The Pokemon Topic

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 27, 2010, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

Gary wasn't called Blue, he was loosely based off Blue.  The anime is based off the game, not the other way around(except for Yellow).

And yeah, you can fight Giovanni in HG/SS, but you need a Celebi, which you can only obtain through some sort of Nintendo event.  Giving that the games are more than two years old at this point, I don't think Nintendo is still doing that event, so there is no way for you to do this anymore, unless you GameShark/Action Replay the game.

I hate that tactic btw, what's the point of event Pokemon?  If you miss that window where Nintendo offers them, you don't have another chance to get one.  I know Mew and Celebi are mystical and shit, but I think there should be other options for obtaining them.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

Blah, close enough about Gary Oak. :sly:

Thank God my overachieving Pokemon maniac friend that was somehow kind of cool gave me Mew. It made some kid who overwrote my original file worth it. 151 FTW.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on May 30, 2012, 05:56:34 AM
I hate that tactic btw, what's the point of event Pokemon?  If you miss that window where Nintendo offers them, you don't have another chance to get one.  I know Mew and Celebi are mystical and shit, but I think there should be other options for obtaining them.

It's pretty much made the concept of "catching them all" absolutely impossible over the years. It was pretty easy to pull off in R/B/Y (thanks to the Mew glitch), and not overly hard in G/S/C either (not counting Celebi, obviously)... but once Gen 3 rolled around, they took the concept of event Pokemon to new ungodly heights. It wasn't just Mew and Celebi in that case, either; you had Lugia, Ho-oh, Deoxys, Jirachi...

I've never even understood the concept of it, really. If it's a marketing gimmick, what exactly is it marketing for anyway? I've never been to one of these Pokemon giveaways, so I don't know. Do you have to pay to get in or something? I guess that would explain it from a business standpoint, but it's still annoying for anyone who actually wants these Pokemon years down the line.

Rynnec

Quote from: Kiddington on May 30, 2012, 08:22:55 PM
Quote from: Comeau on May 30, 2012, 05:56:34 AM

It's pretty much made the concept of "catching them all" absolutely impossible over the years. It was pretty easy to pull off in R/B/Y (thanks to the Mew glitch), and not overly hard in G/S/C either (not counting Celebi, obviously)... but once Gen 3 rolled around, they took the concept of event Pokemon to new ungodly heights. It wasn't just Mew and Celebi in that case, either; you had Lugia, Ho-oh, Deoxys, Jirachi...

I've never even understood the concept of it, really. If it's a marketing gimmick, what exactly is it marketing for anyway? I've never been to one of these Pokemon giveaways, so I don't know. Do you have to pay to get in or something? I guess that would explain it from a business standpoint, but it's still annoying for anyone who actually wants these Pokemon years down the line.

This wouldn't be half as bad if they'd provide other (official) means to catch the event Pokemon, but they don't.

I'll never get my Darkrai. :(

Daxdiv

I remember when I hoarded event Pokemon. I got a good number of Celebi, Shiny Dogs, Jirachi, and Arceus on my Plat. Twas fun, even had a trading buddy on Bulbagarden that got me any shiny I wanted and seemed legit due to an exlpoit  with the RNG.

gunswordfist

Lugia and Ho-oh are event Pokemon? ???

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 31, 2012, 12:42:31 AM

Only for Gen 3, I think.

Daxdiv

The easiest way to getting Lugia and Ho-Oh in Generation 3 was to own the GCN games. But yeah there were events that Nintendo held where they gave out items that could give you access to certain Pokemon. here's a nice list of all the event Pokemon and ways they were obtained.

I'm just glad that the methods we have now, going to a store to get them, is a lot better than just happening to travel to a Nintendo event, which is just held in one area.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on May 31, 2012, 12:46:55 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 31, 2012, 12:42:31 AM

Only for Gen 3, I think.
Oh, because I remember getting Lugia and Ho-oh being really easy in Silver/Gold. There's no way to link up to get Pokemon from Gen 1 and 2 to 3 and beyond? I think I heard that.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Daxdiv on May 31, 2012, 01:17:50 AM
The easiest way to getting Lugia and Ho-Oh in Generation 3 was to own the GCN games. But yeah there were events that Nintendo held where they gave out items that could give you access to certain Pokemon. here's a nice list of all the event Pokemon and ways they were obtained.

I'm just glad that the methods we have now, going to a store to get them, is a lot better than just happening to travel to a Nintendo event, which is just held in one area.

Hell, nowadays you can just Mystery Gift from the comfort of home for some of them at certain dates and time frames. Very much prefer that.

Commode

Anyone picking up Black and White 2?  I have a slight interest in them, but given that I got bored with the first games rather quickly I don't know if I should bother checking these out.

Dr. Insomniac

If I had more free time that hasn't been already devoured by watching DVDs, I'd buy them. With the Pokedex being twice as big, and the stuff apparently being much different in comparison to the originals, I'm sure it'll be an improvement.

Nel_Annette

I'm on a budget, but that Genesect is a big incentive. >_>

Commode

http://features.peta.org/Pokemon-black-and-white-parody/?utm_campaign=1012+Pokemon+Parody+Game+Facebook+Promo

They've really been hammering Nintendo this last year or two, haven't they?  Remember the Tanooki suit thing after the release of SM3DL?

Dr. Insomniac

I don't even know what PETA's message is. People who play Pokemon aren't being subliminally convinced to harm animals in real life. Really, it just feels like a bad attempt to claw its way back into relevance after over a decade of being treated as a bad joke.