are beyond inept), but by god does it make me realize just how awful I am at rail shooters. I mean, I thought I must be at least decent judging by the fact that I can hold down a goregasm for the majority of any given HotD Overkill stage, but I'm getting seriously butt-fucked by normal zombies in this game on Easy mode. Took me three tries to unlock Ada's level (on Easy mode) while using a ranking guide. I'm so awful. :cry:

Umbrella Chronicles is fun, but the story oriented material is total crap. And the villain's even worse than Marcus. :P

Darkside Chronicles is meh though. Too flashy and not simple, which is what a rail-shooter should be.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 16, 2012, 11:50:27 PM
Umbrella Chronicles is fun, but the story oriented material is total crap. And the villain's even worse than Marcus. :P
Yeah, Sergei is a bit... I don't know. He makes Marcus and Alfred look cool. Nicholai was a much cooler Russian bad guy.

Speaking of Nicholai, what they did to RE 3's plot is downright insulting. The adaptations of 0 and 1 were bad, too, but this one was just pathetic. Nemesis is now part robot and moves slower than Mr. X? Jill is no longer awesome and has to have Carlos protect her the entire time? Carlos doesn't have an accent? Nicholai isn't even mentioned? The RPD is the only location from the actual game that's used... and they get picked up there?

I really like the sub-scenario stages (that is to say, the original content made specifically for this game), though. Wesker's are a bit unexciting, but Nightmare and especially Death's Door are totally awesome. Ada's counterattack is overly badass; I love it. Really excited to play the Umbrella's End scenario tomorrow.

Spark Of Spirit

As someone who knows almost nothing about Resident Evil and loves rail shooters; are the RE rail shooters worth it for some like me? They are literally the only rail shooters on the Wii I have yet to get because I hear conflicting opinions on them all the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Umbrella Chronicles is fun but very difficult. About a third of the levels are extremely boring, while the rest are amazingly fun and really get your blood pumping. The best levels are the ones that have original stories created specifically for this game, though the ones based on REmake are also pretty fun. Stick with it, because it doesn't really leave a good first impression with the RE 0 levels.

Two levels can only be unlocked by A ranking certain stages (and, by extension, 3 more, which require you to simply beat those unlockable stages), while the rest are obtained normally. There's a good amount of replay value on the fun levels because you'll likely want to go back and play on higher difficulty settings and/or try over and over for the coveted S ranks. There are a lot of unlockable files, but they won't mean anything to non-fans.

The cutscenes and story summaries are absolutely horrible for the adaptations of past games, but that shouldn't really be a deterrent.

I have not played Darkside Chronicles yet (will pick up that one once I finish UC), but the verdict on it appears to be that it's strictly for series fans only.

gunswordfist

Just started the Mass Effect 3 demo for the 2nd time. I didn't even get to play the first time around due to having to go somewhere.

Foggle

Yo, Spark Man, you said you have no knowledge of Resident Evil... does that mean you've never played 4? Because you really should. One of my favorite Wii games! It has two great control schemes (Wii remote aiming and traditional analog stick style if you don't like the Wii controls) and tons of content. Very fun; one of the most exciting and lengthiest action-adventure games ever made IMO.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 17, 2012, 11:25:58 AM
Just started the Mass Effect 3 demo for the 2nd time. I didn't even get to play the first time around due to having to go somewhere.
Oh yeah, that came out! Time to download it. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll second Foggle's recommendation. Having just come out of playing it myself and having barely any more knowledge of RE games than you do, I can say its one of the most satisfying action games that I have ever played, with an effectively creepy atmosphere on top of it. Don't make the mistake of assuming that its like the Gears of War-esque action shooters that came after it, because I sort of made that assumption and its really nothing like how modern TPS games handle, despite inspiring the mechanics that many of those games use. At its core its still an RE game so there is tons of room for exploration and it has some really awesome boss fights going for it, too. I especially like how it puts you in situations where you're getting attacked by a boss and it doesn't blatantly tell you how to fight it, so you just have to figure out the best strategy for yourself. Its easily one of the best games from last gen, from what I've played, and probably a good entry point into the RE-franchise (at least it was for me).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 17, 2012, 12:02:27 AM
Nicholai was a much cooler Russian bad guy.

And I don't even think Nicholai was that cool, but he's a heck of a lot better.

Quote from: Foggle on February 17, 2012, 12:02:27 AMCarlos doesn't have an accent?

He barely had an accent in RE3 either. He sorta turned it off and on throughout the game. :P

Quote from: Foggle on February 17, 2012, 12:06:31 PM
Yo, Spark Man, you said you have no knowledge of Resident Evil... does that mean you've never played 4? Because you really should. One of my favorite Wii games! It has two great control schemes (Wii remote aiming and traditional analog stick style if you don't like the Wii controls) and tons of content. Very fun; one of the most exciting and lengthiest action-adventure games ever made IMO.

Which control scheme you think is better?