Is it time for Adult Swim to change?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 19, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

ACME Night would be the perfect chance to air the original shorts again on CN as well, doesn't even have to be in blocks just put one or two in between whatever movies.  With a late slot too they could air uncut versions, or hell even other shorts like Popeyes and Tex Avery MGMs.  Tons of the original cartoons are being restored for METV and HBO Max, good opportunity to grab some of those.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

>The final episode of Family Guy to air on AS is the one where Stewie gets pregnant with Brian's babies

What a fitting end to an era.

Avaitor

I don't really care about Family Guy anymore, but it is a little weird to see it leave [as]. The show basically saved the block from extinction, and helped to make it more successful than CN. If FG and Futurama didn't bring more butts in seats than their weird stoner shows did, we likely wouldn't have Venture Brothers, Boondocks, Eric Andre, Rick and Morty or Joe Pera.

But nothing lasts forever, and [as] really needs to step their game up. Making more crowd pleasers like R&M and Eric Andre will help. But they'll probably need to push their hours back a little... or maybe integrate some more CN shows? They tried Adventure Time a year or so ago, and Samurai Jack comes and goes. Maybe a nostalgia block as a gap between regular CN and [as] could work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I do wonder if Adult Swim ramping up production on certain shows is because of them losing Family Guy. I mean, Rick & Morty got a 70 episode order while previous seasons were always on the fence & since RM is like the popular ongoing original, I guess I can see why they want that to be the FG replacement. Then there's the fact that they rescued Tuca & Bertie from Netflix. Along with hearing about Smiling Friends being picked up as a series does have me interested.

For an interesting look, this is what the first weekday line up will look like after FG leaves For the lazy it's:

8:00 - Joe Pera Talks With You
9:00 - Bob's Burgers
10:00 - American Dad
11:30 - Rick and Morty
12:00 - Robot Chicken (new)
12:15 - Robot Chicken
12:30 - Aqua TV Show Show
1:00 - The Venture Bros.
1:30 - Bob's Burgers (repeat)
2:30 - Rick and Morty (repeat)
3:00 - Aqua TV Show Show (repeat)
3:30 - The Venture Bros. (repeat)
4:00 - Tender Touches
4:30 - Robot Chicken (repeat)
5:00 - Naruto Shippuden
5:30 - Samurai Jack

Avaitor

I LOVE Joe Pera, but there's only about a week's worth of episodes if they air it for an hour. This has to be temporary.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if around October is when CN gets the 8 PM Hour back and that Joe Pera is acting more as a filler. Especially since I was unaware of how much time Cartoonito is gonna eat up for CN (6AM-2PM) . Now the real question remains, will regular CN retain the 8 PM Hour after the holidays, or will AS find something else to air in it's place?

Avaitor

So next week, the Acme block is going to air an episode of Family Matters after an airing of Shazam!

... Why, though? I get that they're going to air the Urkel Christmas special later this year, but this is such a weird and ultimately pointless way to use that half hour.

Why not air something else that could be good for families? Something actually animated and slightly less common on TV. We're at the age where today's parents would have grown up with Cartoon Network's first wave of originals, so why not put on one of those instead? Or... what about the cartoons they got the name of the block for?

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Family Matters is a weird show for CN to air, but it's time-filler and meant to reintroduce kids to Urkel ahead of the Christmas special so it makes sense to me. I wouldn't want them to start airing it regularly on CN just on principle, though I wouldn't be surprised if they try adding it to [as] at some point.

Daikun

Family Guy's run has officially ended, and AS made a farewell bumper for the show.

https://twitter.com/FamGuyFunny/status/1439432286114508802

Peanutbutter

End of an era. One could argue it was FG's run on [as] that propelled its DVD fueled comeback when it was canceled in 2003.

Avaitor

Apparently, 20th Television started commissioning a fourth season before Fox ordered it, after the show became a hit on [as]. If Fox didn't express interest in bringing the show back, it could have very well gone to [as] instead, which would have been very interesting to see.

And that's a classy bumper. I was honestly surprised that it happened, as between the lack of fanfare from [as] prior to these last airings and their lack of acknowledgment of the block's 20th anniversary makes me think that they don't like celebrating or recognizing this stuff.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on September 19, 2021, 01:27:22 PMAnd that's a classy bumper. I was honestly surprised that it happened, as between the lack of fanfare from [as] prior to these last airings and their lack of acknowledgment of the block's 20th anniversary makes me think that they don't like celebrating or recognizing this stuff.

I think AS only does that when the show is important to them.

When Futurama's rights were expiring, they dedicated an entire week to airing every episode. When KOTH and The Cleveland Show left, they didn't do shit.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daikun on September 19, 2021, 02:02:03 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 19, 2021, 01:27:22 PMAnd that's a classy bumper. I was honestly surprised that it happened, as between the lack of fanfare from [as] prior to these last airings and their lack of acknowledgment of the block's 20th anniversary makes me think that they don't like celebrating or recognizing this stuff.

I think AS only does that when the show is important to them.

When Futurama's rights were expiring, they dedicated an entire week to airing every episode. When KOTH and The Cleveland Show left, they didn't do shit.
Valid. But what about Bebop? They're losing the rights to it, if they haven't already, and they didn't do a thing for it either.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

They've let their rights to Bebop lapse before, back in the fall of 2013, and didn't renew them until a few months later in the Spring of 2014, and unlike the FOX shows they could conceivably get the rights to Bebop back in the future if they really want to, so I suppose they didn't feel like losing it again needed to be acknowledged.

[adult swim] has never really done much for their anniversaries outside of the 10th where they had a few bumps highlighting the most notable shows they've aired, and the 16th where they had a big History of [as] event where they spotlighted all their originals over the course of a few weeks. For the 20th they only acknowledged that they might've ran some old promos if they hadn't lost the tapes for them and had to rip one off of Youtube instead.

I thought the Family Guy farewell bump was very sweet, and a nice surprise since yeah, they didn't do anything for KOTH or The Cleveland Show even though those shows ran on the network way longer than Futurama. KOTH ran on the network for nearly a decade! But they can only air a strict amount of the FOX shows every week so marathons were out of the question, and it feels like programming is generally on auto-pilot except for occasional surprises like scheduling an hour of Pigeon-focused Mike Tyson Mysteries episodes for two nights following Norm MacDonald's passing, so I can understand that not every show they lose can get a big sendoff even if it would be nice.