What are you currently playing? 4.0

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

And I love Half-Life 2 so you'd I'd like the levels in this but I just wasn't feeling it.

Sorry, Duke.

Foggle

I don't think it's wrong to dislike or even hate the game, I just feel like the reviewers were being really unfair. It's far from being as bad as something like Iron Man 2: The Game or Death By Degrees, but many people said it was worse.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played the XBOX360 demo for DNF and I didn't feel the same way that Eddy and Daxdiv did. I didn't have any problems with the aiming (I play a lot of FPS games, and I've played ones with far worse aiming mechanics), and I hardly got that frustrated. It did feel like a very modern shooter, though, and kind of standard at that. You had to take cover to regenerate your Ego (shield) ala Halo and aside from the shrink-ray all of the other weapons were conventional stuff. That said, what I played was hardly atrocious. It wasn't very good, but it didn't really piss me off either. I had decent fun with it. Keep in mind that I had never played a Duke Nukem game before this, so I went into this without any previous biases.

Foggle

Beat Shadows of the Damned. Aside from the final boss fights and the Big Boner level being extremely frustrating at times (due to my own suckage probably), I really enjoyed it all the way through. :joy:

gunswordfist

I finally beat that damn turret part on Bayonetta. So annoying. I had to concoct all the healing items I could.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

ToonFaithful

Playing Left 4 Dead 2 on Xbox 360. Already finished campaign, now I'm just playing rounds of survival. I did good on one round and then a charger comes out of nowhere and drifts me into the water.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm starting on Bayonetta, and despite the insanely cracked out story (I've already given up figuring out what's going on), combat is pretty damn satisfying.

And before you ask, no I'm not playing on "I suck at action games mode", even though I'm pretty bad at 3D hack and slash games.

Just think, this could have been Devil May Cry 2... Or 3... or 4. If Capcom had a brain.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 19, 2011, 05:37:27 PM
I'm starting on Bayonetta, and despite the insanely cracked out story (I've already given up figuring out what's going on), combat is pretty damn satisfying.

And before you ask, no I'm not playing on "I suck at action games mode", even though I'm pretty bad at 3D hack and slash games.

Just think, this could have been Devil May Cry 2... Or 3... or 4. If Capcom had a brain.
Fck, I am going to have to beat you to the end. Feel free to avoid my posts because I post spoilers

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Have you played DMC3? I've played a lot of both DMC3 and Bayonetta. Bayonetta is an overall better game, but it basically just takes the DMC formula and perfects it, not reinvents it (and for the record if Bayonetta was a 10/10, DMC3 would be at least an 8 in comparison, so its not like its far behind). I know Kamiya is great and all, but really DMC3 is honestly a lot more fun and advanced than the first game. People kind of overrate it when it hasn't aged as well as later hack n' slash games, in all honesty.

I know you hate Capcom now, but I really disagree with your opinion on the later DMC games except for 2. The 3rd game is a HUGE step forward for the series in the combat department. It totally went above and beyond what Kamiya did with DMC1's combat, and since these types of games are primarily about the combat, I certainly can't fault it for that.

DMC4 was a step back for the series again, but once again Dante's combat is exceptional and Nero is at least above average (though inevitably underwhelming compared to Dante, since Capcom got lazy with his combat and only gave him 1 weapon to use throughout the whole game).

Still, as much as I love Bayonetta its not the evolution of the franchise that Kamiya claimed. Its just a perfection of the formula he created with DMC, which itself was refined in DMC3 quite a bit.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2011, 08:56:01 PM

Have you played DMC3? I've played a lot of both DMC3 and Bayonetta. Bayonetta is an overall better game, but it basically just takes the DMC formula and perfects it, not reinvents it (and for the record if Bayonetta was a 10/10, DMC3 would be at least an 8 in comparison, so its not like its far behind). I know Kamiya is great and all, but really DMC3 is honestly a lot more fun and advanced than the first game. People kind of overrate it when it hasn't aged as well as later hack n' slash games, in all honesty.

I know you hate Capcom now, but I really disagree with your opinion on the later DMC games except for 2. The 3rd game is a HUGE step forward for the series in the combat department. It totally went above and beyond what Kamiya did with DMC1's combat, and since these types of games are primarily about the combat, I certainly can't fault it for that.

DMC4 was a step back for the series again, but once again Dante's combat is exceptional and Nero is at least above average (though inevitably underwhelming compared to Dante, since Capcom got lazy with his combat and only gave him 1 weapon to use throughout the whole game).

Still, as much as I love Bayonetta its not the evolution of the franchise that Kamiya claimed. Its just a perfection of the formula he created with DMC, which itself was refined in DMC3 quite a bit.
I like the first better than any of the other ones but they are definitely worth playing

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't mean that they were garbage games (except for 2), just that what would have happened had they actually let Kamiya work on a sequel to Devil May Cry how awesome it would have been.

Bayonetta might have been even better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Really not crazy about this one at all; the Superstar Saga-esque humor is there, but the gameplay is a major step down, IMO (the whole baby/time travel angle just feels like an unnecessarily tacked-on gimmick). But... as it turns out, this is one of many a game that I haven't finished yet. Sooooo... time to fix that.

I made it as far Thwomp Volcano the first time around, so it looks like I'm about half-way done, or a little over that. I'd like to have this finished by the end of the month; we'll see, I guess.

Spark Of Spirit

IMO, worst Mario RPG by far.

It's just so lifeless and dull. The battle system is overcomplicated. Item abuse breaks the game. It's so boxed in and overly linear (literal corridors block you in all the time). The final boss is horribly boring and monotonous to a fault (three forms all taking half an hour to beat? Joy.))... The whole game just doesn't stack up.

Mario & Luigi 3 improves on everything by leaps and bounds, and is by far the best, funniest, and most interesting Mario RPG.

Kiddington

That's... pretty much how I feel about it (I still thought the humor was pretty good, though; I'm playing through it again, and it does make me laugh at times). Although, I obviously had no idea the final boss was that bad, seeing as how I haven't made it that far in the game yet.  :shit:

I've already beaten Mario and Luigi 3; got it for my birthday back in February, and beat it about a month later. Once I started playing it, I couldn't put it down; that one truly is a great game.

Spark Of Spirit

M&L had a tradition of overly long final bosses. 3 thankfully fixed it by having a bunch of boss fights in a row near the end, making it less of a chore. But I still haven't beaten the original game because that final boss took too long. I don't even know why I slogged through the second game's final boss. I guess I just didn't want to have an excuse to ever replay it.