The Pokemon Topic

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

To be honest, I didn't even beat Ruby & Sapphire or Diamond & Pearl. They just weren't doing anything for me.

I also didn't play the remakes of the first two gens. Should I play 'em?

Spark Of Spirit

I played Red/Blue, then Gold/Silver then I came back with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. You can see many of the improvements the series has had over the years, and it even made me want to jump into B&W... But with B&W2 coming, I dunno about that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I still got White, even with B&W2 coming out I thought I should play the original first, since this is the first instance of a Generation getting a "true" sequel.

Kiddington

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 25, 2012, 12:41:12 AM
I also didn't play the remakes of the first two gens. Should I play 'em?

I can't vouch for HeartGold/SoulSilver (don't have those yet; still slowly working on Platinum atm), but as far as FireRed/LeafGreen are concerned... if you liked the Red/Blue/Yellow originals, I'd definitely give those a look.

They're basically the exact same game (with a few new bits sprinkled in and out; the VS Seeker, in particular, was the best early-game thing they came up with), up until you beat the Elite 4. After that, a whole new post-game sidequest is unlocked (the Sevii Islands), and I found it to be quite fun and interesting.

So yes, play them.

gunswordfist

Enneresting about the post game. Stupid question: What is VS Seeker? Also, can gym leaders be rematched?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 25, 2012, 03:03:41 AM
Enneresting about the post game. Stupid question: What is VS Seeker? Also, can gym leaders be rematched?

The VS Seeker is a device that allows you to rematch any trainer you want, at any time (provided that they're not located in a cave, Gym, or other dungeon; so basically, any trainer on any outside route is fair game). It's probably the best tool they've ever come with for training Pokemon, since as we all know, trainer battles give out far more EXP than fighting wild Pokemon.

No, you cannot have rematches with Gym Leaders in FR/LG. They can be rematched in Emerald, though (after you beat the Elite 4).

Nel_Annette

The VS. Seeker is better than the stupid phone call system that shows up from time to time, anyway. Anyway, I recommend the HG/SS remakes. Very fun. The additions are actually pretty awesome.

And I am up waaay too late to make a good argument to get them.  :P But they are really good as far as the remakes go. They even have an item that switches all (well, most) of the bgm over to its original Gameboy music.

Kiddington

I enjoyed the phone system in G/S/C a lot more than I did in Emerald. Of course, that could just be the nostalgia talking (and the fact that the VS Seeker didn't yet exist at that point, so I wasn't accustomed to using that as a method of training).

Commode

HG/SS are probably my favorite versions, there's so much content in them.  I like the idea of being able to visit two regions in the same game, although I do wish the wild Pokemon in Kanto were at stronger levels.  There's no point in beating the Johto side of the game, then going over to Viridian Forest and catching a level 3 Pikachu.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

It's things like that that make me wish that you had the ability to rechallenge entire gyms, and then have the option to either fight the gym with their original levels or their upgraded post-Elite 4 levels. That way, all your Pokemon could go through them to have a steady growth.

Commode

In HG/SS you have the ability to rebattle all 16 gym leaders, but not the trainers inside the gym.  All of them are at higher levels.  Also, you can rebattle the Elite Four twice per each region, for a total of four battles.  I think it'd be kind of cool to have a rebattle with Red as well.

Nel_Annette

Of course, the way to actually get those leader rematches is kind of a bitch. XD I mean, it's nice seeing them outside, but I shouldn't have to plan schedule's and shit just to get a rematch. I still haven't gotten Blue's number.

gunswordfist

^^^Blue? He's supposed to be a different character than Red?

Commode

Blue is your rival from Red/Blue/Yellow/Firered/Leafgreen, while Red is your character from the same games.  Roughly, Blue is Gary Oak, and Red is Ash.  In Gold/Silver/Crystal/HG/SS you play as a new character named Ethan, and near the end of the game you encounter Blue on Cinnabar Island, who then leaves and takes Giovanni's place at Viridian Gym.  After you beat all sixteen gyms and both Elite Fours Professor Elm tells you to go to Mt. Silver and find Red, who has a team similar to the one Ash had in the Orange Islands(except he has Venusaur and Blastoise, while in the anime they never got past Bulbasaur and Squirtle), including a high level Pikachu(in HG/SS he's a lvl. 88, the highest leveled Pokemon you encounter in any of the games).

gunswordfist

Shit, I have no recollection of Gary Oak being called Blue.  :whuh: Probably because I just remember naming him in the original games. I remember kicking the shit out of Pikachu. So damn easy. I don't care what level you are, you're still just a yellow bus riding rat to me.

So who here has fought Giovanni in one of the post Silver/Gold games? I forget what game it was and some of the circumstances. I just remember reading on wiki that you go back in time and fight him on some island, if that's accurate.