Favorite Looney Tunes Characters

Started by Avaitor, February 05, 2011, 12:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I was going to ask this in the favorite shorts thread, but I thought the Looneys deserved another thread, and I don't feel like doubling posting right now.

But yeah, out of all the cast of Looneys, which ones are your personal favorites? And do you have any favorite pairings?

I don't think it's a secret that Daffy is my fav. If you think it is, you're dethpicable.

Speedy aside, I tend to like him paired with just about everyone. I love him when Bugs when it's all fair and Bugs plays the straight act to Daffy's insanity rather than fueling the flame himself, I love his Elmer Fudd run-ins, and I like the few times he dealt with Yosemite Sam and Marvin. I think I prefer his relationship with Porky though since it contains the calm over crazy elements that made Bugs and Daffy so endearing, but Porky typically remains even cooler, and has a dry sense of humor which he keeps that makes his relationship with Daffy a little funnier than his with Bugs to me.

Of course I love Bugs next. Again, I enjoy a lot of his cartoons with Daffy, but I couldn't begin to think of whether I prefer Elmer or Sam as his rival. Sam was initially made by Friz Freleng as an enemy for Bugs that was sharper than Elmer, who he got tired of messing with. That worked for a while, but eventually Bugs outsmarted Sam about as easily as he could with Elmer, but Sam's temper is what made the two stand out at that point. Marvin was fun when he was around as well, and there were some entertaining one or two-shot characters he faced as well.

I also have a soft spot for Sylvester. Of course there are plenty of good shorts with him and Tweety, but he works well with a lot of other characters, like Porky, Elmer, Speedy Gonzales, and Foghorn Leghorn. I usually try to recommend cartoons of his without Tweety to remind people that they exist.

What about you guys?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly don't think that you can do much better than Daffy. To me, he was the most dynamic of the Looney Tunes characters, and when you stop to think about it he got to interact with more of the main Looney Tunes characters than most of the other main Looney Tunes characters did (in regards to interacting with other respective LT characters). Their was an absolutely brilliant flair between him and Bugs, though, and as cliche as it may sound, the episodes that crossed over Bugs and Daffy were by far some of my most favorite and memorable LT episodes. Of course, it also helps that Bugs is my 2nd favorite LT character. Its easy to see why both characters are the most popular LT characters for a reason. For once I agree with the mass majority of people on something.

If I had to pick another favorite LT character besides those obvious 2 choices, then I'd probably end up having to go with Yosemite Same or Wile E. Coyote. For some reason I was always more interested in the LT "villains" rather than most of the more positively-displayed characters, like Road Runner, Speedy, and Tweety (just to name a few).

Commode

Of course I like both Bugs and Daffy, but it's always kind of hard to say which is my favorite.  Daffy has the benefit of having several personalities, thanks to each director putting their own spin on the character, and Bugs was always so cool and laid back.  He had some screwball moments early on, with Avery and Clampett's direction, but after the mid-40s he was just a victim who often times happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  He didn't freak out or anything though, instead he used his wits against his enemies lack of them.

With that said, aside from those two obvious picks, my favorite has always been Foghorn Leghorn.  If anything, he was the opposite of Bugs: loudmouthed, brash, and thinking he knew the solution to everything when he didn't, in other words full of himself.  But he made for a great character, and his quarrels with the barnyard dog was some great comedy.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Sylvester, for sure. I've always loved his shorts the best, with or without Tweety.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Foghorn is another favorite. A lot more talkative than the usual LT characters, but that's part of his charm.

Oh, how was his recent DVD? I'm still on the fence about getting that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I thought it was alright.  It was a bit disappointing to see that like half of the disc weren't Foghorn shorts, when they easily could have made it so.  I'm not sure it's fully worth the 20 bucks, but whatever.

Avaitor

I think I'll wait for it to go down in price, if it does.

I'm still skeptical about the new releases, at least the Bugs, Daffy, and Foghorns. I have no interest in the Sylvester & Tweety or Road Runner ones.

New blog!

Commode

Yeah, I'm not buying anymore Looney Tunes DVDs for now.  I skipped the Bugs and Daffy ones, and only got the Foghorn one because of how much I like him.  But if Warner Home Video is gonna keep fucking us the way they've been doing, then I see no reason to give them any more money.

Avaitor

So basically we're getting very few Jones Road Runner cartoons (if any, too lazy to check) and we're getting mostly Larriva and TV shorts, as well as the new CGI ones.

Talk about a dud, and a disappoint. There's plenty of good Jones-made Road Runner cartoons unreleased.

New blog!

Hime

Well, my favorite Looney Tunes character would be:

Bugs Bunny- Since he's quite cute and fluffy, he always have tricks to get on the villain :sly:

Daffy Duck- Erm, he's quite rough in a few times but always makes weird entrances and jokes.

Road Runner- Hilarity never stops when he keeps on running away from Coyote.

LumRanmaYasha

Today is Bugs Bunny's 75th anniversary! Who else is gonna celebrate by watching some classic Bugs shorts tonight?

Avaitor

You beat me before I could post this.

But I'll have a little marathon tonight. I do wish that CN was doing something, though.

New blog!

Commode

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I treated myself to watching a trifecta of some of Bugs' best shorts tonight- my avatar's basis, along with "Rabbit of Seville" and "What's Opera, Doc?". All classics.

But again, I do wish that CN or even Boomerang was showing some of these themselves today, besides their standard Looney Tunes blocks.

New blog!