My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Nameless on June 05, 2014, 11:45:54 PMI don't think I'll ever stop being annoyed at the animated ponies some people put on their Tumblrs.

Then don't go to their Tumblrs.

Pharass

Just finished the fourth season. All in all, I have to say that it was definitely an improvement over season 3, which I personally found to be quite lackluster most of the time (that bully episode is probably my least favorite episode of the show). The season finale was very good with Tirek being by far the most genuinely evil and menacing villain the series has ever had. In a way he reminded me of Vaatu, in the sense that both had a certain 'final boss'-vibe to them. I know that a fifth season has been announced, but frankly, after Tirek, I'd be happy if season 5 didn't have a big bad or at least if the hypothetical big bad was something different than another ancient evil from Equestria's past (I guess they could bring back the Changelings, but they already did that in the comics).

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Pharass on June 14, 2014, 12:58:35 PM
Just finished the fourth season. All in all, I have to say that it was definitely an improvement over season 3, which I personally found to be quite lackluster most of the time (that bully episode is probably my least favorite episode of the show). The season finale was very good with Tirek being by far the most genuinely evil and menacing villain the series has ever had. In a way he reminded me of Vaatu, in the sense that both had a certain 'final boss'-vibe to them. I know that a fifth season has been announced, but frankly, after Tirek, I'd be happy if season 5 didn't have a big bad or at least if the hypothetical big bad was something different than another ancient evil from Equestria's past (I guess they could bring back the Changelings, but they already did that in the comics).
I'm going to agree with this.

Last week it was added to Netflix here and I've been watching it off and on over the week.

I really liked it. A definite step up from season 3 which was fairly lopsided, with a lot of fun character moments. Actually, this season to me feels like they had the most fun making the show since season 1. There's a lot of fun character moments, clever turns of phrase, and morals that work more into the story than being the point of them. I also agree that the finale was probably my favorite of all the finales in addressing most of the fan complaints from season 3 (Discord turns good, Princess Twilight is a fanfic come to life) and making them integral to certain storylines. All in all, I thought it was great and is possibly in the running for best season. Don't get the complaints at all.

Bring on season 5!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Spark Of Spirit

The music on the show is remarkably catchy. This could be really good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mr. Big

The long hiatus is over, after nearly a year! And once again, we began with a 2-parter, and quite possibly the best one yet.

Without rambling too much, My Little Pony did a two-part episode about cults and totalitarianism. For a show with over the top villains, this one was the creepiest one they ever had.

Spark Of Spirit

Uncle Joe is rolling in his grave.

It was a great premiere.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Mr. Big on April 06, 2015, 10:36:52 PM
My Little Pony did a two-part episode about cults and totalitarianism.

>_> If you had stated a sentence like this to me years ago, I'd have laughed my head off.

I should try catching up again, I guess. I think the last time I tried, I finished season three and made it about four episodes into season four.

Pharass

Quote from: Mr. Big on April 06, 2015, 10:36:52 PM
The long hiatus is over, after nearly a year! And once again, we began with a 2-parter, and quite possibly the best one yet.

Without rambling too much, My Little Pony did a two-part episode about cults and totalitarianism. For a show with over the top villains, this one was the creepiest one they ever had.

Yeah, I quite liked Starlight as a villain. After having all the previous big bads of the show be ancient evils with vast magic powers*, it was refreshing to have an antagonist who relied mostly on deception and brainwashing instead.

Best line goes to Pinkie Pie: "Laughs don't come in barrels, they come from inside you as your body's response to delight."

*Granted, Chrysalis wasn't an ancient evil like Discord or Nightmare Moon, but otherwise she fits the bill.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

I like how when you think they're going to get through to her by way of logical explanation and how fear-based forced equality is a bad thing she suddenly snaps and begins mocking and yelling at them. That never happens on this show. The episode reminded me of Dash's line from the Incredibles on how if everyone is "special" then no one is, and she bore that out to the very end.

I do hope she comes back. As a villain she was quite the force to be reckoned with.

Pharass

Any thoughts on the latest episode?
Personally, I liked it, but than I tend to enjoy episodes in which one of the main characters snap and end up wrecking havoc (Lesson Zero is a strong contender for my personal favorite episode in the series). Also, I have to admit that I never expected My Little Pony to do a Game of Thrones reference.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Peanutbutter

Been a couple week and I haven't caught the last episodes of season 4 but I plan to rectify that soon. I really, REALLY, loved that season 5 premiere. Two weeks later, and it already holds up perfectly in my mind.

Pharass

Just saw the latest episode. The previous one was pretty lackluster, but this one more than made up for it. Of course, it had both Discord and Maude, two of my favorite characters in it, so it was bound to be entertaining.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Spark Of Spirit

Maude heckling Discord's stand-up was great stuff. It's been a pretty good season so far.

Mr. Big

Today's episode was good. Gilda returned after 5 years.