What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Yesterday, I found out Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 has online 4 player co-op and deathmatch so I plan on playing the hell out of that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I beat Vanquish, and it was awesome. Well other than the story which took too much time away from the action (too much focus on Burns despite him being completely boring and one note with a horrific voiceover) and level 3-4 (Stealth is not fun in an over the top action game) I had a pretty great time.

If you like shooters and haven't played it yet, you're missing out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on October 04, 2011, 01:20:13 PM
I beat Vanquish, and it was awesome. Well other than the story which took too much time away from the action (too much focus on Burns despite him being completely boring and one note with a horrific voiceover) and level 3-4 (Stealth is not fun in an over the top action game) I had a pretty great time.

lol @ stealth in Vanquish.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 04, 2011, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on October 04, 2011, 01:20:13 PM

lol @ stealth in Vanquish.
Exactly my thoughts.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

:lol: I had no clue it had stealth. What's with people putting drastic gameplay changes in games? That's not how water cooler moments work.

Daxdiv

Been playing Psychonauts on my PC recently and still pretty fun for me. I just finished Milla's training so now I can roll on a ball. This time I actually discovered a dark part about her past that I didn't see the first time I was playing this game. It's near a semi-hidden part in that level where you're supposed to float to one area, but I noticed a figment near a balcony and in there were figments of kids, a vault containing memories of Milla as a orphanage caretaker and a chest that takes you do a dark place. Ouch.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, after being incredibly busy for the past couple of weeks, I finally get some free-time to chill out this weekend now that I finished my Pharmacology exam and don't have any exams for next week.

I went straight back into playing RE4 and now I'm up to Chapter 3-1. Since I'm a bit of a completionist (well, not really, but I like to do as much as I can in a game), I ended up killing all of the Gonados on the left path and then went back and killed El Gigante on the right path, just so I could have the satisfaction of having killed every last living thing in the level. :D

I was actually really low on ammo during the fight with El Gigante, so I died/restarted a few times just trying to get the perfect boss fight in which I took minimal damage while not wasting all of my already limited ammo (I know you could just run away from him, but like I said I have a tendency to want to kill everything in a game as long as I have that option). I think got a bunch of money from its corpse and got even more money along the path to the gate, plus I got to replenish my ammo as well so going through that fight actually payed off in the long run.

Surprisingly, the actual boss fight was pretty easy. I first spammed my TMP on him in his first form, and then when he went into his 2nd form I just used a flash grenade to get him dazed and on the ground and then I spammed the Shotgun on him which kept knocking him down and prevented him from being able to swing on the pole to attack me. So I didn't give him any breathing room and pretty much finished him off (both forms) in well under a minute. I was just kind of surprised by how easy that fight was given how tough the guy looked.

Anyways, I'm now probably almost done with Chapter 3-1 (well, I'm assuming that I'm almost done with this portion of the chapter, anyways). I decided to listen to talonmalon333's advice and didn't bother getting the Riot Gun in favor of keeping my original Shotgun, especially since it was powerful enough as it is (really, I think that getting the riot gun would just be overkill). I also decided to keep my Red9 over the new handgun that was available in this chapter, since its a more powerful gun (and since I have a stalk for it, I believe it has a higher accuracy rate). I also decided not to buy the Broken Butterfly (magnum) since a friend of mine told me that I could find it for free later on in the castle.

Now I have a feeling that the game might get more challenging since I've entered the castle. I'm not sure why but it just seems to be the perfect set-up for tougher enemies to appear.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 14, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
So, after being incredibly busy for the past couple of weeks, I finally get some free-time to chill out this weekend now that I finished my Pharmacology exam and don't have any exams for next week.

I went straight back into playing RE4 and now I'm up to Chapter 3-1. Since I'm a bit of a completionist (well, not really, but I like to do as much as I can in a game), I ended up killing all of the Gonados on the left path and then went back and killed El Gigante on the right path, just so I could have the satisfaction of having killed every last living thing in the level. :D

I was actually really low on ammo during the fight with El Gigante, so I died/restarted a few times just trying to get the perfect boss fight in which I took minimal damage while not wasting all of my already limited ammo (I know you could just run away from him, but like I said I have a tendency to want to kill everything in a game as long as I have that option). I think got a bunch of money from its corpse and got even more money along the path to the gate, plus I got to replenish my ammo as well so going through that fight actually payed off in the long run.

Surprisingly, the actual boss fight was pretty easy. I first spammed my TMP on him in his first form, and then when he went into his 2nd form I just used a flash grenade to get him dazed and on the ground and then I spammed the Shotgun on him which kept knocking him down and prevented him from being able to swing on the pole to attack me. So I didn't give him any breathing room and pretty much finished him off (both forms) in well under a minute. I was just kind of surprised by how easy that fight was given how tough the guy looked.

Anyways, I'm now probably almost done with Chapter 3-1 (well, I'm assuming that I'm almost done with this portion of the chapter, anyways). I decided to listen to talonmalon333's advice and didn't bother getting the Riot Gun in favor of keeping my original Shotgun, especially since it was powerful enough as it is (really, I think that getting the riot gun would just be overkill). I also decided to keep my Red9 over the new handgun that was available in this chapter, since its a more powerful gun (and since I have a stalk for it, I believe it has a higher accuracy rate). I also decided not to buy the Broken Butterfly (magnum) since a friend of mine told me that I could find it for free later on in the castle.

Now I have a feeling that the game might get more challenging since I've entered the castle. I'm not sure why but it just seems to be the perfect set-up for tougher enemies to appear.

You're in for some greatness. The castle is a lot of fun. Some great dialogue to be heard in there, too.

How do you like the game so far?

Foggle

The castle is actually the hardest area in the game, IMO. There are a few chapters that really pissed me off in that one, but overall it's definitely the best part of the whole thing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is it wrong for me to be a little bit happy that Ashley got caught in a trap? I mean, I know I'm supposed to want to get her back, but I wouldn't mind if she stays out of the picture for another couple of chapters, just because I feel that its a bit of a nuisance to protect her (graned that at least she's pretty good about staying behind you most of the time, but still its more fun when Leon is on his own and just fending for himself). I especially didn't like the part where I had to protect her while she was using the cranks to raise the platforms, since I had to rely on sniping out enemies from a distance and it was a bit annoying since a bunch of them were coming at her from both directions.

Having said that, aside from the occasional annoyance of having to protect Ashley, the game is really good so far. For one thing, I have actually grown to really like the inventory system. Usually I hate having to fiddle around with menus, but there is something oddly satisfying about trying to properly manage my inventory and save as much space as possible. Also, in addition to that, I like the game's pacing, in how I fight relatively small waves of enemies and accumulate weapons, ammo, health, and other items and then use a ton of the stuff that I've gathered and saved up to fight a much larger scale of enemies or take part in a big boss fight. It makes for a really satisfying feeling just getting a chance to spam every weapon you have to its full destructive power and generally wreaking havoc among your enemies after having spent so much time conserving your resources for such occasions. I do also like how the game will occasionally let up and give you some breathing room to explore and solve some easy puzzles, so as to not wear you out from having to face one hectic confrontation after another.

I also get a very Ninja Gaiden Black sort of vibe from this game. Obviously I don't mean in the gameplay department since they are completely different games, but I'm talking more along the lines of the structure of the game and the overall content. This feels like the type of game that I could immediately replay after I'm done with it (and just finishing it onces could easily take over 20 hours, which is how long NGB took me on my first run through that game). I also just like how the levels are somewhat interconnected so you get the feeling of playing through one grand-sized area rather than just trudging through a linear level-to-level experience.

GaryPotter

Decided to try and play some Sonic 2006 again. It becomes less shitty the more you play it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, personally I couldn't even make it through one playthrough of Sonic '06 before giving up on the game. I think my main problem with it is that its clearly an unfinished product when you really think about it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm on chapter 3-3 right now. Those mutant bug things that could turn semi-invisible are the coolest enemies that have been introduced in the game, so far.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: GaryPotter on October 14, 2011, 10:10:15 PM
Decided to try and play some Sonic 2006 again. It becomes less shitty the more you play it.
As a Sonic fan, I know I'm probably going to end up playing that one day... But not for a loooonnnng time.

Sonic Heroes was enough for me on the bad Sonic game scale.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on October 17, 2011, 10:48:59 AM
As a Sonic fan, I know I'm probably going to end up playing that one day... But not for a loooonnnng time.

Please don't. There are people in this world that care about you.