What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got a bit further in Half-Life. Those special forces military enemies seem to soak up quite a bit of bullets before they go down. I think its faster to kill them by just landing head shots with a handgun than to use an automatic weapon on them like a machine gun or a power weapon like a shotgun. I have to say, though, that I'm impressed with the AI for the human enemies in this game. I mean, by today's standards its nothing special, sure enough, but I can imagine that for 1998 there was just nothing else like it. This is the oldest game that I've played that has enemies that are smart enough to hide behind obstacles while you're shooting at them and that will actively throw grenades at you to flush you out of cover spots. They aren't smart enough to flank you or pull off any sophisticated sort of maneuvers like in something like F.E.A.R. or Halo, but for a game from the 90's its pretty unrivaled in terms of enemy AI.

Spark Of Spirit

Been playing Ape Escape 3 on PS2. If you're looking for a fun and cheap 3D platformer, I totally recommend it.

I'm not sure why I never played 2 or 3 before, the original on the PS1 was great.

The soundtrack is really catchy like every other great platformer out there, as well!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 13, 2012, 10:14:33 PM
I got a bit further in Half-Life. Those special forces military enemies seem to soak up quite a bit of bullets before they go down. I think its faster to kill them by just landing head shots with a handgun than to use an automatic weapon on them like a machine gun or a power weapon like a shotgun. I have to say, though, that I'm impressed with the AI for the human enemies in this game. I mean, by today's standards its nothing special, sure enough, but I can imagine that for 1998 there was just nothing else like it. This is the oldest game that I've played that has enemies that are smart enough to hide behind obstacles while you're shooting at them and that will actively throw grenades at you to flush you out of cover spots. They aren't smart enough to flank you or pull off any sophisticated sort of maneuvers like in something like F.E.A.R. or Halo, but for a game from the 90's its pretty unrivaled in terms of enemy AI.
Yeah, they're a bit spongey, but not so much as to make them annoying to fight. Most of the soldier encounters are incredibly fun IMO. You gotta' go old-school on their asses; circle strafe and bunny hop with the assault rifle. Oh, and if you see a group of them together, fire off a grenade from the AR and watch them explode into gibs. Definitely a necessary tactic in later levels. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Ys Origin is $8 on Steam for today only!

If you don't have it yet now is your chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 14, 2012, 12:17:04 PM
Ys Origin is $8 on Steam for today only!

If you don't have it yet now is your chance.
Thanks, grabbing it now. ;) Can barely afford it, but I've gotta' get dat Ys!

Spark Of Spirit

Glad I could help! Ys deserves any and all support.

Still playing Ape Escape 3. That twist after you beat the last level was a pretty cool way to give more meat to the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've just gotten past those Xen alien tentacle things in Half-Life. The game does a really good job with pacing. There are a good variety of enemy types to fight, and rather than constant action things also get mixed up with puzzle solving and platforming. My only complaint is that the platforming in this game, even more so than its sequel, is pretty wonky at times. There are some annoying jumps in which you have to land at a pretty precise spot and have little to no room for screw-up, otherwise you basically fall to your death. Using ladders in this game can also be infuriating since sometimes Gordon gets stuck and I have to fidget around to get him to start moving up or down, and that can cause me to inadvertently fall to my death quite a lot of times. These sames problems happened to be in HL2, but less frequently, though that's not to say that it happens all that frequently in this game, either, but its  certainly more noticeable. Even so, the game allows you to save wherever you want so as long as I save before a platforming section then things usually turn out fine since I can just restart from right at that point rather than being sent back a long way to redo things.

gunswordfist

I finished Red Dead Redemption two weeks ago. I'm surprised at how long the game was but I'm not one to complain. It was like getting to play a few mini-sequels.

This game would be about as good as people praise it, if it weren't for the boring American missions at the beginning. I'm not talking about the Bonnie missions, those were fine and a good change of pace (and gelled with a later portion of the game), it's some of the dull missions where Marsten gets the run around by his misc. new "friends" that ruin things. I'm surprised John didn't just start opening fire when they kept on bullshitting him with side missions.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The soundtrack deserves kudos

I'm close to the real end of Ape Escape 3 now and I'm really enjoying myself. It's hard to imagine it's been almost 7 years since this game came out. I remember the original Ape Escape being pretty huge when it came out. Sony really dropped the ball on this series.

gunswordfist

Started Sonic Generations today. Had no clue the game had a hubworld. I like how you play through it. I'm up to the first boss gate with 0 challenges completed.

Spark Of Spirit

How are you liking it?

Green Hill was a bit linear and bland (though Classic was pretty cool), but Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary were pretty awesome, I thought.

gunswordfist

I'm liking Modern Sonic more than I thought I would so I have no complaints. Well except for the load times/how long the autosaves are. Only platformers on PS have loading for this long. :burn:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 15, 2012, 11:05:55 PM
I'm liking Modern Sonic more than I thought I would so I have no complaints. Well except for the load times/how long the autosaves are. Only platformers on PS have loading for this long. :burn:
Did you install it? I think it runs faster if installed, IIRC.

IMO, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, Seaside Hill Modern, and Chemical Plant Classic are the best stages.

gunswordfist

I didn't because it's on my brother's PS3.

Foggle

>2012
>not gaming exclusively on iOS

You're holding back the advancement of technology. Get with the times and buy Sonic CD for iPad instead! Phone and tablet touch screen-based games are the future!