What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I think DMC3 basically had the Doppelganger powerup. I'm starting to wish I played it more and used the Co-op people said it has.

And yeah, I try to always finish games even if the process is very painful. With Assassin's Creed, it  was probably the worst game I ever finished. I had to just stop playing Dark Void due to boredom and difficulty though. At least with AC, I had my reason of always trying to beat games in order since I have 2
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm now up to Surface Tension. The game has gotten a lot more action oriented again now that I have retrieved most of my weapons (I'm still missing my hand grenades, though). I think I can finally get get why Foggle was saying that this Half-Life was better than its sequel up until before Xen. Well, I thought it was about as good as it for the first half of the game, but something about how this one paces itself feels a lot more satisfying, now that I have played enough of it. As I have said numerous times before, Half-Life 2 is a game that had some incredible gameplay, but between a lot of the good parts were a few boring parts. The problem with those few boring parts is that they dragged on for quite a while, and I felt like HL2 wasn't a very evenly paced game, even though it was still a great package overall.

I feel like HL1 has really nailed the pacing down perfectly, at least so far. You have action packed levels followed by platforming and puzzle solving (usually they are in a combo with one another, like in the 2nd game). In this case neither element is ever overused or dragged out for too long. Its like, just when you feel like you've done enough of one element, the game reads your mind and throws something else your way. I feel as though Valve had spent so much time working on perfecting the physics and new vehicle segments for HL2 that they didn't put quite enough time into figuring out how to properly pace the game. Their effort still showed in the final product, but it didn't feel as tightly crafted as HL1 (once again, at least what I've played of it so far).

Also, I have to say that while there isn't a whole lot of variety to this game's soundtrack, the music that is there is pretty kick-ass. This theme in particular is just perfect for action segments and can easily get stuck in your head.

Foggle

Glad you're enjoying it! Sadly, you're nearing the end of the good stuff, but Surface Tension is easily one of my favorite chapters. And yeah, the music is seriously awesome.

Black Mesa is *apparently* nearing the end of its development cycle. Really can't wait to see their version of Xen.

EDIT: You bought the HL 1 complete pack, right? I think you'll really like Opposing Force; it's fantastic. Blue Shift and Decay (ported to PC as a mod) are pretty good too. Gearbox did a great job with the expansions. Also be sure to play Half-Life: Uplink, the original demo for the game. The level it contains was cut from the finished game for some reason, but it's excellent.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I got it with Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Team Fortress Classic (which I will probably never play, but it came with the package). As soon as I'm done with the main game I'll go onto playing Opposing Force, and then Blue Shift after that.

Foggle

Cool! :joy:

As I'm sure you're aware, one of the coolest things about PC games are mods! I personally recommend the following:

SteamLink - The easiest way to play Half-Life: Uplink on a modern system
Half-Life: Decay - A port of Decay from the PS2; this version is playable in single-player!
Point Of View - Play as a Vortigaunt during the Black Mesa Incident :o
Azure Sheep - An alternate version of Blue Shift since a lot of people didn't like that one much; far better than BS from what I can remember, the level design is awesome
Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut - Pretty spooky
Cry Of Fear - Also spooky
Paranoia - Fantastic military/horror shooter

There are more out there, but I'll need to refresh my memory on them first. :happytime:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn, now that's a list right there. Are they all free?

At any rate, I'll definitely get down to checking out some mods once I'm finished with the main package. ;)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 11, 2012, 10:55:54 AM

At any rate, I'll definitely get down to checking out some mods once I'm finished with the main package. ;)
You can't be this stupid.

Foggle

Be nice, gsf. >:(

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 11, 2012, 10:55:54 AM
Yep!

gunswordfist

I'll have to check with EK to see if being nice is free

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 11, 2012, 11:08:28 AM
You can't be this stupid.

This coming from the idiot who buys a broken XBOX and 2 broken games from Game Stop and never even bothered trying to return them. That is of course among the plethora of other stupid things you've spewed out on the video game board. You really don't make yourself look any smarter, here, so you might as well shut your face up, dick-wad. :>

gunswordfist

Dumbass. I bought only one scratched up game and got my Xbox repaired for free. This would come from the guy who thought DMC3 had a fixed camera even after playing the game yourself. ;D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 11, 2012, 01:31:49 PM
Dumbass. I bought only one scratched up game and got my Xbox repaired for free. This would come from the guy who thought DMC3 had a fixed camera even after playing the game yourself. ;D

You mean that camera you can barely rotate around (which doesn't even help at all) at a super slow rate? Yeah, I wasn't aware that counted as a free-style camera, dumb-fuck. :D

gunswordfist

Hey, they made the camera that way to cater to snail-brained people like you but it was too fast paced for you so you continue to ignore its existence. :>

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 11, 2012, 01:41:59 PM
Hey, they made the camera that way to cater to snail-brained people like you but it was too fast paced for you so you continue to ignore its existence. :>

I'm sorry, did you imply that DMC3 was fast-paced. Lets see....so, you consider hitting statues like this to be fast-paced gameplay?

If that's too fast for you, then its no wonder why you suck at Ninja Gaiden. :>

gunswordfist

I was referring to the CAMERA. I even used the word CAMERA in my sentence. I swear I'm just going to start talking to you with BRIGHT and YELLOW flashcards.