What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, going back to the subject of games on Steam, I was wondering whether I would like the original Deus Ex? Steam has the GOTY edition on sale for $6, and being that Foggle and others praise it as one of the best games of all time, I was curious enough to check it out. Its a pretty old game and even my crappy rig can meet its system requirements from what I have checked, so I wonder if its worth me looking into it. Obviously I still have to beat Half-Life and its expansion packs first, but I'll probably be done with the game within a week (I'd already have beaten it except my studies and work at the pharmacy has gotten in the way for the time being).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2012, 09:10:00 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on July 18, 2012, 08:08:02 PM
:srs:

Why am I the only one that likes this game? Damn it guys, stop making me feel weird.  :frown:

Are you talking about the Genesis version or the Saturn version? I've actually heard that the Saturn version is notably better than the Genesis version, and some people really like it, but that the Genesis version suffers from a lot more problems. Ironically, though, I heard that the better Saturn version has a much weaker soundtrack, whereas the apparently inferior Genesis version does boast a pretty good sountrack itself. I haven't played the game, myself, so I can't comment on whether I think its any good or not.
Just based off of what I heard on youtube, you'd have to be fucking retarded to like the Genesis soundtrack better than Saturn's/
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

Why am I the only one that likes this game? Damn it guys, stop making me feel weird.  :frown:

Are you talking about the Genesis version or the Saturn version? I've actually heard that the Saturn version is notably better than the Genesis version, and some people really like it, but that the Genesis version suffers from a lot more problems. Ironically, though, I heard that the better Saturn version has a much weaker soundtrack, whereas the apparently inferior Genesis version does boast a pretty good sountrack itself. I haven't played the game, myself, so I can't comment on whether I think its any good or not.
Just based off of what I heard on youtube, you'd have to be fucking retarded to like the Genesis soundtrack better than Saturn's/
Well, I really like Green Grove Act 1, but find the rest of it rather forgettable. the Saturn one has Richard Jacques and more exciting looking special stages, so I'm probably rather want to play that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I feel like there was a conversation about this before, and that I missed it (go figure). But I'm just stopping by to ask, what console do you guys think had the best controller?

Foggle

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 18, 2012, 11:08:03 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

Well, I really like Green Grove Act 1, but find the rest of it rather forgettable. the Saturn one has Richard Jacques and more exciting looking special stages, so I'm probably rather want to play that one.
Funny enough. I'm still on the page for Saturn version's special stage music which I just listened to for the first time a minute ago and heard Jacques mentioned in the theme I listened to before that.

I remember liking probably the same Green Grove music you mentioned and the ice level in the Genesis soundtrack. It's not bad but not even nostalgia goggles could make me prefer it over Saturn's even though the only music I've heard from that before today was from a short youtube clip of the game.
Quote from: Foggle on July 18, 2012, 11:25:02 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2012, 09:06:06 PM
Am I the only Sonic Spinball fan?
I love it. 8)
Too bad I suck at the game. Is it hard for everyone else (which I'm guessing is the reason why it gets no love) or do I just suck at it?

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2012, 10:15:23 PM
So, going back to the subject of games on Steam, I was wondering whether I would like the original Deus Ex? Steam has the GOTY edition on sale for $6, and being that Foggle and others praise it as one of the best games of all time, I was curious enough to check it out. Its a pretty old game and even my crappy rig can meet its system requirements from what I have checked, so I wonder if its worth me looking into it. Obviously I still have to beat Half-Life and its expansion packs first, but I'll probably be done with the game within a week (I'd already have beaten it except my studies and work at the pharmacy has gotten in the way for the time being).
Can you handle a steep learning curve, occasionally wonky stealth, and shooting that's partially based on dice rolls? If yes, then you'll probably love DX and consider it a masterpiece. Be sure to quicksave often!

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 18, 2012, 11:13:42 PM
I feel like there was a conversation about this before, and that I missed it (go figure). But I'm just stopping by to ask, what console do you guys think had the best controller?
Gamecube. It's not so good for shooters, but I'd rather play those on PC anyway.

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 18, 2012, 11:28:26 PM
Too bad I suck at the game. Is it hard for everyone else (which I'm guessing is the reason why it gets no love) or do I just suck at it?
It's the hardest pinball game I've ever played.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on July 18, 2012, 11:30:23 PM
Can you handle a steep learning curve, occasionally wonky stealth, and shooting that's partially based on dice rolls? If yes, then you'll probably love DX and consider it a masterpiece. Be sure to quicksave often!

I don't mind a steep learning curve as long as there's a worthy pay-off for mastering the mechanics of the game (examples are deep hack n' slash games like NG, DMC3, and Bayonetta in terms of their combat systems). If its like that except with RPG elements and its FPS-based combat, then I'd be fine with the learning curve.

As for the quick-saving thing, I actually have a problem of quick-saving too often in games that allow it. :P

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2012, 11:36:29 PM
I don't mind a steep learning curve as long as there's a worthy pay-off for mastering the mechanics of the game (examples are deep hack n' slash games like NG, DMC3, and Bayonetta in terms of their combat systems). If its like that except with RPG elements and its FPS-based combat, then I'd be fine with the learning curve.
You're probably good to go then. It's not nearly as deep as a hack n slash or fighter, but it's just as satisfying. For completely different reasons, though. If you end up liking the game (or if you don't, but can appreciate what it's going for), then you should also pick up Deus Ex: Human Revolution (it's on Xbox 360)!

QuoteAs for the quick-saving thing, I actually have a problem of quick-saving too often in games that allow it. :P
You're an old-school PC gamer already!

gunswordfist

My favorites are the 360 controller for 3D games, PS2/3 (excluding that Sixaxis shit) for 2D.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My favorite controller for 2D games is the Sega Genesis 6-button controller. My favorite controller for 3D action and adventure games is the Sega Dreamcast controller, except for games that require dual analogue sticks, in which case I find the XBOX360 controller to be the most ideal, since its closest in design to the DC controller.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2012, 03:06:43 PMI find the XBOX360 controller to be the most ideal,

That one's my favorite in general.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought that you said you didn't like the XBOX360 controller. Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, though.

At any rate, I'd say its my controller of choice for console FPS and TPS games, and 3D action/adventure games in the vein of Ninja Gaiden, DMC, or Bayonetta. It works fine for 2D games, but I think my favorite for classic 8/16-bit games is still the 6-button Genesis controller, partly because that was my favorite controller growing up.

I do say that the Dreamcast controller is excellent, but it has one major weakness in that it only has 1 analogue stick, which kind of limits the types of games that you can play properly with it.

gunswordfist

That's reminds me, I hate how you can't control the camera in Sonic Generations.

360 would be my favorite for both 2D and 3D games if it weren't for that D-Pad that sucks so damn much. I heard there's a new (or newish) 360 controller with a good D-Pad. With the D-Pad as it is, I'd still prefer to play 8 directional aim shoot em ups on it because I think using an analog stick to shoot in those games is the best. I feel in love playing Smash TV like that.

Spark Of Spirit

About every controller has something that bugs me, I dunno. The Saturn controller is great for 2D games, but for 3D I haven't found the ideal one yet. The Wiimote is fun for third person games, but FPS is a little weird to get used to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton