What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I do recommend that you give one of the old RE games a good try eventually, though. The controls aren't intuitive, but they really don't prove to be much of a hindrance after a little practice.

I recommend starting with the remake or 2. The first game gives you a good chance to get used to the controls before it ratchets up the difficulty, though the original version is pretty dated and feels stiff. 2 throws you into the thick of things immediately, but if you can manage to stumble your way into the police station, it's actually the easiest in the series. You'll quickly pick things up from there. You can also start with 3, but it's a bit more complicated and difficult to pick up than 1 and 2.

As your first foray into the world of classic RE, stay away from 0 and Code Veronica! Both of them are very difficult and contain excessive backtracking. They (especially 0) practically define the phrase "acquired taste," and should not be touched without prior experience with (and enjoyment of) the other entries.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I have a copy of 1 for the PS1 that I got ages ago. I've tried it about 5 times over the years but I never make it far because the controls make it not fun.

From the demo I've played of RE:Revelations, it has that same tone, exploration, and atmosphere as well as puzzles that I liked from the first game only with controls that don't annoy me to use.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 01, 2012, 07:37:17 PM
Yeah, I have a copy of 1 for the PS1 that I got ages ago. I've tried it about 5 times over the years but I never make it far because the controls make it not fun.
The sequels and remake have much better controls. It's the same basic scheme, but your movement is less stiff and pressing R1 (R on the GameCube version) auto-aims at the nearest enemy. Plus, all the other games aside from 2 have a quick-turn function, which makes movement a lot easier.

Daxdiv

I somehow got into the DotA 2 beta today. I only played one match and I have a lot to learn about this game. I was playing Omniknight in the hopes that he would be both a healer and a tank. He kind of was, but I have a lot to learn about his other moves.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 07:41:49 PMpressing R1 (R on the GameCube version) auto-aims at the nearest enemy.

Wait... that's in the original too. :-\

gunswordfist

I've been playing this game like a mad man. So addictive. After God damn AI Shiva killed Shiva and Mr. X for me in the level in the screenshot above, I beat the game for a 4th time (even though it gave me an ending I already got before) and I was going to get Rudra but she costs too damn much so I brought Mr. X. I left off on a playthrough with me playing as Mr. X and I think the AI is Shiva again. Hell, I forget. I'm also going to play a few fan levels for the game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 01, 2012, 10:08:05 PM
Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 07:41:49 PMpressing R1 (R on the GameCube version) auto-aims at the nearest enemy.

Director's Cut maybe. I do not believe it's in the very first version of the game.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 11:09:20 PM

Director's Cut maybe. I do not believe it's in the very first version of the game.

Oh right. I do have the Director's Cut. :P

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 01, 2012, 11:53:36 PM
Quote from: Foggle on February 01, 2012, 11:09:20 PM

Oh right. I do have the Director's Cut. :P
Can't believe that I just noticed that you have a Monster avatar.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 02, 2012, 02:38:52 AMCan't believe that I just noticed that you have a Monster avatar.

That's what happens when gunswordfist enters the room. Goes from a Resident Evil discussion, to something completely unrelated and irrelevant.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 02, 2012, 11:24:15 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on February 02, 2012, 02:38:52 AMCan't believe that I just noticed that you have a Monster avatar.

That's what happens when gunswordfist enters the room. Goes from a Resident Evil discussion, to something completely unrelated and irrelevant.
Do you like popcorn?

Spark Of Spirit

Simpsons arcade is still a fun beat em up.

I managed to get an achievement at the one thing I can actually do well at this game and that's beating the wrestler boss without dying. Only I did it solo. My gold ran out, but since this weekend is free gold weekend, if you guys wanna play just send me an invite. I just have to find my headset.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

OK, I'll see if I can get a game going with you. Right now I only got 5 achievements in the game, all of them story related, the 250 which is doable in single, hitting Smithers with a bomb and finding Bongo in 4 levels.

Foggle

Just finished REmake. Something funny I notice every time I play as Jill is a slight writing fluke near the end of the game.

Jill: Chris! You're okay!
Chris: Glad to see you aren't!

Aren't what? Hurt, probably, but apparently they forgot to put that word in the script, so Chris is glad to see that Jill isn't okay!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 03, 2012, 07:09:13 PM
Just finished REmake. Something funny I notice every time I play as Jill is a slight writing fluke near the end of the game.

Jill: Chris! You're okay!
Chris: Glad to see you aren't!

Aren't what? Hurt, probably, but apparently they forgot to put that word in the script, so Chris is glad to see that Jill isn't okay!

LOL. Here's another one that always bothered me. It's not an error like that, but I think it was a plot error. SPOILERS BELOW.

Barry: Jill! You?re alive! I was worried, cause I thought... you were...

*He pulls gun, she steals it and turns it on him.*

Jill: Start talking.

Barry: Calm down, I didn?t want to do it, believe me, I can explain!

Jill: Don?t lie to me!

*They beat monster.*

Barry: I don?t believe that thing?s really dead... Leave this place up to me,
go on ahead.

Jill: Okay.

*Later.*

Barry: Jill!

Jill: Barry!

Barry: You could?ve at least waited up for me, ya know. *(playfully punches
Jill in the shoulder)*

Jill: Let?s go.

... Like, are we not gonna address this? Barry just turned a gun on her, and she's letting him go like that?