What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm currently about 30 minutes into Dead Space, and I really am enjoying this game again already. I love how it wastes little to no time in the beginning and just starts things off right away. I also have to credit this game for having really great sound design. While its not particularly that scary (no game can really "scare" me anymore like some used to when I was a kid), it has an effectively creepy atmosphere, and the great sound effects help add to the tension.

I really can't wait to get around to the sequel when I get a chance to pick that up (of course, I'm still only on chapter 1 of the 1st game, so it'll probably take me at least a few days to beat it since I play at a snails pace with most games these days, anyways).

Spark Of Spirit

I just played some S3&K from the beginning to the end, this time purposely taking my time ad exploring the levels. Damn these levels have a lot of cool like secrets and alternate paths, more than I realized even.

Definitely one of the best games ever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Dead Space can get kind of monotonous at times, but it's definitely a great game. The sound design is absolutely brilliant.

I think the sequel is a lot better, though. Unfortunately, it's also shorter.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, to be fair, a lot of other horror games suffer from many of the same problems that Dead Space does, to the point that I have kind of gotten used to it within this genre, so I can't really hold it against Dead Space in particular. I mean, it does get awfully predictable by the 3rd chapter, for the most part, and its very formulaic pacing becomes obvious by that point as well, but the same could be said about other great games which I still love, such as F.E.A.R. and Alan Wake.

gunswordfist

I beat Mafia II on Saturday. What a fucked up ending. I'm trying to continue to try and beat Dark Void next. Phew.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Man, the first third of Dark Void is a pretty good game. Lots of cool set pieces, platforming, and fun combat situations. Once you get the jetpack, it gets so boring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2011, 01:40:41 PM
Well, to be fair, a lot of other horror games suffer from many of the same problems that Dead Space does, to the point that I have kind of gotten used to it within this genre, so I can't really hold it against Dead Space in particular. I mean, it does get awfully predictable by the 3rd chapter, for the most part, and its very formulaic pacing becomes obvious by that point as well, but the same could be said about other great games which I still love, such as F.E.A.R. and Alan Wake.
I don't know, I've never gotten bored of the shooting in F.E.A.R. The same can't be said for the shooting in Dead Space. :sweat:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on May 12, 2011, 12:49:56 AM
Man, the first third of Dark Void is a pretty good game. Lots of cool set pieces, platforming, and fun combat situations. Once you get the jetpack, it gets so boring.
Yeah, I can't say I enjoy the jet pack sequences. Trying to kill UFOs that move so fast is annoying. I just hijack them all. I do like having a cover shooter with a jump button (man, can he jump high) though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 12, 2011, 06:22:46 AM
I don't know, I've never gotten bored of the shooting in F.E.A.R. The same can't be said for the shooting in Dead Space. :sweat:

I disagree. With Dead Space you have a bunch of non-conventional weapons to switch between, so really there isn't any reason to get bored unless you purposely stick to the same one because you're used to it. For instance, after I got bored of using the plasma cutter I experimented with different weapons to see which ones worked best in certain situations, and while the game isn't really difficult at all and you could probably just use the plasma cutter through the whole game, its more fun to experiment with the different weapons and their alternate modes of fire. In F.E.A.R. it has more to do with the enemy AI that keeps in interesting. Looking at the guns, they are all conventional weapons that you've seen in every other FPS game ever made. So with that game its more about using strategy in terms of finding cover in your environment and using grenades wisely as well as using your slow-mo ability.

Of course, I'm only about a quarter of the way through Dead Space (I think their are 12 chapters, and I'm currently in the middle of chapter 4) so maybe it'll get boring later or something, but I don't really feel like I'm close to tired of the game yet. I haven't even tried out more than 3 weapons since I'm also upgrading the ones that I have which adds a little extra incentive to keep using them.

Foggle

I actually beat the entire game using only the Plasma Cutter. :lol: I did try out the other guns, too, and while they were admittedly cool to screw around with, using them throughout the entire game didn't seem all that practical to me.

My comment was referring to the later levels, btw. After the halfway point, the game just starts throwing tons of enemies at you over and over with little variety in the level design. It does pick up again near the end, though.

Foggle

So I ordered Tekken 6 from Amazon.com after getting hit by a total nostalgia bomb a few days ago. As many of you are aware, I'm not really big on fighting games, but this series holds a special place in my heart. A couple rounds of Tag Tournament between laser tag matches was damn near sexually stimulating and I played 3 more than all the other PlayStation games I had (not very many, admittedly) combined. Sometimes I really miss elementary school...

This will be the first time I've touched the series since the shit-pile known as Death By Degrees tried its hardest to give me cancer back in '05. Hopefully I can still spam Yoshimitsu's sword uppercut and win. :lol:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I kind of got bored with Tekken after the 3rd game, since every game after it pretty much felt like a complete rehash of the same exact thing. Then again, the same thing can be said for Soul Calibur ever since the 2nd game, though I still did enjoy IV since it had been so long since I had last touched the series ever since I tried III, which was by far the weakest game in the entire series.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2011, 12:07:25 AM
I kind of got bored with Tekken after the 3rd game, since every game after it pretty much felt like a complete rehash of the same exact thing. Then again, the same thing can be said for Soul Calibur ever since the 2nd game, though I still did enjoy IV since it had been so long since I had last touched the series ever since I tried III, which was by far the weakest game in the entire series.
I'm not sure if I'm bored of Tekken, since it's been so long since I've played it!

All I know is that Death By Degrees would have fit pretty snugly into Action 52 on the NES...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just played the Moon Diver demo. It was a ton of fun, but it really would have been way better if I had other people to play it with, since it seems pretty much designed with co-op in mind. Man, I wish I still had XBOX Live Gold. It would be a blast to play this game with friends.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 25, 2011, 02:26:05 PM
I just played the Moon Diver demo. It was a ton of fun, but it really would have been way better if I had other people to play it with, since it seems pretty much designed with co-op in mind. Man, I wish I still had XBOX Live Gold. It would be a blast to play this game with friends.
Smart man. I love the hell out of that demo. Fun as hell. Couldn't get past the boss until I died on it the last time I lost to it an saw after fucking simple it was when it just kept repeating its animation after the Game Over. You'd THINK he'd shoot on the top half of the screen but he never does.