What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 06:42:19 PM
I don't know, the first Sonic Adventure had a pretty amazing OST (disregarding almost every track with vocals, of course).

But I love the one in Colors! It's funky and chill with a few good rock songs, too. The theme music is complete garbage, though.
Sonic adventure is really good, too. But I think Colors is on par with the classics as a whole. Adventure has some bad tracks like most of the vocal themes, while Colors only fault is really the main theme. The rest of the soundtrack is perfect video game music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Sega is really one of the only companies that "gets" video game music these days. The Sonic, Yakuza, and PlatinumGames soundtracks always blow me away.

talonmalon333

I didn't think SA's soundtrack was that good. No better than SA2's. *Cues in the cheesy 80s' guitar riffs.*

Also, I was a bit harsh on some points earlier. The soundtrack is indeed good as a whole. And while certainly not that good, the controls aren't as bad as I made them out to be.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 06:48:52 PM
I don't know, the first Sonic Adventure had a pretty amazing OST (disregarding almost every track with vocals, of course).

But I love the one in Colors! It's funky and chill with a few good rock songs, too. The theme music is complete garbage, though.
Sonic adventure is really good, too. But I think Colors is on par with the classics as a whole. Adventure has some bad tracks like most of the vocal themes, while Colors only fault is really the main theme. The rest of the soundtrack is perfect video game music.

I actually like Sonic's vocal tracks. Sure they're cheesy as hell, but I'd be offended if they weren't. Plus they get the blood pumping and such. That being said some of them don't really fit the series despite being good songs in and of themselves (i.e, most of Shadow's themes).

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 07:36:37 PM
I didn't think SA's soundtrack was that good. No better than SA2's.
For me, SA's OST is far better than 2's. It has so many awesome funky songs.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on April 20, 2012, 07:38:54 PM

I actually like Sonic's vocal tracks. Sure they're cheesy as hell, but I'd be offended if they weren't. Plus they get the blood pumping and such. That being said some of them don't really fit the series despite being good songs in and of themselves (i.e, most of Shadow's themes).
Sonic's vocal tracks? Yeah, I like 'em. It Doesn't Matter is cheesy, but fits Sonic perfectly same with Tails, and Amy's themes. I even like Open Your Heart as the opening theme, but I think Crush 40 lost the cheesy edge as they went too far into "dark" rock. The only song that comes close after SA1 in SA2 is City Escape.

The raps were annoying but especially because instrumentally they were good songs. The lyrics just weren't needed.

Quote from: xXxFoGgLe=420xXx on April 20, 2012, 07:44:51 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 20, 2012, 07:36:37 PM
I didn't think SA's soundtrack was that good. No better than SA2's.
For me, SA's OST is far better than 2's. It has so many awesome funky songs.
The entirety of Sonic Adventure 2 consists of too serious cheesy rock (SA1's cheesy rock was fun), even worse rapping themes (ugh), and really bad R&B.

There is nothing in SA2 as varied as this:

Breezy
Hopeful
Cryptic
Fun
Whistful
Creepy

Also notice the variety of instruments.

I could go on, but there is more variety in Sonic Adventure 1's soundtrack than anything since. Sonic Adventure 2's music basically lingered in angst, gotta go fast, and genera rock. It's pretty boring in contrast to how wide SA1 was.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Yeah, I take back what I said. SA has the better music overall.

Rynnec

I get what they were trying to do with SA2's musical direction, giving everyone their own "genre" so to speak (Sonic got Rock, Shadow got "dark" rock, Knuckles got Rap, Tails got techno-sounding stuff, Eggman got kickass music) but I do agree that by doing so, it lost a lot of variety in the process by just sticking to one genre per character.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 20, 2012, 09:40:46 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 20, 2012, 07:38:54 PM

Sonic's vocal tracks? Yeah, I like 'em. It Doesn't Matter is cheesy, but fits Sonic perfectly same with Tails, and Amy's themes. I even like Open Your Heart as the opening theme, but I think Crush 40 lost the cheesy edge as they went too far into "dark" rock. The only song that comes close after SA1 in SA2 is City Escape.

The raps were annoying but especially because instrumentally they were good songs. The lyrics just weren't needed.

What's worse is that none of the official SA2 soundtrack's have any instrumentals for Knuckles' stage music, so no official instrumentals for those songs exist (at least to my knowledge). A shame too, Wild Canyon is honestly one of the best tracks in the game.

Foggle

I still love Open Your Heart and City Escape.

Going to be honest, I really enjoy Knuckles' level themes (in SA 2, at least). Yeah, the lyrics are bad and the rapping is cheesy, but it's still very fun music IMO.

The best tracks in Sonic Adventure are the snowboarding music and Final Egg 1, IMO.

Foggle

Listening to Meteor Herd right now, and I think it's actually a really good song, even (especially?) with the rapping. It's seriously great. I feel the same way about Aquatic Mine.

I feel you about Wild Canyon and Pumpkin Hill, though. They're still pretty good, but the rapping is too cheesy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm a couple of levels into the 2nd world/section of Yoshi's Island. The first 2 levels alone each took me about 20 minutes to complete since I'm really rusty at the game and I was trying to explore every inch of them to collect as many items as I could and to find as many secrets as there were. I got a 93% and a 97% completion rate on the first 2 stages of world 2, respectively. In stage 2-1 I missed a few red coins, and in stage 2 I missed exactly 3 stars.

I probably shouldn't have started playing this game today. I should have just waited until my finals were done. I told myself I'd only play a single level just to relive some fond memories and then put the game off until my exams ended, but just look at me now, I'm already addicted to the damn thing. :D

talonmalon333

Since we're now on the topic of Yoshi's Island (Which crushes any Sonic Adventure. :P), has anyone here ever played the DS sequel? I haven't, but I heard it's not as good.

If that's true, then it's understandable, as the original is hard to live up to. I replayed it as well a few months ago. Still awesome, and still has one of the best final boss battles... ever.

Foggle

I have not. I'd intended to buy a copy when it first came out, but roughly a year later I had completely forgotten it existed. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Rynnec

It's...alright. Doesn't hold a candle to the original. The bosses and music were forgettable, and they took out the Watermelon seed/bullets, but it was still enjoyablle. More fun than Yoshi's Story at least.

Spark Of Spirit

It's a good game.

Unfortunately, it's prequel is one of the best games ever made.

So it has kind of a bum rap.